Forum Wish List

Harvey
I thought it would be good to start a wish list for each type of application. This stuff in my mind is not urgent, but something to think about.

For the forum it would be helpful to be able to click to the last page of a long thread in one click.  It's only two clicks now but it would be a convenience.

Here's an example of the way another forum handles it...

Post by Email

I'd like the option of disabling the post by email feature.

It worries me. I've lost two forum members, who, even though they were warned, didn't understand the difference between private mail and post by mail.

Re: Forum Wish List

Harvey44 wrote
For the forum it would be helpful to be able to click to the last page of a long thread in one click.  It's only two clicks now but it would be a convenience.
You can go to the last page by clicking on the link in the "Last Post" column. Have you tried that?

Re: Forum Wish List

Harvey44 wrote
I'd like the option of disabling the post by email feature.
Is is ok to just hide the "Post by email" link in the Options dropdown? Or do you also want to prevent replies by email, which would be publicly archived on the Nabble app?

Re: Forum Wish List

Harvey
I want to prevent post by email.

I want to eliminate the stress that is caused when people accidentally post personal information because they think they are responding to private email.

I've been in the situation twice where I was fairly sure that the person had no idea they were posting. I made the call to delete the post to save them embarrassment.  It make me worry about being out of touch and it keeps me a little on edge.

I'm a member of 6 forums, plus my own Nabble forum. Because no other forum work this way, people just aren't expecting it. I want our forum to be a simple vehicle that enables communication, not a long list of parameters to be remembered.

Re: Forum Wish List

Hugo <Nabble>
We are discussing how to implement this. I will keep you updated.

Re: Forum Wish List

Harvey
I just realized that if you click on the TIME next to the last poster, you go right to the last post.  That is very cool.  I wonder if there is a simple way to make that more obvious?

Re: Classic vs Threaded

I'd like to be able to set Classic as the default view method, or give the admin the option to set one view type as the only type.  Classic is the most common view (all other forums use it).

I've had multiple posters say they were confused and I realized they were using "Threaded."

If you REALLY GET IT Threaded is probably the most logical, but most posters don't really get it.

Re: Classic vs Threaded

Hugo <Nabble>
The Classic view is the default one. But if you change the view, Nabble remembers this option the next time you open a topic. We save this information in a cookie called "tview". You can try deleting this cookie and you will see the Classic view again, until you change it. Do you think we should change this for your case?

Re: Forum Wish List

I am not sure how to make that link more obvious and still keep the UI simple. I will think more about this, but please let me know if you have ideas.

Re: Forum Wish List

Harvey
I agree it's not an easy problem. Your current solution is really ideal just not totally obvious.

I also just noticed it even says "Last Post" above the column:

Maybe leave this one alone for now. I will think about it.

Re: Forum Wish List

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
I'd like the option of disabling the post by email feature.
Is is ok to just hide the "Post by email" link in the Options dropdown? Or do you also want to prevent replies by email, which would be publicly archived on the Nabble app?
Had another issue this morning. Someone replying, using a persons real name who wished to be anonymous. I deleted as quickly as I could, but you have the issue with people who were subscribed to the thread.

Delete a single reply

It would be great to have the option to delete a single post but not all the replies.

I realize this is not as simple as it sounds, and the replies have to be reassigned.

Often you get a double post, and the author deletes the second post, but it's not a full deletion. If you don't get it right away then subsequent replies are attached to the CONTENTS DELETED post.

As an admin it would be great to be able to fully delete that post and move all replies to another post in a single move.

Re: Forum Wish List

I'd like to be able to determine who can post a hot link in their signature.  Maybe - Hotlinks for only those with XX number of posts - number to be determined by the admin.

Re: Delete a single reply

Harvey44 wrote
It would be great to have the option to delete a single post but not all the replies.
This is an odd request, but let's discuss it.
Harvey44 wrote
Often you get a double post,...
Does this really happen often? This shouldn't be the case and I would like to understand why it happens.
Harvey44 wrote
...and the author deletes the second post, but it's not a full deletion. If you don't get it right away then subsequent replies are attached to the CONTENTS DELETED post.
If this doesn't happen often, then two steps shouldn't be a problem (e.g., move the replies and then delete the post). This is why I would like to understand how people create duplicate messages. Maybe because they press the save button more than once before the request is complete?

Re: Forum Wish List

What is a hot link for you? Any simple link or a special type of link?

Re: Forum Wish List

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
What is a hot link for you? Any simple link or a special type of link?
I just meant a link.  Some forums do not allow them at all, to discourage people who have no desire to contribute to the forum and just want inbound links. Some have rules saying where they don't allow a link until you've made X numbers of posts.  One forum I saw required a $35 "contribution" to allow posters to have links in their singatures.

Re: Forum Wish List

Hugo <Nabble>
Links added to signatures and posts have the rel="nofollow" attribute set. So those links don't affect the page rank of those Nabble pages and users don't get any SEO benefit from them. So do you think you still want to add that restriction to your forum?

Re: Forum Wish List

Just had another incident with this. Would really like the option to disable post by email.  It's stressful.

This time it was me. Ouch.  Someone went back into old email - months old - and responded to a forum alert they thought was an email. It looked to me like an email from him to me - I responded - both of our emails were posted.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I do know that of the 66 members we have, I am the most knowledgeable about Nabble.  If I can't keep it straight...help.

Re: Forum Wish List

Hugo <Nabble>
I'm raising the priority of this task. It should be available soon.
12