feature questions

dlang
copied up from free support since I went ahead and added premium support :-)

is it possible to get a threaded view at the top level of a topic? once you open a topic you can get the individual posts threaded, but is there any ability to do expand this at a higher level (say at the free support level as opposed to one of the topics within that)

I see Nabble doing e-mail and web with the same content, the page on the 'universal back-end' points out how new (nntp) is structured similarly, is it possible to have nntp, e-mail, and web all showing the same content?

is there any way to mark messages as being 'seen' for a user (either per topic or overall) so that on repeated visits it's easy to see what's new?

is there a way to set user preferences for the view type (threaded, normal, list)

Re: feature questions

Hugo <Nabble>
dlang wrote
is it possible to get a threaded view at the top level of a topic? once you open a topic you can get the individual posts threaded, but is there any ability to do expand this at a higher level (say at the free support level as opposed to one of the topics within that)
You mean the ability to expand the topics directly on the forum page, as if each row were collapsed by default? In that case, you wouldn't leave the forum page to see the tree structure of each topic and would still be able to expand and collapse the posts. Is this what you mean? If yes, this is possible, but would require several hours of work from the Nabble team. We plan to release our templates feature in a few weeks. Any user would be able to implement that, but there is certainly a learning curve for this kind of implementation.
dlang wrote
I see Nabble doing e-mail and web with the same content, the page on the 'universal back-end' points out how new (nntp) is structured similarly, is it possible to have nntp, e-mail, and web all showing the same content?
Sorry, I don't understand your question here.
dlang wrote
is there any way to mark messages as being 'seen' for a user (either per topic or overall) so that on repeated visits it's easy to see what's new?
We do have this feature. The system controls the last visited date/time of each user for each topic. It uses this information to paint the color of the links (visited vs. unvisited) on the forum page. Also, when you open a topic, the system shows in bold font the messages posted after the last visit (threaded/list views only).
dlang wrote
is there a way to set user preferences for the view type (threaded, normal, list)
These views are sticky. The one you choose is kept until you switch to another view.

Re: feature questions

dlang
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
dlang wrote
I see Nabble doing e-mail and web with the same content, the page on the 'universal back-end' points out how new (nntp) is structured similarly, is it possible to have nntp, e-mail, and web all showing the same content?
Sorry, I don't understand your question here.
I have some users who want to use e-mail, some who want to use a browser, and some that want to use a news reader, they all need to see the same content.

Nabble looks like it does a good job of displaying the mail and dealing with mailing lists, can I add a news server to this (with items posted to the news server then showing up in e-mail, etc)

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
dlang wrote
is there any way to mark messages as being 'seen' for a user (either per topic or overall) so that on repeated visits it's easy to see what's new?
We do have this feature. The system controls the last visited date/time of each user for each topic. It uses this information to paint the color of the links (visited vs. unvisited) on the forum page. Also, when you open a topic, the system shows in bold font the messages posted after the last visit (threaded/list views only).
Good, I assume that with the template stuff that you referred to I could collapse already read messages.

what about the ability to have the last visited updated manually? or check back to prior times?

for example, lwn.net has a Comments/unread page that shows you all new comments since your last visit, but if something happens and you end up having to refresh the page before you finish reading (say your browser crashes) you can pick from your 5 prior checks

being able to manually mark "I've read everything in this topic" or "I've read everything in every topic" is handy to have if you know ahead of time that you aren't going to have time to read everything, but want to check for something (achieved by _not_ selecting the 'I've read buttons'), and it also lets you decide that you don't care about anything currently there (possibly by just looking at the subjects/authors)

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
dlang wrote
is there a way to set user preferences for the view type (threaded, normal, list)
These views are sticky. The one you choose is kept until you switch to another view.
Ok, I haven't seen that yet (I suspect it's because of the number of tabs I have open)

Thanks
David Lang

Re: feature questions

Hugo <Nabble>
dlang wrote
I have some users who want to use e-mail, some who want to use a browser, and some that want to use a news reader, they all need to see the same content.

Nabble looks like it does a good job of displaying the mail and dealing with mailing lists, can I add a news server to this (with items posted to the news server then showing up in e-mail, etc)
We don't have specific code for news servers, so I am not sure we can support this. If your news servers can act like a mailing list server, then it should be possible to integrate them.
dlang wrote
Good, I assume that with the template stuff that you referred to I could collapse already read messages.
In theory, anything will be possible because you will have full control over the HTML pages of your forum. In the worst case, you would have to implement a java module to do some hard work in the back end.
dlang wrote
what about the ability to have the last visited updated manually? or check back to prior times?

for example, lwn.net has a Comments/unread page that shows you all new comments since your last visit, but if something happens and you end up having to refresh the page before you finish reading (say your browser crashes) you can pick from your 5 prior checks

being able to manually mark "I've read everything in this topic" or "I've read everything in every topic" is handy to have if you know ahead of time that you aren't going to have time to read everything, but want to check for something (achieved by _not_ selecting the 'I've read buttons'), and it also lets you decide that you don't care about anything currently there (possibly by just looking at the subjects/authors)
This is also possible to implement with our templating language. Such changes wouldn't be dead simple, but are certainly possible.