Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
This feature will be removed and Mailing Lists will be turned into regular forums.
Post here if you have any questions or concerns.

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

stmpspaz
Can you explain what this means?

I just read the post about not being to send by email - my users use this almost EXCLUSIVELY and it is the main reason we selected Nabble quite a few years ago

There is no way I can find a replacement in a week - this could quite seriously put my subscription site out of business completely

Patti Scanlan

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

stmpspaz
In addition - the changes you have already made - has made it impossible for us to modify our members, and because there is no way to remove "registered" people - people who have not been on our site for years are now getting notifications.

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Richard Sargent
We are seeing a large subset of messages apparently across all forum.world.st forums that claim to be deleted by their sender. I have no data on when this started happening, other than one member of the GLASS mailing list noticed it today.

Is this problem related to these changes that you've described?

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
No, it's not related to the latest changes.

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Richard Sargent
Thanks. Have you seen anything like this (apparent mass deletions) before? Any ideas what's actually happening?

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Richard Sargent
Hmm. I took a backup and examined what was there and it looks like the contents are still present in the node_msg table. That's good news, as it means we haven't lost the data.

A specific example for the first record I found in the forum.world.st backup was from the conversation  http://forum.world.st/Issue-5595-in-pharo-EllipseMorph-gt-gt-cornerStyle-is-missing-statement-terminator-td4553131.html. Its time stamp displays as  Apr 14, 2012; 2:47am. Its node_id is 4556899.

Perhaps this will allow someone to determine why it won't display the contents.

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Uffe Jakobsen
Israel <Nabble> wrote
This feature will be removed and Mailing Lists will be turned into regular forums.
Post here if you have any questions or concerns.
It is totally unclear to me what the consequence of this change is - could you please be more specific ?

Would that mean that nabble cannot be used as a frontend for mailing lists ?

I would appeciate if you could explain some more than just the two short lines that you posted...

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

stmpspaz
Please Help!!!!

Since you made this change - people who were on our group and left - some many years ago - are now receiving notices/emails when something is posted. It doesn't matter if they were registered or not.  I tried Banning them all - but they are still getting emails.

Because the change has made it so I can't see their forum subscription status - I can't unsubscribe them - and they can't unsubscribe because our site is password protected.

PLEASE help me to stop the emails to these people who are no longer members. I still want the people who are - to get mail.  Our system had an update in the NAML to only send to those in the "member" group - but because of all the errors from the change- that isn't working.

Yeah right - what is the point of posting here ?   > /dev/null

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Richard Sargent
Israel <Nabble> wrote
No, it's not related to the latest changes.
Israel, please reconsider. The following change in UserImpl.java looks like it has the possibility to explain why unregistered users are reported with deleted content.

  public boolean isDeactivated() {
- return !isRegistered() && isNoArchive();
+ return !isRegistered();
  }

Do *any* unregistered users have no_archive==true? If so, what fraction?

Richard, where can you get to see that code?

Re: Mailing Lists will be updated to regular forums next week

Uffe Jakobsen
MichaelAtOz wrote
Richard, where can you get to see that code?
https://hg.luan.software/nabble