Downsizing Nabble

1234 ... 6

Downsizing Nabble

Franklin
Administrator
We will downsize Nabble to one server.  Forum owners who want their forum preserved can post to this support forum to let us know to move their forum to that one server.  Note that we no longer do mailing list archiving, so if you own an old mailing list archive, there is no point to preserving it.  We will move forums one server at a time and we will notify forum owners on each server in turn.  This process will be smoother if you have a custom domain.  If you don't have a custom domain then your URL will change.  Here are the steps in the process:

1.  You will be notified when your forum needs to be moved.
2.  If you have a custom domain then change its DNS to be a CNAME record pointing to move.nabble.com .  This allows us to move your forum without disruption.
3.  Post a new thread to this support forum asking for your forum to be moved.
4.  When it has been moved then you will get a reply to your post.  If you have a custom domain, you should now change your DNS to point to s1.nabble.com .

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Gary Lewis
Franklin - Thanks for the warning.

I do want my forum preserved, for sure.  But if it is possible maybe you could put N8 towards the end of the migration?  That's because we are still working to move the forum to our AWS servers, but we aren't "there" quite yet.  So if we could be later in the process then it might save you the work to move it and us the effort to move it and then move it again.

Again, thanks for the heads-up.  And if you can help Pedro get our instance on the AWS servers going, we'd be gone and would probably take others with us.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Franklin
Administrator
N8 will be done last.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Gary Lewis
Thanks!  Any guess when that might be?  Just needing to know how much to push.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Franklin
Administrator
I don't know, a few weeks maybe.  In the worst case you can move to S1 first and then to your server later.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Gary Lewis
Thanks.  I'll see if Pedro can get us going in that timeframe.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Israel <Nabble>
Gary, we're going to start with the n2 server, the n8 are going to be last one.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Gary Lewis
Thanks, Israel.  Pedro is working on our instance of Nabble on the AWS servers.  He has a few things to iron out for my forum.  However, Patti's (stmpspaz) forum may take more effort.  So we may ask for help to get that one going so you won't have to move it.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Downsizing Nabble

fortuna
Thanks for the warning.

I do want my forum preserved, for sure.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Please copy and paste the link to your site here.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

trasimaco
Please preserve my forum.

Thank you.

Blessings.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
What is the link to your site?

Re: Downsizing Nabble

siko1056
Dear Franklin,

Many thanks from the GNU Octave project http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/ that we could make use of your service for many years.  It really improved our mailing-list communication a lot   John W. Eaton is the "owner" of the nabble forum and might get in touch with you as well https://octave.discourse.group/t/nabble-forum-mailing-list-mirror/1420.  I mostly care for Octaves' website etc., that is why I contact you.

We are interested in keeping those many many nabble-links we posted over the years in tact.  However, regarding the described procedure, I have a few questions:

1. We cannot redirect our domain octave.org entirely to move.nabble.com (it might be not hard to guess that we use it for our software project and not only for the mailing-list).  Does it mean that we need a "new" unused domain for the procedure?  Do we have to use that domain "forever", thus we should not use a "temporary/bad name", e.g. "shitty-software.com" will be the permanent link in the future?

2. Do you keep you servers online and only stop copying new messages, etc., or do we have to host the data in the future?

3. Can you give a brief description how a permalink, e.g. https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/fix-for-broken-idx-vector-cc-fix-td1642391.html, will be treated in after the moving?

Thank you very much for your time and effort,

Kai

Re: Downsizing Nabble

grampajohn
I just saw this today; for some reason I have not received an email about moving it. Our forum http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/ has gone offline and I'm getting emails asking what happened to it. I have been the admin for this forum since 2010. Thanks.

John Collins

Re: Downsizing Nabble

KeithWE6R
We would like the Elecraft forum to be moved.
I did start a new thread.
Thanks!
Keith WE6R

Re: Downsizing Nabble