Your wish list for Nabble

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Graham Perrin
My revised list of five wishes.

#1 I treat as a blocker.

1. Searches should not exclude private areas; search is of paramount importance. If a search can't reveal the forum in which something exists, how can I guess where that thing is?

2. Improve threaded views: allow the viewer to normalise the chronological order of the branches within the tree.

3. To existing privacy, add security and encryption: SSL.

4. Nabble as an OpenID consumer.

5. Allow the forum owner to obscure avatars by default.

Thanks
Graham

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

is_maximum
Hi

1) The worst thing about Nabble is that finding your desired forum is a bit hard. When I come to home page I put OpenEJB to find my forum and the result is threads posted in other forum which none of them may related to the OpenEJB and I have to spend time to find my forum. A forum search is very inportant not searching through contents of the posts.

2) If subscribing in original forum was automatically done through the Nabble and not by confirming through my email the Nabble would become the greatest website. However still I think it's a great one

3) Optimazing the search. Just like Google in which you can vote up for each search so they can understand when you type the same OpenEJB then you definetely interested in software and programming rather that funny stuff :)

4) since there are many forums related to programming it would be nice if you feature a <code> or [code] tag so when I put my snippet code for people to see and want it to be in a different view in context I can easily use this tag.

5) I wish many other forums that are not in Nabble one day join :)
--
Regards
Mohammad
Pixelshot

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Hugo <Nabble>
is_maximum wrote
1) The worst thing about Nabble is that finding your desired forum is a bit hard. When I come to home page I put OpenEJB to find my forum and the result is threads posted in other forum which none of them may related to the OpenEJB and I have to spend time to find my forum. A forum search is very inportant not searching through contents of the posts.
For this case, you can use the flag feature. You should click on the flag (after the Options link) in a forum and you can visit your flagged items by clicking on the red flag at the top right corner of the screen (close to your user name).
is_maximum wrote
4) since there are many forums related to programming it would be nice if you feature a <code> or [code] tag so when I put my snippet code for people to see and want it to be in a different view in context I can easily use this tag.
We have the <raw> tag for this purpose. Example:
/* Sample code */
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
    print(i);
}
Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Strider
I just started using Nabble recently. I'm very impressed but I would like to see a couple of improvements.

*1. I wish the forum would allow me to view more than 6 topics in the Nabble Mixed View. (I personally think 10 would be better.) Also, this same rule applies to the galleries, because there, I wish I could only show the first 3 images instead of 6. Just an option that allows us to choose how many topics/images we can see in the mixed view would be very nice.

2. I wish I could remove the default emoticons and add my own.

3. Custom images for use as folder/discussion icons sounds really good.

4. PM system is very important.

Other than that, I think these forums have provided all of my needs. =)

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Chris Spizzirri
I'd like to add to my list.
  1. Make admins superusers, or otherwise fix the restriction from deleting user created forums. (I like that users can create forums and sub-forums, but I want to be able to remove or move them when necessary.)
  2. User profile pages that show more than just their posts and allow them to share info about themselves.
  3. Remove the 'Nabble owns all your content' language in the terms of use. (I wouldn't mind if I had a public forum--that's all in the public domain anyway--but I'm running a private forum and am bothered by the idea that Nabble owns my users' content. My users would be very upset to see anything they wrote in our private forum displayed by Nabble or otherwise made public.)
-c

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Hugo <Nabble>
Chris Spizzirri wrote
1. Make admins superusers, or otherwise fix the restriction from deleting user created forums.  (I like that users can create forums and sub-forums, but I want to be able to remove or move them when necessary.)
If you are the forum owner, you can remove any sub-forum you want (note that remove isn't permanent deletion -- the idea is that the sub-forum just won't be under your forum anymore). You can do that by clicking on "Options > Structure > Manage sub-forums".
Chris Spizzirri wrote
2. User profile pages that show more than just their posts and allow them to share info about themselves.
This should be added soon.
Chris Spizzirri wrote
3. Remove the 'Nabble owns all your content' language in the terms of use.  (I wouldn't mind if I had a public forum--that's all in the public domain anyway--but I'm running a private forum and am bothered by the idea that Nabble owns my users' content.  My users would be very upset to see anything they wrote in our private forum displayed by Nabble or otherwise made public.)
We will never make public a private content, unless the forum owner wants to do so. The only exception to this case is when a thread is removed from a private forum. This makes the thread public in the author's profile page, but we are working on a fix for this. The "Nabble owns all your content" sentence is needed because we must delete spams and other contents that violate legal rights, etc.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Chris Spizzirri
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Chris Spizzirri wrote
1. Make admins superusers, or otherwise fix the restriction from deleting user created forums.  (I like that users can create forums and sub-forums, but I want to be able to remove or move them when necessary.)
If you are the forum owner, you can remove any sub-forum you want (note that remove isn't permanent deletion -- the idea is that the sub-forum just won't be under your forum anymore). You can do that by clicking on "Options > Structure > Manage sub-forums".
Thanks Hugo.  I forgot about that, but it seems out of place.  In a forum I create, there's a 'Delete' option in the 'Options' dropdown but it's not there for forums I don't create.  Is there a way to preserve the 'Delete' option for user-created forums?

Also, thanks for the insight on the TOS content usage/ownership language.  That's understandable and comforting to know.  I'll be sharing that info with my users--they'll be very happy to hear.

Keep up the great work!
-c

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Admin (Matt)
A simple contact form
An e-mail 'this to' to a friend widget
Chat room
Searching the gallery - return the results as a gallery not a list

It is a brilliant widget you have made for us all to share in. Thanks for all your hard work.

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Strider
I can't post on the update page so I just wanted to say wow, thanks Hugo & Nabble for the updates. It just keeps getting better!

How about a polling option? That would be neat.

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

☪Not_A_Admin
if you go to pspiso.com it uses a good forum display it has a forums > then subforums < then threads and all of it can be seen from  the forum page itself , if u dont understand go to pspiso.com and have a look.
And ALSO i think it shouldthe owners only make new sub forums because ppl just come along and mess it up or delete threads made by moderators ( well in myne that is)

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

mrravin
i am a new user to nabble, but i use my blog and wiki extensively in my classroom with students.  we are super excited about having a forum to review and recommend books to each other.  but i'll need to create way to many new forums with the same properties )topics, sub topics, etc).  i'd like a way to reproduce/copy the forum into a new forum.  is this possible?

#1 I treat as a blocker.

1. Searches should not exclude private areas; search is of paramount importance. If a search can't reveal the forum in which something exists, how can I guess where that thing is?

2. For registered, logged-in users: server-side marking of read messages.

3. Improve threaded views: allow the viewer to normalise the chronological order of the branches within the tree.

4. To existing privacy, add security and encryption: SSL.

5. Nabble as an OpenID consumer.

Thanks
Graham

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Snappa
Accolades to the Nabble Team, job well done, this is a great forum.

Here are my wish list (in order of priority):

1. Usage statistics – to find out user’s behaviour so you can cater for their requirements to maximize forum usage.
2. Chat room – I had been asked so many times , we are currently using Google Talk but that means login to another apps.
3. A prominent Logout button
4. Some sort of a Ranking System
5. Labels

Cheers
Cheers -Snapper-

Re: Your wish list for Nabble - Calendar

britishpages
Sorry I cannot think of 5 right now, but the one thing I would love to see and use would be a embeddable Calendar.

A calendar so that your community can post events to dates. Also security feature so you can review posts for making hem live in the Calendar.

I can imagine alot of groups/communities/clubs/social groups and business would find this very useful.

Re: Your wish list for Nabble - Calendar

brettramsay
I would like to have the ability to moderate and screen posts before people post them. Doing so would make using this program much safer in a public workplace.

Blog options

BritishDude
Not that Nabble is trying to copy other blog programs, but it is really useful to exchange links with other bloggers (on similar topics) to increase hits. I noticed that other blog programs allow you to add a list of links to other bloggers, usually on the right side of the page. Would be cool if we could add this feature? Or can we do it now?

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

ABC moderator
Hi Translation in Dutch

Re: Blog options

BritishDude
also, has anyone suggested classified adverts? I guess I could already set this up using forums perhaps.

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Pinaki Poddar
1. Support for the administrator(s) to add/edit a news/poster/header/notice on the main page of the forum -- often we need to make an announcement to our users or collect a opinion poll/feedback (such as this one:)

2.  Support for read-only access (I did not say Web Service -- but something like that) to message meta-data (and if possibly data). We want statistical/semantic analysis on the user posts (e.g. what are the 10 most common keywords in  user message titles, what is the average number of posts on a discussion thread, what is the average active lifetime of a thread etc.)

3. Response Ranking: in our forum we often answer/support our growing user base. We will like a mechanics such that user X can award credit points to user Y who has given X a helpful advice to resolve an issue.

4. Categorization or Tagging: The administrator will be able to categorize a thread with one or ore tags (similar to labeling but label-to-message is 1:1 whereas tag-to-message is N:1).
Pinaki

Re: Your wish list for Nabble

Pinaki Poddar
Hi,
  I must mention that we are greatly benefited by Nabble every day. It is an excellent, reliable service and with a clean (uncluttered), functional interface.
Pinaki
12345