Just some general queries

ajac63
My impression for the Nabble forum being free, is that it's ad-supported in some way?  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Anyway, if it is ad-supported, is there a way of removing this for a fee of some sort.
Same question for Nabble branding?  Thanks.

Re: Just some general queries

ajac63
Sorry to bump thread. but a reply would be helpful.

Re: Just some general queries

Over the years Nabble has changed several times. Originally it was a service that operated commercially.

Once it was funded through a premium support service at a cost. It has also been funded by ads. For a period you could pay to have these removed.

A couple of years back Franklin, the owner, closed down all the servers bar one and continues to operate the remaining server at entirely his own expense, as he wants to maintain a couple of forums of his own.

Obviously, his interest in maintaining the server could stop at any time hence my personal recommendation that users consider moving to another service.

It used to be effectively impossible to transfer a forum's data to another platform, but over the last few months a way of generating XML files containing a forum's data has been developed - but it will need considerable technical expertise to achieve a transfer.

I hope that helps you better understand the position..

Re: Just some general queries

ajac63
Right, so really I should think in terms of looking for alternatives, that would be a shame.  I first used Nabble some years ago via Weebly, but then they stopped supporting it and so I thought it was no more.  Then I rediscovered it a few weeks ago and well....

Re: Just some general queries

Gary Lewis
Yes, you should be looking for a new home.

But Nabble works fine on Weebly.  My forum is embedded on my Weebly site and works well.

However, a side discussion with Franklin confirmed that we really do need to find a new home.  He's only keeping Nabble up on the one server for his own benefit and will turn it off at some time.

So we are going to move to Invision.  We've done a bunch of testing and like Invision best of all of the ones we tested.  They are going to move all of our 7.2 GB of data over from Nabble for $1800 and we'll run on their server on the cloud for about $55/mo.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Yes, I'm sure it works fine on Weebly.  I meant there was a period when Nabble wasn't available in Weebly's list of aps, circa 2015/16 if I remember correctly - anyway, thanks for being honest in saying I should be looking for a new home.
Wasn't expecting it though, I only signed-up to Nabble just over two weeks ago and was about to get the hosting done for the web page the forum's embedded in and go live.

Re: Just some general queries

Gary Lewis
I'm very appreciative of Franklin providing Nabble for our forum for the last 7 years.  But as of a month or so ago he said he doesn't plan to replace Nabble and is only keeping the server up for his own use, so recommended that we find a new home.

Given that, I wouldn't start a new forum on Nabble now.  In our case we now have 7 years worth of answers to questions that we don't want to lose, so we will pay the $1800 to move it to Invision.  But if you start your forum somewhere that has a long term life expectancy you wouldn't have to pay to move.

ajac63
Sorry for late reply...  About Invision, does this also allow you to embed forums like Nabble?

Re: Just some general queries

Gary Lewis
If you know German, jein.

Invision will tell you it does, but my IT guru has it working nicely on our Weebly site, as you can see here.  I don't know how he did it but suspect he wouldn't mind sharing.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Just some general queries

ajac63
Nein, well not much anyway...  Very nice looking test forum by the way.  For my purposes though, I wouldn't be using Weebly this time, but a RocketCake generated html doc that would be hosted elsewhere that provides cPanel.
Right now however, I'm having issues with the code-box not always resizing so as to accommodate forum content.  This is what's in the code-box so far.

<script type="text/javascript"> nabble_width = "1470px"; nabble_scroll_top = true; nabble_ignore_title = true; </script>talk-IT forum
<script src="http://talk-it.549.s1.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>

Re: Just some general queries

Gary Lewis
Obviously you know enough.

Invision say they will bring the whole Nabble forum, including the structure.  So we will need to delete what's there now as some of the names are the same.

Anyway, I know very little about Nabble or HTML code so will leave that to the others.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: Just some general queries

ajac63
Ok, well thanks anyway.