Photo (map) gallery

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Here is my link to the newspaper:

http://the-ny-ski-area-directory.14272.n6.nabble.com/

I need to set up the subdomain first right? And then redirect it to the above?

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Also here's a list of outstanding items we need to deal with:

NAML customizations
Meta customizations
CSS transfer
Advertising customizations
(What else?)

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
In host name I'd add directory.nyskiblog.com?

Then what would I put in IP address?

Hugo - where it says "points to IP address" - do I use

http://the-ny-ski-area-directory.14272.n6.nabble.com/

or this:

14272.n6.nabble.com/

or this:

http://the-ny-ski-area-directory.14272.n6.nabble.com/embed/f4640692

or something else?

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
You should not enter IP addresses. You should create a CNAME record. Please go to your new app and check the instructions under "Options > Application > Change domain name".

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
You should not enter IP addresses. You should create a CNAME record. Please go to your new app and check the instructions under "Options > Application > Change domain name".
I realize this is not truly a Nabble question but I am wondering about first creating the subdomain itself.

I want to create directory.nyskiblog.com and have the new forum resolve (?) there.

Both of my other subdomains

mag.nyskiblog.com
forum.nyskiblog.com

were originally created as an A record.

BTW CSS is done and was easy - cut and paste from the forum.

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
Yes, first you should setup the subdomain, but you should use the CNAME record as explained in the instructions. The A record isn't a good solution because we may change the IP address of our servers in the future and this would be a problem for custom domains with A records.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Yes, first you should setup the subdomain, but you should use the CNAME record as explained in the instructions. The A record isn't a good solution because we may change the IP address of our servers in the future and this would be a problem for custom domains with A records.
I think I need to use the A record to set up the subdomain. (?)  Not sure, but pretty sure that is how I did it.

Just not sure how to set up the subdomain. What goes in the IP box?

My others look to be using:

216.139.250.152

After that I will follow instructions I promise.

Are my other apps set up ok now for future IP changes?

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Yes, first you should setup the subdomain, but you should use the CNAME record as explained in the instructions. The A record isn't a good solution because we may change the IP address of our servers in the future and this would be a problem for custom domains with A records.
OK domain has been set up as a CNAME record.  (When we get this app set up, I'll ask about how to change my A records to CNAME records.)

I've also changed the parent of the subforum to the new subdomain.  There is an extra app "level" in the new app that I don't want. I can certainly move the topics up one level and delete it - let me know if it is ok to do this now.

Also I can start on redoing the meta titles and descriptions - let me know if I can do that now too.

Next step on your end would be to reinstall the customizations (I hope you don't have to redo the work) and remove them from the old app.

After that we can see what issues remain. (?)

Thanks H.

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
OK domain has been set up as a CNAME record.  (When we get this app set up, I'll ask about how to change my A records to CNAME records.)
Okay. Just follow the instructions and you will be done.
Harvey44 wrote
I've also changed the parent of the subforum to the new subdomain.  There is an extra app "level" in the new app that I don't want. I can certainly move the topics up one level and delete it - let me know if it is ok to do this now.
Go to the root level and click on "Options > Structure > Change parent", then select the "Make child the new root" option.
Harvey44 wrote
Also I can start on redoing the meta titles and descriptions - let me know if I can do that now too.
You can do that.
Harvey44 wrote
Next step on your end would be to reinstall the customizations (I hope you don't have to redo the work) and remove them from the old app.
I moved the map customizations to that app. Please take a look and let me know if you see issues.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
I moved the map customizations to that app. Please take a look and let me know if you see issues.
Looks good at first glance. I will dig into it.

I'm assuming those are Nabble Ads that are showing?  If so can you move 50,000 credits over from the forum and start running my ads?

Thanks so much for everything H.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
I noticed a few things.

I had removed the THREADED option from the original app.  This may have been a modification I made, so I will try to make it again.

One odd thing.

I've included a "mailto" link in each post and checked off the HTML box.

for some reason this will work:

but this won't

when I add in the subject parameter it won't display properly - it shows as raw text.

I also notice it doesn't work here in support so maybe I am crazy, but I was sure it worked before the transfer.

Also it SEEMS like the images I've posted have lost a bit or resolution in the transfer. Is this possible?

I'll keep lookin.

Re: Photo (map)

I noticed that when I subscribed to the Directory (new app) that the notification comes through from "NY Ski Magazine." I totally understand why this is - the code is an IF/THEN, and if it's NOT FORUM then it assumes it must be MAGAZINE.

More questions:

Is it possible to display text in the first post of a "thread" that doesn't appear on main (root) page?  Opposite of  {summary_start}.

Can I do the reverse as well with {summary_start}?  Doesn't seem to be working, or I am doing it wrong.

Would it be possible to add a fourth initial post that would join the three?  (Not sure I want to do this yet).

Could I have one invisible "sub-forum" in the directory?  I limited permissions but subforum still is visible.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
I'm assuming those are Nabble Ads that are showing?  If so can you move 50,000 credits over from the forum and start running my ads?
Done.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
I'm assuming those are Nabble Ads that are showing?  If so can you move 50,000 credits over from the forum and start running my ads?
Done.
Thanks. (Was there some kind of code change for my Adsense Acct that had to be made or did that happen when you did the custom NAML?)

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
I had removed the THREADED option from the original app.  This may have been a modification I made, so I will try to make it again.
I can help you with this, but I need a map page with comments. I couldn't find any. Please post a link if you have one.
Harvey44 wrote
One odd thing.

I've included a "mailto" link in each post and checked off the HTML box.
for some reason this will work:
but this won't
when I add in the subject parameter it won't display properly - it shows as raw text.
I also notice it doesn't work here in support so maybe I am crazy, but I was sure it worked before the transfer.
Replace the space chars with "%20", like this:
Harvey44 wrote
Also it SEEMS like the images I've posted have lost a bit or resolution in the transfer. Is this possible?
I don't think so. You may compare the size of those images and see if there is any different. In the worst case, please try uploading again.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
Thanks. (Was there some kind of code change for my Adsense Acct that had to be made or did that happen when you did the custom NAML?)
I copied the NAML code that handles ads to that directory app. So it is the same code from your forum.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
I noticed that when I subscribed to the Directory (new app) that the notification comes through from "NY Ski Magazine." I totally understand why this is - the code is an IF/THEN, and if it's NOT FORUM then it assumes it must be MAGAZINE.
Is this an issue? If yes, please explain how it should work.
Harvey44 wrote
Is it possible to display text in the first post of a "thread" that doesn't appear on main (root) page?  Opposite of  {summary_start}.
I am confused. Your directory pages don't show any text besides the title of each post. Do you plan to change that? Or are you talking about another page?
Harvey44 wrote
Can I do the reverse as well with {summary_start}?  Doesn't seem to be working, or I am doing it wrong.
Again, what are you trying to do with those tags? The NAML code of the directory page has been modified to show only post titles, so those summary tags will not work there.
Harvey44 wrote
Would it be possible to add a fourth initial post that would join the three?  (Not sure I want to do this yet).
Yes, but all maps should have 4 posts (otherwise it would hard to tell which one has 3 and which one has 4).
Harvey44 wrote
Could I have one invisible "sub-forum" in the directory?  I limited permissions but subforum still is visible.
Yes, but the link helps you finding it. Without the link, you will have to go through the "Manage subcategories" option in the options menu (a few clicks away).

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
I had removed the THREADED option from the original app.  This may have been a modification I made, so I will try to make it again.
I can help you with this, but I need a map page with comments. I couldn't find any. Please post a link if you have one.
Here's a listing with a test comment:

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Belleayre-Ski-Center-td4642457.html

Actually what I'd REALLY want is to only have the LIST option (vs THREADED or CLASSIC) IF it wouldn't list the 2nd and 3rd posts (my original posts) in the LIST view.

Let me hear what you think before you do anything because I may want to add a 4TH post as part of the original 3.

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
I noticed that when I subscribed to the Directory (new app) that the notification comes through from "NY Ski Magazine." I totally understand why this is - the code is an IF/THEN, and if it's NOT FORUM then it assumes it must be MAGAZINE.
Is this an issue? If yes, please explain how it should work.
When someone subscribes to the directory email should come from the NY Ski Area Directory.

Welcome email should say, thank you for subscribing to the NY Ski Area Directory.

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
Is it possible to display text in the first post of a "thread" that doesn't appear on main (root) page?  Opposite of  {summary_start}.
I am confused. Your directory pages don't show any text besides the title of each post. Do you plan to change that? Or are you talking about another page?
Basically I want to be able to precisely control what shows on the main root page.  Right now if I add any text to the first post, it shows on the directory page.

So I'd like to be able to add some specific limited text to the main page (one line underneath the big link), and I'd like to be able to add lots of text to the first MAP post without it showing up on the root pages.