Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
Hi,

I have just realised that I have not received any posts via email on this forum:
http://horse-barns-mail-list.11180.n6.nabble.com/
since 4 Nov 12, 07:05

I have checked the spam folder at my ISP. There's nothing there.

I have unsubscribed and resubscribed myself using the special "Add Subscribers" module you installed for me. I thought that it used to mail out a "You have been subscribed" notification. However, I have received nothing.

I did attempt an edit of the "topics_action_link" macro earlier today that contained errors and seemed to crash the system losing at least some of my colour scheme configuration settings. I corrected it and then removed it a few minutes later. However, I now realise that the lack of mail may have started earlier than this event.

I am reluctant to send a set of test messages to this particular forum. Can you identify any fault?

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Pedro
Hi Greg,
I've checked your macros and didn't find anything wrong.
Could you try to create a new topic?
I've just get registered on your forum and received the activation email normally, may be it is everything ok now.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Harvey
I just got this from Elena:

Dear Yea.com, Nyskiblog and Horsebarns,

I'm writing you in order to inform you that your questions about your nabble forum were sent to my email account, I guess automatically from nabble, there must be probably an error in the system (sorry for my english, I'm writing from Italy and have on my site a nabble forum too...).
I hope this email could help, beautiful and interesting sites!

Have a nice day, (night maybe...),
Elena

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
I did wonder if it was relevant to this case, but think it's more likely that she may have subscribed to the whole Support forum without realising that she would get the answers to everyone else's questions as well as her own.

I have written to her privately asking if this was a possibility. No response yet.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
I now have a response. It includes:
Sorry Greg, I did'nt understood what you mean about the support account of
nabble...

anyway this is the mail I received from you, and I guess it was addressed
to Nabble.
My original message in this topic is appended in exactly the format expected when someone subscribes to the forum.

It would appear that Elena has subscribed to the entire forum in error - or there is a more serious general bug in Nabble's mail/subscription system.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Pedro
do you have the Elena's email?

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
Sent to your avatar address!

Re: Subscriptions Failed

<[hidden email]>

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
do you have the Elena's email?

To unsubscribe from Subscriptions Failed, click here.
NAML

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
This is beginning to look like a more general failure.

I posted the following on my forum:
http://npopuk-forum.986084.n3.nabble.com/Fwd-dragging-and-dropping-images-tp4022659.html
although subscribed neither my original message nor the reply I now see has been posted has arrived in my Inbox, nor my response to that reply via the forum.

As the initial reply has clearly been sent for an email program I must assume the other subscriber is receiving his mail. I have checked that the spam folder at my ISP's mailbox is empty and their service status reports all services, including email, up and running.

Any clues?

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Pedro
That's strange, I've received it in my email.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
In the case of the nPOPuk forum other administrators also report receiving notification of new registrations that are not arriving in my Inbox.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Yes, she has subscribed this forum.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Hugo <Nabble>
I unsubscribed Elena from this support forum.

Greg, do you still have issues with email delivery? I don't see many users complaining about this. So this may be related to your inbox or – in the worst case – to your forum. I just registered my email there and it worked fine. Please let me know so that we can track down the issues.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
I do now have a reason to post to the Horse Barns mail list, so will do that later tonight and report outcome.

I am happy to post test messages to the nPOPuk forum and will do that also.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
I have posted by email to the new topic "Re: Roadway". It has appeared at:
http://horse-barns-mail-list.11180.n6.nabble.com/Re-Roadway-tp4999220.html
but not in my Inbox - and you'll recall that there is a special over-ride in the macros on that forum that you wrote for me that is supposed to ensure that I do receive my posts back.

See:
http://support.nabble.com/Convert-Forum-to-Mail-List-td7580384.html#a7580495

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Pedro
It's strange, I just received the post in my email.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Something is rejecting those messages and I just found this in the logs:
2012-11-12 16:16:59 1TY4BU-00052g-4R ** gregYYYY@XXXseahawk17.plus.com
R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.8.200]: 552 Spam Message Rejected
I added trash to your email above in order to protect it. But as you can see, our server got a message:  552 Spam Message Rejected.
Do you have any email redirect setup for that account?
Do you see any configuration on your side that could explain this?

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
It seems so.

At my ISP (PlusNet) I have always had "Spam Filtering" set on, the default setting.  A note beside this reads:
With spam filtering turned on, emails sent from mailservers with a bad SenderBase reputation will be rejected and bounced back to the sender. Emails that pass this first check are scanned and given a spam rating. What happens then depends on the settings which follow.
This first check seems to be handled by the folk at: http://www.cloudmark.com/

The notes then say:
Email that passes this first check is scanned and given a spam rating. What happens next depends on the settings you choose on the Spam tab in Manage My Mail.
In my case these are all the defaults and should place suspect mail in the Spam folder, of my ISP's webmail service with a [SPAM -] tag to the subject line. My Spam folder remains empty. So it seems that Nabble addresses are currently have a "bad SenderBase reputation" according to CloudMark and as this is new behaviour for me I guess is a recent change in status.

It seems I can white list mail addresses but this only seems to apply to the second stage. As Nabble mail fails the first CloudMark check, it seems all I can do is turn that off.

I guess this explains why two of my neighbours (customers of BTInternet and AOL) who subscribe to the HorseBarns mail list have reported either not getting mail from the list or that their ISP prefixes it spam. If Nabble are unable to get the CloudMark rating improved, I guess my only solution is to move my subscriptions to alternative email providers that are more accommodating, as I am not keen on lifting my ISP's spam filtering - but then I have good reasons for using the subscription addresses I use (a "seahawk17" address for my SeaHawk forum and a "horsebarns" address for the Horse Barns mail list.).

Re: Subscriptions Failed

GregChapman
After a few hours in sleep, I realise what I should have said last night was...

My concern is that if nabble.com has been blacklisted by a major spam fighting service then that implies that one or more of your users is abusing your service. Can you discover from Cloudmark who this might be block their use of the service and get the blacklisting lifted.

Obviously, as a Nabble user, I'd prefer this solution that to lift the spam filtering at my ISP.

Re: Subscriptions Failed

Pedro
Hi Greg,

I had talked to Cloudmark and they told me that Nabble is not in their black list. They also told me to give them same samples of blocked messages so they could try to check what is happening.

Could you contact them?