Re: Downsizing Nabble

CompassForum
I would like my website preserved. It has been active for 15 year or more and we can't afford to loose all the technical data there. The Compass Forum - http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/

We have no access to migrate the site or archive it. Are archives available? Please advise.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
We're going to move your site. It may take a few days.
We're going to reply this thread when it is finished.
p3

Re: Downsizing Nabble

fffilimnov

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
It's working properly.
Closing.

Re: Downsizing Nabble

CompassForum
I think I am ready to migrate over to our domain on NameCheap. I have set the DNS to Cname and move.nabble.com - if this is correct can you now move our site over to CompassForums.org and test?
At what point is the DNS switched again to point to s1.nabble.com??  or is it?

Re: Downsizing Nabble

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
Point to s1.nabble.com

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass

CompassForum
Hello and thank you from all of us.
On around July 23 you moved our site from http://compass-metal-detector-forum.548136.n2.nabble.com/ over to  the single server at:  http://compass-metal-detector-forum.80.s1.nabble.com/ .
  Is the Nabble app, along with my forum, a "stand alone" app that can be removed from Nabble completely and moved entirely to my own (shared) domain at Namecheap??
 Thanks friendo.

Administrator
Would you like to use a custom domain instead of the default URL?

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass

CompassForum
This is new to me. Please help me understand and learn my situation by explaining ""Is the Nabble app, along with my forum, a "stand alone" app??    that can be removed from Nabble completely and moved entirely to my own domain hosted at Namecheap?? Or will it still be reliant on the S1 server at nabble?
  I would like our Compass Forum to be based entirely at my domain www.compassforums.org (hosted at namecheap) and not reside at s1.nabble.com
  Is this possible?
Our website is functioning but I am confused on where exactly it is living? Namecheap or Nabble?
 I want to use the Cpanel I have at namecheap to run the forum.
  Thanks for your patience and help.

My default URL is WWW.compassforums.org and I would like to reside there.

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
You have to point your CNAME to s1.nabble.com.
You can use your custom domain and your site will be hosted
on our single server.

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass

Rick

I think that is a question you will have to ask your custom domain provider.

Which I did with mine, and the answer was no.
I was told there are so many different sites, and apps, they just redirect.

Now, there does seem to be a few that offer enough in house features to meet your goals.
But, they are kind of expensive.  And even those, I've seen add on pages or sections, classified sections, auction sections, that guys add on.

Try vBullitan.

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass Moved OR re-directed??

CompassForum
This post was updated on .
Thanks Rick.  I can't seam to get a straight answer here about whether the Nabble Forum APP and posts can be HOSTED  on a different hosting site such as Godaddy or Namecheap without redirecting/forwarding?  I was under the impression that my forum was going to be moved to my Domain host and not simply redirected there.
  AND if not possible,,,, is the forum app embedded at Nabble or at my own domain host Namecheap now that it has been moved from server S2 to S1?
  Why can't my forum just be move to www.mydomain.org instead of to S1.nabble.com????  This requires a redirect which I prefer not to have.
  It appears from the Log-in page for my forum that I am signing into Nabble and then re-directed to my Domain https:www.Compassforums.org. after successful signin.  IS This what is happening?
  Rick I hope you can respond and help me understand what is really happening in the background when the forums are moved. I will bet there are others having trouble understanding also. Most are not programmers.
  I know the Guys at nabble are busy as a one armed paperhanger so you are helping them as well taking the time to explain, they must be too swamped.  God Bless Nabble and you.
 Thanks a million,  Philip

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass Moved OR re-directed??

Rick

Well, thing is, Nabble looks to me to use their own computer language, which I believe was designed/created by them.

Your custom site provider probally uses another computer language.
The 2, from what I gather, just don't understand each outer.
Kinda like one in one cubicle speaks French , one in the next cubicle only speaks Chinese.
they both speak English, but only to you.
So, instead of trying to get each to understand each other, they just wait to talk to you when you direct questions to each one, and only one of them.

My site, I have a home page that is created with tools iPage provides. I gotta learn how to do that.
My forums, I use Nabble. I had to learn how they work.
I'm thinking about adding another section, or page, and will have to learn how work that.  Be it Wordpress, phpbb, whatever language that app, or page is using.
And then lump them together, like pages in a book , all waiting to to get the signal from my home page, which
is the custom provider page, in my case, iPage, to start talking to me.

Now, if you go a place like vBullatin, they, I do believe, have their own language, but also more than just a forums page layout. You can have 3 or 4 pages, different things, all speaking vBullitan language.
It's all under one roof.

That's my take on the whole thing, anyway..

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass Moved OR re-directed??

oldironnow
Rick/MG,

oldironnow here.

Is cyclevisor down?

My browsers can't find it.

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass Moved OR re-directed??

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
oldironnow wrote
Is cyclevisor down?
It's working properly on my side.

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass Moved OR re-directed??

Rick

I had this issue earlier this morning.
Trying to get on nothing came up.
Searching for both the iPage home address and the Nabble address.
I refreshed, might have checked the news, came back and both worked.

Just checked both are working at this time for me.  I'm on an iPad.

Keep us in the loop old iron.  Thx guy.
And thx Israel for jumping in. Greatly appreciated.

And thx Israel for jumping in. Greatly appreciated.
Alright - I can now reach Cyclevisor-com via Chrome. Safari can't see the site from my Mac Desktop.

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass Moved OR re-directed??

Gary Lewis
I've not read all of this thread, but I believe I had similar problems on my test forum prior to the move, and after the move I had problems with both the test and production forums.  Chrome nor Safari could get in, but Firefox.  I did some complaining and someone at Nabble turned https on for the production forum, as discussed here: https://support.nabble.com/Cannot-Log-Into-My-Redirected-Forum-With-Chrome-or-Safari-or-tp7611450p7611479.html.

That immediately caused all sorts of problems, but ultimately seems to have bypassed the problem on the production forum.  But not on the test forum.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Downsizing Nabble, Compass Moved OR re-directed??

CompassForum
OK. I'm sure you are right Rick, Nabble created their own language. Maybe it is not compatable with Namecheap. Namecheap uses LINUX
Well I thank you for answering my question. apparently others do not want to help folks just learning ,,to learn more about web function and design. . God bless you.
  Your answer is to the point and simple. Not sure why Nabble won't take the time to just tell me that. But that's ok as I really love the Nabble App and appreciate what they do, and still doing to help. God bless em too.
  I'll take your advice and use my new redirected forum at my own domain and add sub-domains at my domain to expand or enhance the site. The only thing that was a negative for us before was that Nabble was not secure. But Now we are! So we are all good.
 Thanks again Rick, Israel, and Nabble.
  Philip

12