The Future of Nabble

1234

The Future of Nabble

Franklin
Administrator
Nabble is not profitable.  Google AdSense is paying less and isn't covering costs.  I have asked Israel to look into ways of getting more money.  If he can't find any, then I will shut down most of Nabble.  But since I personally use Nabble, I will keep one Nabble server.  In this case, anyone who wants to stay on Nabble can have their forum migrated to this server.

Nabble has no future.  I had planned to write new forum software to replace Nabble, but I don't have the time.  If anyone is interested in working with me on new forum software, I am open to this.  I will describe what I have in mind.

Nabble's scripting system is NAML.  I wrote this and I consider it a failure.  It is too complicated.  I realized that a simple high-level scripting language is better, so I wrote one called Luan.  I have been using this language for years to develop various business websites.  This language is a success in the sense it that is very easy to program websites with it.  (It isn't popular, only I use it.  But that is no reflection on quality since humanity generally has extremely poor taste.)

Another weakness of Nabble is it is one program running for everyone.  This means that when I do an update, everyone is updated and this can break people's customizations.  But with a forum written in Luan, each forum could have its own source and control its own updates.

And finally, the future of the web is social.  Nabble isn't social.  Social forums make it much easier for people to find your forum.  So a new forum software should be social.  The obvious social forum today is Reddit.  Besides being a typical intolerant politically correct Silicon Valley tyranny, Reddit is generally a poorly designed forum.  It isn't nearly as customizable as traditional forum software.  So the best of both worlds would be a fully customizable forum that is also social like Reddit.

If anyone is interested in working with me on this, please let me know.  But I won't hold my breath and most likely no one will respond.  In this case, those looking for a forum with a future should look elsewhere.

Re: The Future of Nabble

Gary Lewis
Thanks for the update.  I'm very sorry to see this, but it is important that we know so we can lay plans.

My forum, http://www.garysgaragemahal.com, is growing significantly.  As of now we have ~750 members and the backup is up to 3.0 GB.  I don't know if that is large, but we are having several more members each day and the weekly backup is steadily growing.

Given that, will the one server be able to handle everyone well into the future?  Will response time be reasonable?

As for money, I'm willing to provide some financial support.
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: The Future of Nabble

Rick
Well Franklin, that's a bummer.

I've got u guys as my forum page at Cyclevisor.com.

I don't know code, heck, it's a struggle just keeping my basic thing going, knowledge wise.
I'm a air conditioning contractor that likes motorcycles.

But, if there is anything I could do to help, contact me.

Sincerely, Rick @ Cyclevisor.com.

Ps.  If u have room, ya, put me on that server please.

Hello, could you put my forum on your server? It would be sad to suddenly say goodbye, because people have already got used to it. Please :)
Forum Link: http://nowa-atlantyda.2367957.n4.nabble.com/

Re: The Future of Nabble

Lotte
Oh boy.. This is not news I was hoping for..  Gawd.. I started in April and now have 503 members and a 2.5Gb forum..

If you have room, please put my forum also on your server. Am prepared to pay a yearly fee for it.
Please let me know what you guys decide..

Warm regards,
Lotte

" Come on in. The water's fine.. "

Re: The Future of Nabble

mark
I'm sorry to see Nabble go, and that the future software has currently been discontinued. Thank you for offering such a great service. It's truly one of a kind.

I would like to have my site migrated to the new server. Here's its domain: www.growspice.com

Will I be able to use my domain name, still?

Thanks for offering to let us keep our sites on another server.

Re: The Future of Nabble

pedroabgNabble
Hello. I've worked on Nabble between 2012 and 2014, I could write a book about this wonderful experience. I really loved this company and its services. Therefore, I hope you can find a way to keep it running or have success building other projects. To whom it may concern, I'm still a developer, text me if you need any help.

ps: my last post was on 2014 lol

Re: The Future of Nabble

GregChapman
Hi Pedro,

Actually, your last post appears to have been Feb 04, 2015!

Great to see your name pop up. I have emailed you via your new login.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!
GregHelp - Building a set of answers to Nabble FAQs.

Re: The Future of Nabble

Lotte
Franklin wrote
/...../ since I personally use Nabble, I will keep one Nabble server.  In this case, anyone who wants to stay on Nabble can have their forum migrated to this server. /..../
My dear Franklin, I already have lost sleep over this.. I really hope you will be willing to take my forum on your remaining server.. If you do not want that -for whatever reason-  please tell me how much time I have left.. I build my forum as a successor to a forum that has quit recently, and my users still feel the pain of losing that particular forum..

Please let me know, because at the moment I do not know what to tell them (the users of https://www.lsfmainpage.com )

With Warm Regards,
Lotte...

" Come on in. The water's fine.. "

Re: The Future of Nabble

stmpspaz
Oh no!!  Nabble is the only forum I have found that allows you to use email as well as online. My members really like this format!!

I am one who always has issues with losing my customization's after an update - but I have finally figured out/learned how to go back in and fix.

Please let me know what is necessary to help keep things running. I would help with financial payment - but am also interested in being moved to the new server to keep running as necessary.

Thank you!
Patti Scanlan

Re: The Future of Nabble

our combined `effect
Will, I'm sorry to hear you want Isreal to find money, meaning you may want to keep it going, but if he can't find it then it would be nice for you to do what you prefer!

Same all your helpers!

I not being a techy feel like you need to do first for you all! Where I've explored a lot by using Nabble and have felt quite consumptive storing stuff!  Not being a tech, how could I help you?

Presently am asking SOCLA in an International meet, if they have a message board, if not I have been planning one and thought to clean up my site on Nabble and do it.

Would that be something you would want on your new server? How would you like to be paid to do what you want?

Do you have an idea of when Nabble would stop? Can we save our work before you do, if you decide not to continue with me? And please give me notice if you can, or tell me when to check back?

I also wanted to ask if any of Nabble workers or anyone involved w/Nabble using the forums are interested in this meet, I respect SOCLA and want to scale earth with them along w/a few other plans to rid toxic and restore earth-space.

Please see and share, Thank you all and let me know! kara j lincoln

Dear all:

We are pleased to inform the realization of the International Seminar "Agrobiodiversity: geographies, subjects and governments of the common goods in the reconstitution of food systems for Living Well" from June 22 to 24, 2020 http://soclaglobal.com/posts/7 . The seminar is an event convened by the JAINA Study Community, within the framework of the activities of the project "Assessment of agrobiodiversity to reconstitute healthy food", supported by GIZ in Bolivia. This initiative has been coordinated and developed through collaborative work involving different institutions, organizations and academics from different countries of the American continent, through an organizing committee made up of JAINA, SOCLA, CLACSO and the Rosa Luxemburg Foundation.

The objective of the event is to deepen the analysis and knowledge, from different approaches and research experiences, for the comprehensive assessment of agrobiodiversity from a biocultural, agroecological, political and geographic approach, in such a way that it places food and agrobiodiversity as goods common in the construction of alternatives for restitution and reconstitution of Living Well. From this perspective, the seminar program https://bit.ly/2Bmfgn4 is very rich in diversity of speakers and approaches. We invite you to be part of it by registering for free from http://bit.ly/2ARUD2e . In particular, we invite you to join the tables in which SOCLA members participate:

INAUGURAL TABLE - Monday, June 22, 2020 (from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Bolivia time), with the participation of Santiago Sarandón (President of SOCLA, Argentina) and Georgina Catacora-Vargas (Vice President of SOCLA, Bolivia).

TABLE 1 - Tuesday, June 23, 2020 (from 09:00 to 12:00 Bolivia time), in which Gloria Zuluaga (National University of Colombia / SOCLA, Colombia) and Helda Morales (The College of the Southern Border / SOCLA) will present . Mexico).

TABLE 2 - Tuesday, June 23, 2020 (from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Boliva time), with a presentation by Georgina Catacora-Vargas (Vice-President of SOCL, Bolivia)).

TABLE 3 - Wednesday, June 24, 2020 (from 09:00 to 12:00 Bolivia time) that includes Peter Gerritsen (University of Guadalajara / SOCLA, Mexico).

We encourage your participation and appreciate the dissemination of the event.

Sincerely,

SOCLA Board of Directors

-
SOCLA Secretariat
https://soclaglobal.com/

Twitter @soclaglobal

FB https://www.facebook.com/soclaglobal/

Linkedln https://www.linkedin.com/in/socla/

     patches` +  pockets` everywhere are linking,  good folks are building this network by coming together eye to eye sharing their bi`joy experiences of what works.

       come talk..

                        `i come to talk story

Re: The Future of Nabble

nnako
pedroabgNabble wrote
Hello. I've worked on Nabble between 2012 and 2014, I could write a book about this wonderful experience... To whom it may concern, I'm still a developer, text me if you need any help...
Hi Pedro,

yes, I remember asking a couple of questions and receiving answers from you, long time ago...

As you seem to have the most currently available experience concerning the internal structures and sequences of the Nabble system, maybe you could start "writing a (kind of) book" for the other developers out there willing to get into the system. We need specific information on:

- how to build a working execution environment on our own servers (system requirements: linux, packages, ...)
- how to install and setup Nabble on our own servers (securely working installation process)
- how to find our way through the source code (file and component overview)

I posted these things in more detail some months ago.

Would you like to get involved in this? I think we all would like to support you with whatever we can. But currently, without help from (former) core members we will not manage to find a good starting point for further involvement. It would be highly appreciated.

Re: The Future of Nabble

Harvey
How much time do we have to find an alternative?
HTTPS Please!

Re: The Future of Nabble

GregChapman
Hi Franklin,

Looking at just your following points...
Franklin wrote
Nabble has no future.  I had planned to write new forum software to replace Nabble, but I don't have the time.  If anyone is interested in working with me on new forum software, I am open to this.  I will describe what I have in mind.
If anyone is interested in working with me on this, please let me know.  But I won't hold my breath and most likely no one will respond.  In this case, those looking for a forum with a future should look elsewhere.
Is the new forum software Blasma or another project?

If, as you fear, no volunteers come forward and thinking of all those for whom there will be no space on the remaining Nabble server, what are your plans?

As Nabble was pronounced "open source" can you provide documentation to assist those who might have their own  web hosting account and either wish to run there own forum on a fork of Nabble or export their forum to an alternative platform?

When do you plan to circulate forum administrators with the news of the forthcoming shutdown of their server?

How much notice do you plan to give of the shut down of any particular server?
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!
GregHelp - Building a set of answers to Nabble FAQs.

Re: The Future of Nabble

Franklin
Administrator
GregChapman wrote
Is the new forum software Blasma or another project?
I am assuming Blasma.

If, as you fear, no volunteers come forward and thinking of all those for whom there will be no space on the remaining Nabble server, what are your plans?
I don't think this will be an issue.  I think everyone will easily fit on one server.

As Nabble was pronounced "open source" can you provide documentation to assist those who might have their own  web hosting account and either wish to run there own forum on a fork of Nabble or export their forum to an alternative platform?
No, I don't have the time for this.  But we have an excellent sysadmin who I think would be glad to help people on a consulting basis.

When do you plan to circulate forum administrators with the news of the forthcoming shutdown of their server?

How much notice do you plan to give of the shut down of any particular server?
I haven't thought about these things yet.  Before even thinking about this, I need to know whether Israel can make Nabble profitable and I need to know whether someone will take Blasma.  It will be a few months before I know these things.

Re: The Future of Nabble

Rick

Franklin, Just a bit of insight from the other side if I may.

I don't think u realize how good a product you have.
Could it be better?
Sure.

But, let me tell you, the ease of creating my forumpage, with the tools you created, with the features it offers right away, are second to none,

My hosting company, iPage, offers Wordpress and Weebly in the package I bought from them.  Plus an in-house thing called website builder.    I built a forum 3 years ago using SMF, Simple Machine Forums, which I had to give up when it was overrun with spammers.

When you indicated Nabble might be closing down, I revisited SMF and installed Wordpress to my site, thinking I would use one or the other to fill the void if Nabble vanishes.

Well, after messing with both of them for a week, it brings back how Effin complex this stuff can be.

I don't want to use either one of them.  Life is too short.  Those code guys over there are so smart they're stupid.
I mean, if the masses can't read it, don't use it, what good is it?

Just a suggestion.   Hire a marketing guy.   Charge for the product you offer.  There is a need for a place that's easy for a layman to build a basic website. A place with color, font and design options.  A place where you don't need a 3rd party to post pics. Or be a code guy to embed a vid.  Keep it simple, colorful and easy.

Nabble is not a failure, imho.  It might not be what you were shooting for, but hey, like they say in the construction business, "there is no perfect house".

Don't sell yourself short guy, it's a great thing you've created.

Re: The Future of Nabble

Gary Lewis
Let me second Rick's statement.  I haven't used other forum applications, but Nabble works pretty well for me.  And I'd like my forum, http://www.garysgaragemahal.com, to be on the ongoing server.

And, as I've said before, I really do not want adverts on my forum.  But, as I've also said before, I'm willing to contribute to some extent to keep Nabble afloat.  However, that would not be without conditions.  For instance, the recent changes that took the Registered role away created serious problems for me.  So if I'm going to pay then I want some say in what changes are to be made.

I can understand if that wouldn't be acceptable.  In that case, I'd like to hire someone(s) to install an instance of Nabble on a commercial server somewhere.  And, provide support for that instance on an on-going basis.  Is there someone who would be willing to take this on?
I'm not Nabble support, but have Nabble running on my Weebly website: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/

Re: The Future of Nabble

fffilimnov
I know how to run nabble on Linux VPS.
I can setup your own nabble server with previous code version if you need.
Feel free to contact me directly

Re: The Future of Nabble

Lotte
fffilimnov wrote
/.../ Feel free to contact me directly
I did send a mail just now with some questions, but the copy did not reach me.. Have you received my mail?

Warm Regards,
Lotte

" Come on in. The water's fine.. "

Re: The Future of Nabble