Https Protocol Request

1 ... 891011121314 ... 27

Re: Https Protocol Request

h3rb1x
No issues with the emojis on my end.

Images are still going to "http" and braking the navigation unless, I tell members to "allow insecure scripts" and other browser workarounds.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 5:14 PM Harvey [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any idea what is going on with the emojis?

Anyone else having an issue with them?

Re: Https Protocol Request

Gary Lewis
I sure appreciate y'all being the guinea pigs on this.  I'll hide and watch as my forum is small enough that having these issues could drive the users away and the forum would fail.  So, since no one is complaining about the "Not Secure" from Google, I'll wait until the kinks get worked out.

Thanks again!
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Protocol Request

h3rb1x
LOL...Glad to help!

On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 10:28 AM Gary Lewis [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I sure appreciate y'all being the guinea pigs on this.  I'll hide and watch as my forum is small enough that having these issues could drive the users away and the forum would fail.  So, since no one is complaining about the "Not Secure" from Google, I'll wait until the kinks get worked out.

Thanks again!
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Protocol Request

Gary Lewis wrote
I sure appreciate y'all being the guinea pigs on this.  I'll hide and watch as my forum is small enough that having these issues could drive the users away and the forum would fail.  So, since no one is complaining about the "Not Secure" from Google, I'll wait until the kinks get worked out.

Thanks again!
It's not altruism for me.

We did 55,000 sessions in the last year from Google Search. It's over 20% of our traffic.

Google has been quite clear that sites that are not https will be de-emphasized in search results.

In addition, to push this change Google (through CHROME) is starting to warn users:

"You are visiting a site that is not secure. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

This is bound to further reduce traffic. Since October 1 — Google's "deadline" — users are emailing me asking about these warnings.

I need this resolved.

Re: Https Protocol Request

Gary Lewis
Harvey & Nabble - Please don't take my statement the wrong way.  I need to go to HTTPS as my site is being found less and less by Google searches, as shown in the Google search results below.  Which surely stems from Google de-emphasizing us because we aren't "secure".  And Google accounts for about 30% of my traffic.

As you can see, my traffic via Google had been climbing steadily.  But in the last month it is down about 33% - in spite of some pretty significant content upgrades.  And Google has been asked to crawl/index those upgrades.

So I need HTTPS.  I just have to balance keeping the natives happy while appeasing Google.

I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Https Protocol Request

sparkle
I thought if I made my blog HTTPS then you would be able to change my Nabble forum to HTTPS as well - but have heard nothing - or have I got it wrong?

Re: Https Protocol Request

Harvey
Is your form embedded.? If so it's a bit more complicated

Re: Https Protocol Request

h3rb1x

Re: Https Protocol Request

Harvey
I've been getting that a lot lately too.

Re: Https Protocol Request

h3rb1x
The navigation keeps breaking.

I have to make the embedding optional now to "fix" the issue .

The breadcrumb links (and any external links to a specific forum) overwrite the "Parent" and does not update the actual frame contents.

For example:

Instead of the embedded frame "quietly" updating its self to:

Instead it goes and updates the parent URL such as:

The adding of "#nabble-f68" to the main URL results in a blank page/frame were the forum is supposed to be.

A good place to see this in action is here,

where I have links to the forum (I will turn on embedding back on when the nabble team is ready to test).

Re: Https Protocol Request

Raven<Nabble>
Harvey:
Have you considered using the built-in OS emoji? They are integrated into Windows and Mac OS these days, not just phones. https://www.howtogeek.com/208890/how-to-use-emoji-on-your-smartphone-or-pc/

h3rb1x:
Subforum permalink issue has been logged for fixing.
Do you have an example of the images issue?

Sparkle:
As per my post earlier, if you are still trying to embed on Blogspot, I don't think there's anything we can do with regards to HTTPS.

Re: Https Protocol Request

Raven<Nabble> wrote
Harvey:
Have you considered using the built-in OS emoji? They are integrated into Windows and Mac OS these days, not just phones. https://www.howtogeek.com/208890/how-to-use-emoji-on-your-smartphone-or-pc/
This would likely take some education of hundreds of users.  They  have used forums for years and most expect to be able to view a selection to click.

Does this mean you are giving up?

Re: Https Protocol Request

Raven<Nabble>
It was a suggestion for the time being until things are fixed. But looking at it they come out quite small, so maybe not so good.
I've escalated the issue, so it should be dealt with eventually.

Re: Https Protocol Request

Harvey
Thank you.

Re: Https Protocol Request

h3rb1x
Hello Raven,

I can visit the forum via this link:

When, I click on a topic that contains an image for example:

The green https icon becomes an "information" icon, that shows a warning about insecure images (and insecure scripts sometimes).

When I look at the page's source I see that the uploaded image is referenced by http and not https.

However, when I visit the link of the image directly, it does go to the https version but the forum reference in the HTML is not updated properly.

Screen shots attached, let me know if anything else is needed.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:17 AM Raven<Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:

h3rb1x:
Subforum permalink issue has been logged for fixing.
Do you have an example of the images issue?

Re: Https Protocol Request

cinemapersians
Application for HTTPS Protocol Setup.

which is an embedded forum on https://www.macmaniacs.org/

Do we need to do anything else, but request this?

The (very much NON-tech) Administrator allowed Weebly to add the SSL certificate to the site (without my knowledge and/or permission), a few days ago, and now expects me to fix HER mess!  The forum is not secure, and currently in TWO pieces!

Our members click the link in the web site for the forum, scroll down past the large photo and instructions and click a SECOND link to actually GET to the forum with all of the subforums, but the photo and instructions are no longer there, as in it's now in two pieces, with the first piece being secure and the second piece not.

I found out about all of this VERY much after the fact, and I now have to figure out how to fix it!

Anyway, yes I'm aggravated, but any help offered would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Re: Https Protocol Request

Raven<Nabble>
cinemapersians:

You need to set a custom domain for your forum that matches the base domain of the site you're embedding on. For example, forum.macmaniacs.org. You'll need to set a CNAME record for that subdomain to point to n4.nabble.com. Information here: http://macmanialand.2305606.n4.nabble.com/help/DNSConfiguration.jtp
Once you've done that, I will be able to enable HTTPS on our end.

Re: Https Protocol Request

cinemapersians
I was thinking I’d have to do something like that.

This all started because the members were afraid (end users!) when they saw that our website (a fan site for a professional dancer) was not secure.  There are no purchases, etc. from this site, but they were still afraid so the other Administrator decided to do something, despite me telling her how not a big deal this was.

Thanks, Raven!  I’ll let you know when it’s done.

Pamela F. Cox
865-483-5047

On Oct 26, 2018, at 8:04 AM, Raven<Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:

cinemapersians:

You need to set a custom domain for your forum that matches the base domain of the site you're embedding on. For example, forum.macmaniacs.org. You'll need to set a CNAME record for that subdomain to point to n4.nabble.com. Information here: http://macmanialand.2305606.n4.nabble.com/help/DNSConfiguration.jtp
Once you've done that, I will be able to enable HTTPS on our end.

http://support.nabble.com/Https-Protocol-Request-tp7600969p7601703.html
To unsubscribe from Https Protocol Request, click here.
NAML

RE: Https Protocol Request

Harvey wrote
Emojis are not working. I'm guessing the emojis are not https?

Let me know if it can be easily fixed, if not I am going to revert.
Looks like emojis are working again?

RE: Https Protocol Request

Raven<Nabble>
Yes, the latest round of fixes is in.