We will downsize Nabble to one server. Forum owners who want their forum preserved can post to this support forum to let us know to move their forum to that one server. Note that we no longer do mailing list archiving, so if you own an old mailing list archive, there is no point to preserving it. We will move forums one server at a time and we will notify forum owners on each server in turn. This process will be smoother if you have a custom domain. If you don't have a custom domain then your URL will change. Here are the steps in the process:
1. You will be notified when your forum needs to be moved.
2. If you have a custom domain then change its DNS to be a CNAME record pointing to move.nabble.com . This allows us to move your forum without disruption.
3. Post a new thread to this support forum asking for your forum to be moved.
4. When it has been moved then you will get a reply to your post. If you have a custom domain, you should now change your DNS to point to s1.nabble.com .
I do want my forum preserved, for sure. But if it is possible maybe you could put N8 towards the end of the migration? That's because we are still working to move the forum to our AWS servers, but we aren't "there" quite yet. So if we could be later in the process then it might save you the work to move it and us the effort to move it and then move it again.
Again, thanks for the heads-up. And if you can help Pedro get our instance on the AWS servers going, we'd be gone and would probably take others with us.
Thanks, Israel. Pedro is working on our instance of Nabble on the AWS servers. He has a few things to iron out for my forum. However, Patti's (stmpspaz) forum may take more effort. So we may ask for help to get that one going so you won't have to move it.
We are interested in keeping those many many nabble-links we posted over the years in tact. However, regarding the described procedure, I have a few questions:
1. We cannot redirect our domain octave.org entirely to move.nabble.com (it might be not hard to guess that we use it for our software project and not only for the mailing-list). Does it mean that we need a "new" unused domain for the procedure? Do we have to use that domain "forever", thus we should not use a "temporary/bad name", e.g. "shitty-software.com" will be the permanent link in the future?
2. Do you keep you servers online and only stop copying new messages, etc., or do we have to host the data in the future?
I just saw this today; for some reason I have not received an email about moving it. Our forum http://power-tac-developers.975333.n3.nabble.com/ has gone offline and I'm getting emails asking what happened to it. I have been the admin for this forum since 2010. Thanks.