Https Protocol Request

1 ... 12131415161718 ... 27

Re: Https Request Please

GregChapman
Hi Raven,
Raven<Nabble> wrote
There is some sort of DNS issue which prevented me from dealing with your site. I can't access either gregafloat.org.uk or aivuk.org.uk or the respective subdomains from my computer, since late yesterday. My computer is using Google DNS which doesn't show anything for your sites, just a resolution failure.
https://dns.google.com/query?name=gregafloat.org.uk
interesting info page linked to from above that shows a lot of errors:
https://intodns.com/gregafloat.org.uk
same thing for the other one
https://dns.google.com/query?name=aivuk.org.uk&type=A&dnssec=true
https://intodns.com/aivuk.org.uk
I'll investigate that! All I know at the moment is that my hosts Service Status page warns me that all the old "Compila" hosting customers will need to change the nameservers within the next month: https://help.tsohost.com/status/report/9211
Removed the redirect for gregafloat.
The setting for this is in:
(accessing from the site you're embedding in)
Options > Embedding options > Redirect Users
So gregafloat should be fine now.
It's not working as I expect, but that may be related to the subdomain settings I mention in my previous post.
Currently, if I enter: https://www.gregafloat.org.uk/blog/index.html I just get the Nabble link to the forum as do all those who embed their forum in an https page.
If I enter https://blog.gregafloat.org.uk/ I get an un-embedded blog
For aivuk what needs to be done is to set the domain name. You can do this yourself if you want.
options > application > change domain name, set it to forum.aivuk.org.uk
I'm getting an error when I try to change the settings, probably Nabble can't get anything from the DNS. So we'll probably have to wait until your DNS issues are resolved.
I strongly suspect I need to make changes in my subdomain settings before this will work. I'll await your guidance after you read my previous post.

Re: Https Request Please

njboxers
Raven, thank you!  I've updated the embed code with the https, but the forum is still not showing.  I even cleared my cache and refreshed the page countless times, and still nothing.  I do not want to click "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources" because I am pretending to be a visitor to the site.

Does the fact that "forum" is not in the embed code, the one I set up the CNAME, have anything to do with this?  If so, what should the correct embed code be?
thank you,
Bree

Re: Https Request Please

Raven<Nabble>
njboxers wrote
Raven, thank you!  I've updated the embed code with the https, but the forum is still not showing.  I even cleared my cache and refreshed the page countless times, and still nothing.  I do not want to click "This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources" because I am pretending to be a visitor to the site.

Does the fact that "forum" is not in the embed code, the one I set up the CNAME, have anything to do with this?  If so, what should the correct embed code be?
thank you,
Bree
Sorry I think you're right.
Try this:
<a id="nabblelink" href="https://forum.njboxers.com/">Ask your BARF Question Here</a>
<script src="https://forum.njboxers.com/embed/f1"></script>

Re: Https Request Please

njboxers
Ugghhhhh, still not working.  I checked it in 4 different browsers as a "visitor"!  Nothing!

I'm open to any suggestions Raven!
thanks,
Bree

Re: Https Request Please

Raven<Nabble>
njboxers wrote
Ugghhhhh, still not working.  I checked it in 4 different browsers as a "visitor"!  Nothing!

I'm open to any suggestions Raven!
thanks,
Bree
I'm not sure what the problem was. But I enabled and re-enabled https on our end and it appears to be working now.

Re: Https Request Please

Raven<Nabble>
GregChapman:
Try changing your embedding code for gregafloat to:
<a id="nabblelink" href="https://blog.gregafloat.org.uk/">Greg Afloat</a>
<script src="https://blog.gregafloat.org.uk/embed/f1641154"></script>

https is enabled on aivuk.

Re: Https Request Please

njboxers
Yes, I just checked it and it's working perfect now!
https://www.njboxers.com/ask-barf-question.html

Thank you so much for all your help Raven!  This just made my day!
Bree

Re: Https Request Please

Raven<Nabble> wrote
Try changing your embedding code for gregafloat to:
<a id="nabblelink" href="https://blog.gregafloat.org.uk/">Greg Afloat</a>
<script src="https://blog.gregafloat.org.uk/embed/f1641154"></script>
That is now working! Many thanks!
https is enabled on aivuk.
Finally got that working too!

Be warned these two were "experiments"! You can expect a number of further requests for https in the coming week! :-)

(As a BTW to others: Working under https has thrown up a number of other issues I hadn't foreseen (e,g, My google fonts stopped working as the line in my code:
<link href="http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Felipa" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
also needed to have an "s" added to the http. Similarly with a page that that loaded into an iframe tag.)

Re: Https Request Please

Gary Lewis
WAIT!  Tell me more about the iframe?  I have hundreds of those.  Well, maybe 10's.

Do we want to do this offline?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Request Please

GregChapman
Gary Lewis wrote
WAIT!  Tell me more about the iframe?  I have hundreds of those.  Well, maybe 10's.

Do we want to do this offline?
No need! It's simple enough in concept. What I discovered, and perhaps I should have foreseen this, was because all the links within the site are relative to the existing page (i.e. the code says:
href="thisfolder/thatfile.html"
NOT absolute:
href="http://mydomain/thisfolder/thatfile.html"
then once you access a page using https then all the following pages will be processed using https and just as with Nabble when it runs embedded within an https page if the contents of an iframe like this:
<iframe src="http://www.gregchap....
Then nothing appears within the iframe until you add an s to the http

The homepage at http://www.gregafloat.org.uk includes a image that changes every day. I probably coded it some 20 years ago before I learnt better ways to do it. It includes an iframe to load a page now linked with a src="https// link. Now you can also load it as https://www.gregafloat.org.uk or without ssl and the image of the day still appears!

Re: Https Request Please

Gary Lewis
I'm lost.  As I think about it, the vast majority of my iframes, if not all, are from somewhere else, like my One Drive, so that won't change.

But, what about permalinks?  Are all of the old ones, like http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Dad-s-Truck-Build-tp7104p24989.html, going to fail since they don't have the "s"?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Request Please

GregChapman
I'll try to make time to put some documentation/explanation on GregHelp next week, but the short answer is that an internal forum link should become https as part of what Nabble does and work just fine while embedded in your own https enabled web site.

Re: Https Request Please

Gary Lewis
The documentation would be very helpful.  But, are you saying that old internal links will still work?

And, what about the hundreds of links I've shared elsewhere, like Facebook?  They'll 404?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Request Please

GregChapman
Gary Lewis wrote
are you saying that old internal links will still work?
All relative links will continue to work. The address of the page requested hasn't changed. The difference with https is that the browser requests that the page is sent to it in encrypted form.

As far as I am aware all Nabble's internal links are relative. It is not good practice to use absolute addresses for internal links as they force the browser to check a domain name server to obtain the IP address to use to hunt down where the file is located, which generates additional internet traffic and slows down display of the page requested.
And, what about the hundreds of links I've shared elsewhere, like Facebook?  They'll 404?
They will work because the address will be correct, but without the "https" the request for the page does not require that it is transmitted to the browser in encrypted form, so they won't show the "padlock" symbol that indicates that the page was delivered in encrypted form. However, in many cases the server receiving an "http" request will be set to serve all requests in encrypted form and the receiving browser will show it with an "https" in the address bar and a padlock symbol. You will probably find that Weebly does that.

Re: Https Request Please

Gary Lewis
As Speedy on the Alka-Seltzer adverts used to say, oh what a relief it is!  But you probably wouldn't have seen those.

Anyway, thanks!  Let me know how this goes.  I have to do it some day.  I think.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Request Please

GregChapman
Glad it's a relief!

My family didn't have a TV in the house until my grandmother moved in, in 1964.
At that time I spent term time at a boarding school where there was no TV - and when at home most of what I watched came from the BBC, where there were no adverts!
Life was so simple then!
I must try to stay on topic!

Re: Https Request Please

Gary Lewis
Sounds like a simple life.  Britain at its best?  Wanna go back?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Request Please

David19
Requesting HTTPS update please!

https://www.elementaryvalue.com/valueinvestingforum.html

Regards,

David

Re: Https Request Please

GregChapman
Hi David19

You'll need to provide the name of the subforum you have created to host your forum.
It's also good practice to provide the forum URL as well.

Re: Https Request Please

David19
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a complete imbecile when it comes to computers so please humour me whilst I struggle through this.

Thus far I have edited my DNS records and added a CNAME with
'https:elementaryvalue.com/valueinvestingforum/html' as the host.
I have then pointed this to n8.nabble.com

I have then posted this code in my HTML box on the forum page of my weebly site

Elementary Value
<script src="http://elementary-value.54354.n8.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>
Edit: ^ In this script I have written https: but for some reason it shows up as http: when I made my post. I assume this is because the change hasn't been made on your end. I don't know.

I assume that the forum url is;

https://elementary-value.54354.n8.nabble.com/

or this;

https://www.elementaryvalue.com/valueinvestingforum.html

I'm not sure what else I need to do here as I don't even know what half of this means.

What else do I need to do?

Thanks for your patience in this matter.

Regards,

David

1 ... 12131415161718 ... 27