Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

splendour80@yahoo.com
Hi,

My forum is embedded in my blog but doesn't show well on mobile devices. Is there a mobile version or I'm suppose to activate something.
This is the link http://www.hersides.com/p/forum_7.html

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Re: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

Pedro
Please, go to Extras & Add-ons -> Mobile to get a better post interface.
You can also take a look at this topic: http://support.nabble.com/Mobile-friendly-Nabble-tp7589640.html

Re: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

Digithings
Seems to work but causes Chrome to go into an infinite "refresh cache" loop. I am using the latest version of Chrome on Windows 7 Professional. Just FYI... Thanks for fixing ASAP, 60% of people browsing the web do so with mobile devices.

Re: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

GregChapman
I think I can confirm that.

I have a fully Google classified "moble-friendly" site with a forum embedded (with "Responsive" options turned on) and on the Android device I am using now I see the site's tab icon flashing every second.

Re: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

ibatey
Did this ever get resolved?  I have a gallery which works great on normal screens, but is useless on a mobile device as it cuts off 1/3 of the gallery (the RHS 1/3).

I DO have the mobile and responsiveness add-ons enabled.

I've loved the Nabble approach up until this point!

Had big plans, but without a working Mobile version I'll end up having to re-do the work in a different platform.

I'm happy for a short-term 'dirty fix', even scrollbars, but I need to be able to see the whole gallery width on mobiles.

I'd appreciate a quick response as I will need to re-engineer if I don't get a workaround in the next few days.

Re: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

GregChapman
ibatey wrote
Did this ever get resolved?
Yes. I confirmed that the flashing icon/page reload issue was fixed. on 28 April.
I have a gallery which works great on normal screens, but is useless on a mobile device as it cuts off 1/3 of the gallery (the RHS 1/3).
I am not seeing that effect on any of my sites, whether they are embedded in site classified as "Mobile-Friendly" by Google or not. On a non-embedded forum my gallery image is fully viewable by "pinching" the screen.

Can you post the URL of your site as one needs to see the code behind your site to assess where the problem is. You may need to adjust the code of the site in which the forum is embedded.
I DO have the mobile and responsiveness add-ons enabled.
By themselves these may not help.

For example the main change in the option "Better new post interface for mobile users" is, on small screens only, to remove the text from the edit box buttons so that only icons for "Quote", "Insert Image", etc. show.

Currently, the option "Responsive layout (BETA)" makes various changes to certain screens. For example, those with tabular data on them, removing certain icon columns that duplicate the text data.

I am not aware of changes to the gallery screens at the moment, but the effect you see is likely to be influenced more by the site in which the forum is embedded and the size of the image posted when originally uploaded.

RE: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

ibatey

Hi… my responses below…

URL is:  http://www.officesupercharger.com/if-i-only-had-more-time-i-would.html

I don’t really have problems with the pictures, they seem to work OK… it is just the gallery itself.  Loses about 1/3 of the screen and you can’t scroll right/left to see it.

I basically pasted the Nabble code into a HTML element on the otherwise mostly blank page.  (I use Weebly)  The gallery itself has been slightly modified using NAML (As per the support video) to produce a 5 column layout, with the command buttons moved to the top.

Happy to change the code on the site (within reason as I need to make sure I don’t screw up other pages).  My ideal would be some HTML amendment of the standard code (With inline CSS if needed).

By the way, just in case it is relevant I also get the buttons truncated on the cookie acceptance page, which is again the standard Nabble popup warning for UK/EU customers.

Regards

Ian

[...]

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Forum-not-showing-properly-in-mobile-devices-tp7589906p7594854.html

To unsubscribe from Forum not showing properly in mobile devices, click here.
NAML

RE: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

GregChapman
Hi Ian,

Oh for a better memory! In this case I didn't need the URL of the site. I should have remembered.

The problem with the gallery's thumbnail page is that, like almost all Nabble's screens, they are based on HTML tables - and tables are designed for tabular data only and always display in a fixed set of columns and rows.

So far, and the work is not complete, Nabble has been working on the most used forum pages, adjusting for small screens by dropping some items, such as avatars, which only repeat information also presented as text, from display on narrow screens, but is retaining the page's tabular structure. In the main, this strikes me as legitimate - and workable - as the remaining text comprises of relatively small components and will wrap where necessary.

However, it simply does not work for the gallery pages. Even two thumbnail images will be too wide on most phone screens in portrait mode. They need to be to be coded as lists, with appropriate styling to allow each thumbnail (and its associated text) to drop to the next line when space does not permit it alongside the previous thumbnail.

I think it's appropriate for me to raise this as a "Premium Support" issue. I do have a "Gallery" on one of my sites, but have kept it invisible for ordinary users because of the lack of a feature which I feel makes the existing gallery option between exceedingly awkward to unusable on slow connections.

Galleries in other software packages allow you to skip from one image to the next but with Nabble's you have to return to the thumbnail page each time to move to another image. I have some code in place, that Nabble provided, and I was testing to overcome this problem, but I didn't feel it was developed sufficiently to be be incorporated into Nabble's standard code and somehow it dropped of both my and Nabble's agenda.

I will also mention the cookie screen issue.

RE: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

ibatey

That’s a shame.  Thanks anyway.

The CSS/HTML I use  can usually handle tables and automatically reformats most of the page for mobiles.  (It’s a Weebly feature of the template I use)

I think nabble are at a big disadvantage without this.  The type of gallery I’ve setup is for user input… which in this case invariably would come from a phone.

Your outline comments are spot on.

I’ll have to redo the pages in another tool.

[...]

http://support.nabble.com/Forum-not-showing-properly-in-mobile-devices-tp7589906p7594878.html

To unsubscribe from Forum not showing properly in mobile devices, click here.
NAML

RE: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

GregChapman
Hi,
ibatey wrote
The CSS/HTML I use  can usually handle tables and automatically reformats
most of the page for mobiles.  (It's a Weebly feature of the template I use)
I may have understood what you are trying to say here.

Bear in mind that as the forum is served from Nabble, your Weebly template and any CSS you put in there will not affect the embedded forum.

While Nabble offers a facility to add your own CSS, its use is seriously hampered because in Nabble's code almost all the HTML elements have only "visual" classes applied, that are used on almost every screen. The result is you have no "hooks" on which to hang code that will apply only to a particular screen without affecting every other screen on the forum.  That means to write CSS that will take effect only on a Gallery screen you also need to play with the NAML code to re-write the HTML that will be generated for that page. It's something I haven't yet attempted to do.

Re: Forum not showing properly in mobile devices

ibatey
I was just commenting really, but your  information below makes sense.
You've probably saved me hours of fruitless work

Thanks and regards

Sent from my iPhone

On 27 May 2015, at 08:44, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
ibatey wrote

http://support.nabble.com/Forum-not-showing-properly-in-mobile-devices-tp7589906p7594896.html