Remove post by email

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
The feature which allows users to post by email probably will be removed. We want to know the opinion of our users about removing this feature. Is that important?

Re: Remove post by email

GregChapman
I am not aware that any of the users on the forums I manage use this feature.

I use it but only rarely, usually when I need to sort out a profile issue with new users before I upgrade them to "Member" or another custom group.

Providing a user's email address continues to show on their Profile screen so that it can be copied that would be acceptable to me.

Given the trend to using more secure email protocols and the report here:
http://support.nabble.com/Bug-in-nabble-s-mail-forms-tp7608953.html
I guess there is little option but to remove the feature.

Re: Remove post by email

sparkle
Have never used it myself - but there are lots of errors on my forum tonight - and also here on the Support pages.

Re: Remove post by email

stmpspaz
OH NO!!!!
My forum uses this feature almost EXCLUSIVELY!!!  This will be devastating to my site!

Is this a done deal?  There is no way I can find a replacement in just a week!

Re: Remove post by email

stmpspaz
can you please verify - will the posts still be sent via email if posted on the forum site? Or is *all* email being stopped

Re: Remove post by email

GregChapman
It looks like it happened between 13 and 14 June.

Subscription emails now show a "no-reply" address and the footer no longer says your reply will be added to the topic or includes the address to create a new topic in the forum.

There is also no longer an "Options" item to show what the forum's personalised Post by Email address is.

Re: Remove post by email

Peter58
Hi Israel, I just posted a question about this..(on the Error 500 post believing it was part of the consequences)  and yes "posting by email"  is critical in my forum http://loteria-de-visas-americanas-diversity-visa-green-card-lottery.1103547.n5.nabble.com/ , because it allows me to answer directly my readers instead of having to go to the web site to post an answer.. Depending on the time of the year and of the month, I may have to answer dozens of emails from my readers. I understand that sometimes when using this option people tend to answer and leaving the rest of the post in place which takes more space in the post and in the servers.. (duplicate post) , which I have fought with my readers for a while to keep to forum " clean" from duplicate posts, What about at least leaving the option of "post by mail" to the forum administrator? Thanks

Re: Remove post by email

Marc Martin
Yes, I use "reply by email" all the time.  Or at least until the other day, when it mysteriously stopped working.  :-(

Marc

Re: Remove post by email

Marc Martin
Also I notice that I'm still getting email notifications of new messages to the forum (which is good).  Although the string that is supposed to be added to the subject line (e.g. [My Mailing List Name]) is now gone.  So now even Facebook does a better job of supporting email notifications.  :-(

Marc

Re: Remove post by email

Marc Martin
> My forum uses this feature almost EXCLUSIVELY!!!  This will be devastating to my site!
> Is this a done deal?  There is no way I can find a replacement in just a week!

I'd be interested in knowing what people move to who still need this functionality.  I will have to ask my users how much of an issue this is for them.   Because if it's just me that uses this functionality, I won't worry about it.  :-)

Marc

Re: Remove post by email

Vladas
The most participants of mokas.on.lt are posting by email, this is useful feature of Nabble. Although I encourage them to post on the Web, for better clarity.

Re: Remove post by email

Richard Sargent
Israel <Nabble> wrote
The feature which allows users to post by email probably will be removed. We want to know the opinion of our users about removing this feature. Is that important?
Yes, it was. Most of the traffic on forum.world.st is from emailed replies.

[forum.world.st hosts forums for a number of Smalltalk dialects and user groups.]