Photo (map) gallery

123456 ... 9

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
How hard would it be to have ONE subforum that displays the first three posts in each thread in Classic and then the rest were in List format?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
Just to confirm: you want to change the topic page of a specific subforum in order to show the first three posts in the classic format and the rest in list format? Is this what you want?

Since this is just for one subforum, we would have to add some if-statements to identify that special subforum, but this shouldn't be so hard. On the other hand, I think it would be strange for users to see a page like that, mainly because the list rows are very thin compared to the classic rows. They could be difficult to spot.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
What I was asking was for the posts/threads within one forum to  show the first three responses in classic and the all the rest in list.

Basically the first three will be part of my listing:

trail map
mountain statistics
mountain history

and I'm thinking it would function like wikipedia - below that people could add to the knowledge of the mountain history.  Originally I thought I could just delete the user comments and ADD the input to the history part of the post, but then you have to explain WHY people are getting email about deleted posts. So I thought if the input was in list form it would be better visually.  Let me know if you understand.  :)

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
You could put the first three posts (trail map + mountain statistics + mountain history) in the root post (using H2 tags to separate the sections). Then people could add comments to the bottom without messing with the first post. This is pretty much how your magazine works. What do you think?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
You could put the first three posts (trail map + mountain statistics + mountain history) in the root post (using H2 tags to separate the sections). Then people could add comments to the bottom without messing with the first post. This is pretty much how your magazine works. What do you think?
That is a pretty simple solution. They only thing it doesn't give me is the ability to link to each part (map, stats, history) with separate links. I will think on it.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
How much work is involve in what I originally proposed? I'm leaning that way.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
It would require some hours of work on the NAML code. Why do you prefer your solution? Because you can't distribute links to those sub-sections?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Yes - I'd like to be able to have separate links for maps, stats and history.

Also puts the ADVERTISEMENT in the middle of the content (between 1 and second post) would could help me sell ad space.

If it's bulky (lots of code that will slow me down) I'll do it the simple way. Still just thinking so don't proceed, but always want to hear your thoughts.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
I think I'd like to do it with three classic posts followed by list replies below.

Ideally I'd be able to customize the ad between posts one and two.

Can you explain to me the downside of this approach?

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
Let's discuss both approaches.

(1) Use one post with H2 sub-sections: In this approach you would have only one post with everything in it. You would use H2 tags to separate the contents. We could make a small NAML change that would let you link to specific sub-sections, so linking shouldn't be a problem anymore. The downside is that you wouldn't be able to easily place the ads between the sections (you would have to write the post in HTML format and paste the ads code where you want). The advantage of this approach is that the page would look cleaner (with headers and sub-headers to guide the reader). Also, the NAML change would be small.

(2) Use three fixed posts at the top: This is a bit more complex because we would have to show the first three posts in all pages of the discussion (imagine tons of comments there, several pages to browse). The advantage here is that we would use NAML to place the ads where you want (we would explain to you how to change the position later). The downside is that the page would look like a discussion instead of a "magazine" page, with your avatar close to each sub-section, etc. This could confuse some users, but I am not sure. We could change this with NAML as well and try to make the page cleaner, but I would have to take a closer look when I get to that point.

Please think about both approaches and let me know what you want. Depending on the amount of work, it may take a while to be done.

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Harvey
Hugo - are you saying that in (2) the three classic "posts" would be at the top of each page?

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Photo-map-gallery-tp7043636p7271527.html
To unsubscribe from Photo (map) gallery, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog

Re: Photo (map) gallery

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
Hugo - are you saying that in (2) the three classic "posts" would be at the top of each page?
Yes. The magazine/news app always shows the root post at the top of each page. So I thought you would like to do the same with your sub-sections, is that correct?

Besides that, I was looking at the NAML code and trying to understand how this would work. For example, you go to the maps area and create a new map. After saving your root post, you would have to create two new replies for your sub-sections. If someone posts a reply before you finish the first or second reply (imagine you delay their creation for some reason), the user's post will become the sub-section and will mess your post. Also, sub-sections will have to display the options menu close to them so that you can edit them and also grab their permalinks.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey

Hugo my plan is to build all three posts in private first.

(via mobile)

On Feb 10, 2012 9:05 PM, "Hugo &lt;Nabble&gt; [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Harvey44 wrote
[...]

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Photo-map-gallery-tp7043636p7275022.html
To unsubscribe from Photo (map) gallery, click here.
NAML

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
Hugo my plan is to build all three posts in private first.
Okay, this should work. I've made the first changes to your NAML code, so now you can see how it looks (see example). Please let me know what you think.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
We seem to have misunderstood each other.

Take a look at this link:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Big-Tupper-Ski-Area-td3553595.html#a3744044

I'm looking for three CLASSIC posts at the top and then go to threaded after that.

Also there seem to now be issues with permalinks not linking to the proper spot. Not in all cases but in some cases the permalink you get for the top post is leading me to the second or third post.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
This (partial) image shows the bottom of the first post (the map) the area for stat (second post - but the title isn't showing) and the third post which does have a title:

for some reason the ad seems to be showing between the second and third posts.

Also is it possible to "define" the areas for each of the first three posts?

Plus I'm not sure about one thing - on the subsequent pages - I don't want any classic posts, just LIST. Is this possible?

From what I can tell permalink issues seem to be gone.

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
This (partial) image shows the bottom of the first post (the map) the area for stat (second post - but the title isn't showing) and the third post which does have a title...
That's true. I changed the code to show the title and also fixed an issue with permalinks (now the permalink to each subsection works fine).
Harvey44 wrote
for some reason the ad seems to be showing between the second and third posts.
No, the ad is currently displayed after the third post.
Harvey44 wrote
Also is it possible to "define" the areas for each of the first three posts?
I don't follow. What do you mean by "area"?
Harvey44 wrote
Plus I'm not sure about one thing - on the subsequent pages - I don't want any classic posts, just LIST. Is this possible?
This doesn't make sense. If you want threaded comments, then there are no subsequent pages. The threaded view doesn't have pagination and all posts are displayed on the same page. You should also know that your idea of having three classic posts and then threaded comments is quite difficult to implement. Our views were not designed to be mixed like that, so we would have to practically re-create a new view for your case (premium support doesn't cover complex cases like that). So I think we should try to keep this simple and have the first three posts in a custom format (like they are now) and have any of the three views for the comments (classic, threaded or list). To tell you the truth, I like the classic comments as they are now (we could change subsequent pages to show comments only if you prefer), but the final decision is yours.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
I was actually hoping the ad would go between the first and second post.  My thought was that I might be able to sell that spot to the ski area I was highlighting. Your way (after the third) probably looks better, so lets leave it for now.

By defining the "area" I meant some kind of border similar to the way we put light space around the advertising. Not sure how it should look (light blue rule?) but some way to show that the three "posts" are separate. Or maybe just a light blue horizontal bar with rounded edges that separates the three content areas without going all the way to the sides.

I don't seem to understand how LIST view works (I thought it would go on to subsequent pages after 20 comments).  What does it mean to "show comments only on subsequent pages?" How would that be different from the way it is now?  Subsequent pages will actually be comments (no new content from me) so what do you recommend?

With the permalinks - now all three links (for the first three "posts") seem to  serve up the top (1st) post.  This only SEEMS to be happening in that one subforum.

Sorry to make this hard.  Let's try it the way it is. (Understand that when I ask this stuff I have no idea how hard it is).

If I ultimately abandon ship on this is alot of work to go back to your original idea (just using H2s)?

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
By defining the "area" I meant some kind of border similar to the way we put light space around the advertising. Not sure how it should look (light blue rule?) but some way to show that the three "posts" are separate. Or maybe just a light blue horizontal bar with rounded edges that separates the three content areas without going all the way to the sides.
I added a thin line that helps in this sense, please take a look. We can change that as you want.
Harvey44 wrote
I don't seem to understand how LIST view works (I thought it would go on to subsequent pages after 20 comments).  What does it mean to "show comments only on subsequent pages?" How would that be different from the way it is now?  Subsequent pages will actually be comments (no new content from me) so what do you recommend?
At this point, all pages show the first three posts at the top. If you think those top posts should be displayed only at page 1, then let me know because I will have to change the NAML code.
Harvey44 wrote
With the permalinks - now all three links (for the first three "posts") seem to  serve up the top (1st) post.  This only SEEMS to be happening in that one subforum.
Fixed.
Harvey44 wrote
Sorry to make this hard.  Let's try it the way it is. (Understand that when I ask this stuff I have no idea how hard it is).
No need to apologize. You didn't make it hard. I was also unaware of the complexities until I looked at the code and tried to change it.
Harvey44 wrote
If I ultimately abandon ship on this is alot of work to go back to your original idea (just using H2s)?
It wasn't much work. The problem of my original idea is linking to those sub-sections. The current approach works fine, so you may continue with it.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Hugo the line looks good. Is it something I can edit? I'd like to try it 2 px wide and in the blue color.

I still am confused on some issues, and will get back to you on then in the near future.
HTTPS Please!
123456 ... 9