Photo (map) gallery

1 ... 3456789

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
This must be a permissions issue. I just can't figure it out.

Why doesn't this post:

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Allegany-Nordic-td4648717.html

appear in the root directory?

This seems to work (ie shows in the root) when I INHERIT view permissions, but not when I MODIFY, but set them exactly the same as the INHERIT permissions.  Either a bug or I am missing something.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Another Question:

At the root level, and in subcategories, I want the ski areas to be alphabetized.  Right now they are organized by TIME - most recent post at the top.

To put them in alpha order, I've created a master list of names and specifically set  the post times to alphabetize them.  It's kind of a pain, but not impossible. Ultimately I'll have maybe 80 ski areas and once I do it (set the times) it will be done.

I was smart enough to leave space BETWEEN the times by going 10:00, 10:05, 10:10 etc so I could add additional ski areas IN BETWEEN.

If there is an easy way to alphabetize vs organize by time I would request it.  If it would take you hours to make that work, I'll just handle the time method myself.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
Actually what I'd REALLY want is to only have the LIST option (vs THREADED or CLASSIC) IF it wouldn't list the 2nd and 3rd posts (my original posts) in the LIST view.
I remember I tried to do this and it was quite hard to mix the views in just one page. I can look into this again if you think this is the way to go. Just let me know.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
Basically I want to be able to precisely control what shows on the main root page.  Right now if I add any text to the first post, it shows on the directory page.
Are you sure? Can you add a test line in one of those maps so that I can see the issue?
Harvey44 wrote
So I'd like to be able to add some specific limited text to the main page (one line underneath the big link), and I'd like to be able to add lots of text to the first MAP post without it showing up on the root pages.
So what you want could be done with the {summary_start} and {summary_end} tags, right?

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey44 wrote
This seems to work (ie shows in the root) when I INHERIT view permissions, but not when I MODIFY, but set them exactly the same as the INHERIT permissions.  Either a bug or I am missing something.
The VIEW permission in "Nordic Ski Areas of NY" is set for admins and members only. You should set the ANYONE box if you want it to show up in the root page.

Re: Photo (map)

I remember too - you said it was tough. I will think about an easier way to do this.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Harvey44 wrote
Actually what I'd REALLY want is to only have the LIST option (vs THREADED or CLASSIC) IF it wouldn't list the 2nd and 3rd posts (my original posts) in the LIST view.
I remember I tried to do this and it was quite hard to mix the views in just one page. I can look into this again if you think this is the way to go. Just let me know.
Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Photo-map-gallery-tp7043636p7399816.html
To unsubscribe from Photo (map) gallery, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog

Re: Photo (map)

I actually changed the permissions after I posted the above. I can change it back to check.

Harvey44 wrote

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Photo-map-gallery-tp7043636p7399845.html
To unsubscribe from Photo (map) gallery, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog
----------
Harvey Road: www.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Forum: forum.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Magazine: mag.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Directory: directory.NYSkiBlog.com

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
Basically I want to be able to precisely control what shows on the main root page.  Right now if I add any text to the first post, it shows on the directory page.
Are you sure? Can you add a test line in one of those maps so that I can see the issue?
Here is an example:

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Nordic-Ski-Areas-of-NY-f4642515.html

It does this in all cases.

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
So I'd like to be able to add some specific limited text to the main page (one line underneath the big link), and I'd like to be able to add lots of text to the first MAP post without it showing up on the root pages.
So what you want could be done with the {summary_start} and {summary_end} tags, right?
The {summary } would help with the part  of posting things that would show on the root page and not show in the first post.

But I would also like to do the reverse, post things on the first thread that wouldn't show on the root page.

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
The {summary } would help with the part  of posting things that would show on the root page and not show in the first post.

But I would also like to do the reverse, post things on the first thread that wouldn't show on the root page.
Please look again at the Garnet Hill post:
http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Garnet-Hill-tp4649779p4649779.html

I've set the summary and also some text that will only be displayed on the post page (not visible on the root page). Does that work for you?

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Looks great. The HTML works too.

You know me - I'll keep banging on it.  :)

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Garnet-Hill-tp4649779p4649779.html;cid=1332530689526-529

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Photo-map-gallery-tp7043636p7400446.html
[...]

I changed my mind on this one. Some advantages to being able to precisely control the order.  I can do it all in ALPHA (already did  it) and still push a few items to the end of list.

Never mind and thank you!

Re: Photo (map)

Relating to  the {summary} feature -

Is there a way to GLOBALLY (CSS vs inline?) change the color and size of the font that the summary text is displayed in?

Re: Photo (map)

GregChapman
Same as my other answer about font size...

Wrap the text within the {summary} tags within a tag with a specified class, e.g. < p class="summary">...</p> and define the colour for that class within the CSS dialogue on the customise appearance bar.

(Incidentally, it is probable, in my answer about a "one line" in a special size, that I should have suggested that be tagged as a paragraph, rather than the < span > as well.)

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
GregChapman wrote
Same as my other answer about font size...

Wrap the text within the {summary} tags within a tag with a specified class, e.g. < p class="summary">...</p> and define the colour for that class within the CSS dialogue on the customise appearance bar.

(Incidentally, it is probable, in my answer about a "one line" in a special size, that I should have suggested that be tagged as a paragraph, rather than the < span > as well.)
Greg I don't really know how to write CSS.  I assume I have to create a class, but not sure how to do that.

Hugo wrote these two classes for me that put borders around images for me:

.double { border: 12px double white; }
.single { border: 8px solid white; }

could I just add another right below it:

.summary {font: gray;}

to change the color?  How to add something to reduce the font size by 20%?

I assume I still have to add something inline but not sure how to do that within the summary text.

Re: Photo (map)

GregChapman
Harvey44 wrote
Greg I don't really know how to write CSS.  I assume I have to create a class, but not sure how to do that.

could I just add another right below it:

.summary {font: gray;}

to change the color?
Yes... almost! The correct format is:

.summary {color: gray;}

This creates a rule for styling any HTML element (the technical name for what are usually called tags) which you specify is to be of that named class. It defines the foreground colour for the element. Should you wish to give the text a highlighter pen effect then you could also add a background colour to the rule. e.g.:

.summary {color: gray; background-color: yellow;}

If that was the rule it could be applied to any paragraph like this:

(You can tell I'm British can't you? Isn't our spelling wonderful!)

How to add something to reduce the font size by 20%?
To give a definitive answer I'd need to know exactly how the page you are editing is built. Cascading Style Sheets gets their name because rules cascade through the document with many features inherited from the "parent" elements in which they are contained.

I'll assume that the line that needs to be small is within its own paragraph tags (<p>...</p>) and that no absolute units, (such as px, cm or in) have been used to define the size of other adjacent paragraphs (i.e. they are not inheriting an absolute size from any common parent element). With this caveat it should be possible to reduce the size of the paragraph by applying a logical unit to it, such as em, and making it 0.8em of the size that the neighbouring paragraphs would have. e.g.:

.specialsize {font-size: 0.8em;}

If you are not used to the em unit then the link below provides a useful introduction:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/css2em.htm
I assume I still have to add something inline but not sure how to do that within the summary text.
You do have to tell the browser which elements are to be rendered using the CSS rule. Something like this should do the job:

{summary_start}<p class="summary">The text to replace the default 300 character summary used by a Nabble newspaper goes here. It will be formatted according to the styling rules for a paragraph of class "summary".</p>{summary_end}

or

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
The easiest option is to add a CSS rule like this:
div.node-snippet { color:gray; }
This will affect all snippets.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
Hugo - what are the other snippets?

I'm assuming I could also add font sizing info here?

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Photo-map-gallery-tp7043636p7406952.html
To unsubscribe from Photo (map) gallery, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog
----------
Harvey Road: www.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Forum: forum.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Magazine: mag.NYSkiBlog.com
NY Ski Directory: directory.NYSkiBlog.com

Re: Photo (map)

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey44 wrote
Hugo - what are the other snippets?
I mean the snippets of all maps in the directory. If you want to change the snippet of an individual map, then you have to use tags like Greg explained.

Re: Photo (map)

Harvey
OK just want to make sure that other pieces of text besides the {summary} text under the titles won't also be affected.

To include font size would this work:

div.node-snippet { color:gray; size: 80% }

?
HTTPS Please!
1 ... 3456789