CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

varvello
Hi guys,

A lot of messages are disappeared from the forum, see for example here: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
It seems a bug. So many messages  are marked as "CONTENTS DELETED"

Can you make a check, please?
TIA
Davide

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

varvello
is anybody working on this bug?
See:

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Richard Sargent
Nabble Support,
I took a backup of forum.world.st and examined what was there. It looks like the contents are still present in the node_msg table. That's good news, as it means we haven't lost the data.

A specific example for the first record I found in the forum.world.st backup was from the conversation  http://forum.world.st/Issue-5595-in-pharo-EllipseMorph-gt-gt-cornerStyle-is-missing-statement-terminator-td4553131.html. Its time stamp displays as  Apr 14, 2012; 2:47am. Its node_id is 4556899.

Perhaps this will allow someone to determine why it won't display the contents.

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

varvello
Hi Richard

Richard Sargent wrote
Nabble Support,
I took a backup of forum.world.st and examined what was there. It looks like the contents are still present in the node_msg table. That's good news, as it means we haven't lost the data.
Good

Richard Sargent wrote
A specific example for the first record I found in the forum.world.st backup was from the conversation  http://forum.world.st/Issue-5595-in-pharo-EllipseMorph-gt-gt-cornerStyle-is-missing-statement-terminator-td4553131.html. Its time stamp displays as  Apr 14, 2012; 2:47am. Its node_id is 4556899.
I don't quite understand, if I go to http://forum.world.st/Issue-5595-in-pharo-EllipseMorph-gt-gt-cornerStyle-is-missing-statement-terminator-td4553131.html I can't find any content

Richard Sargent wrote
Perhaps this will allow someone to determine why it won't display the contents.
Sorry, someone who? If you are the support you can restore the content from the backup, right? I guess a virus/malware happened or some sort of attack. Look at other messages in http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html most contents are vanished.
Cheers
 Davide

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Israel <Nabble>
Can you please create a new forum and then upload your backup file? I hope that it will help you.

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Richard Sargent
Israel <Nabble> wrote
Can you please create a new forum and then upload your backup file? I hope that it will help you.
I can appreciate the experiment, but I have to wonder about how fruitful it can be. If it's a faithful backup, it should replicate whatever the problem is. There must be something awry in the persistent state that leads the software to think that so much content has been deleted.

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Richard Sargent
varvello wrote
[...]

"If you are the support..."
I am not Nabble Support. I am an admin, particularly for the GemStone fora (but in fact for all of forum.world.st).

I was reporting this to Nabble Support with a specific case they could examine where the system shows the content as deleted but the db shows the content is still there. I am hoping they can determine what has gone awry and perhaps formulate a plan for correcting it.

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

jsanz
Hi,

I'm the admin of the OSGeo organization forum and we are experiencing the same issue, all messages across forums look deleted, and in general the full forum archive is stalled and broken.

Is this a more broad issue? Is there anything we can do?

Thanks
Jorge

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

varvello
Richard Sargent wrote
"If you are the support..."
I am not Nabble Support. I am an admin, particularly for the GemStone fora (but in fact for all of forum.world.st).

I was reporting this to Nabble Support with a specific case they could examine where the system shows the content as deleted but the db shows the content is still there. I am hoping they can determine what has gone awry and perhaps formulate a plan for correcting it.
Ooops, sorry Richard, I thought you were a man of the support.

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

varvello
Hi
I hope someone of the support fix this problem because it seems serious
Davide

jsanz wrote
Hi,

I'm the admin of the OSGeo organization forum and we are experiencing the same issue, all messages across forums look deleted, and in general the full forum archive is stalled and broken.

Is this a more broad issue? Is there anything we can do?

Thanks
Jorge

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Uffe Jakobsen
I'm seeing the same problem on the nabble forums/lists that I'm admin for...

http://sigrok-devel.175694.n8.nabble.com/
http://cbm-hackers.2304266.n4.nabble.com/

It seems like a problem to all nabble forums/lists... quite unfortunate

/Uffe

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Jean Abou Samra
We're also hit by this at GNU LilyPond. Examples:

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/User-f3.html
http://lilypond-french-users.1298960.n2.nabble.com/Pb-de-pauses-multimesure-Frescobaldi-td7591433.html

In the case of the latter list, another archive is available at

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user-fr/

From closer inspection, it seems like
- Nabble is no longer receiving posts sent by email,
- Posts sent through Nabble are no longer delivered to the list,
- When someone replies by email to a question posted via Nabble, the post is marked as deleted.

Could Nabble staff look into this problem? It seems quite serious. We can provide archives or whatever access is required for debugging.

Thank you,
Jean Abou Samra

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Richard Sargent
From a scan of the code, it looks as if htis message is displayed for one of two conditions.
1) The user actually deleted the message.
2) The user is considered deactivated.

I have looked at a small number of messages and in every case the user who submitted the message was unregistered. In the case of mailing lists, the list itself is an unregistered user, so that's why all emailed submissions appear to be deleted.

An example of this is Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 in the conversation http://forum.world.st/Zn-and-AWS-retrieving-object-versions-td5130464.html. Nabble identifies him as an "Unregistered User". In this case, Sven only used this account from May 18th through June 18th.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nabble Support, is there some way you can change the registration status of unregistered users so that we can one again see their contributions?

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Jean Abou Samra

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Uffe Jakobsen
Jean Abou Samra wrote
Yes I believe so - it is just amazing that they haven't managed to explain the consequences in a more understandable manner than just a one-liner message...

Also why haven't they sent notifications to the admins of every site - they know all the emails of every site admin

Do they expect us to poll the support site for such info every day... it is is a school book example of bad communication .-/

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Richard Sargent

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Uffe Jakobsen
As far as i can see (conclude) from the mailinglist/forums that I have here at nabble:

Every user that have registered within nabble still have their posts visible.

Users that are only subscribed to the mailinglists (external to nabble) -  and have never used nabble as a frontend for the mailinglist archives will have all their messages shown as deleted.

For my mailinglists only a about 20% of the mailinglist subscribers use nabble as a frontend - and hence the archives at nabble are useless as most of the posts now appears as deleted content

So my conclusion is that Israel is not right in his statement

And since we have not heard a word from Israel or other supporters - I consider nabble as a dead project.
I will shut down my lists here at nabble in about week if nothing changes - if they wanted to get rid of us - they have succeeded in that task...

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Richard Sargent
Uffe Jakobsen wrote
As far as i can see (conclude) from the mailinglist/forums that I have here at nabble:

Every user that have registered within nabble still have their posts visible.

Users that are only subscribed to the mailinglists (external to nabble) -  and have never used nabble as a frontend for the mailinglist archives will have all their messages shown as deleted.

For my mailinglists only a about 20% of the mailinglist subscribers use nabble as a frontend - and hence the archives at nabble are useless as most of the posts now appears as deleted content

So my conclusion is that Israel is not right in his statement
I think you are correct. I did a code inspection on the changes from 10 days ago, and I think the #isDeactivated test was broken by the changes. I have posted that change and asked Israel to reconsider his answer.

We'll see.

And since we have not heard a word from Israel or other supporters - I consider nabble as a dead project.
I will shut down my lists here at nabble in about week if nothing changes - if they wanted to get rid of us - they have succeeded in that task...

Re: CONTENTS DELETED ?!?

Israel <Nabble>
Administrator
This bug has been fixed.