Subsribers

Spacedout
Hello Hugo,

How do I invite subscribers?

Thanks

Karl

Re: Subsribers

GregChapman
Hugo will have to install this option for you.

Re: Subsribers

Spacedout
Thanks again Greg I'll wait for Hugo to install this option.

Regards

Karl

Re: Subsribers

Hugo <Nabble>
Karl, I installed the module on your forum. You can click on Options > Users > Manage Subscribers. You will see a "Invite Subscribers" tab.

Re: Subsribers

Spacedout
Thank you Hugo,

Can I just check, does this means they would receive emails for every post or can I invite just to register with the forum or a specific category?

Thanks

Karl

Re: Subsribers

Hugo <Nabble>
They will receive an email that invites them to be a subscriber of your forum. If they accept the subscription, then they will receive an email for every post from that moment on.
If you want to invite them just to register, then you can send them an email from your personal address.

Re: Subsribers

Spacedout
Okay so if I invite them whilst I am in a category then they are subscribing to that category only, is this correct?  Also, would this be New posts only or all post for this category?  Also, if people subscribe to this category without registering with the forum how do I keep tabs on this?  Currently I can only see registered users.

Thanks

Karl

Re: Subsribers

GregChapman
Spacedout wrote
Okay so if I invite them whilst I am in a category then they are subscribing to that category only, is this correct?
Yes.

At any level in a Nabble forum - topic, sub-forum, or the top level, there is an the option:

Options > subscribe via email

That subscribes you to that level and all levels below. The "Invite subscriber" option works in the same way.
 Also, would this be New posts only or all post for this category?
When you initiate an invitation, they are sent an email which includes a link to the subscription page on the forum as if they had selected:

Options > subscribe via email

themselves. They then have the same choices of the type of subscription they take. As administrator, you have no control over their choice or ability to monitor it. All you know is that they have a subscription of some sort.
if people subscribe to this category without registering with the forum how do I keep tabs on this?  Currently I can only see registered users.
The best way to keep track of users is via the two options:

Options > Users > Manage Users & Groups (where you switch between different group memberships)
Options > Users > Manage subscribers

Unfortunately, it is difficult to track and analyse subscribers because subscriptions can be taken at any subordinate level, whereas a user's group is fixed for the whole forum. You may need to request an additional module for your purpose.

I suspect such a feature would be greatly welcomed by many forum administrators that have a large proportion of subscribers. I have suggested a cruder facility in the past - an option to receive an email when a user takes out a subscription - in much the same way that there is already an option to receive notification when a user registers - but I wasn't paying for Premium Support at the time!

Re: Subsribers

Spacedout
Thank you Greg you are very helpful indeed

I just noticed you can see who has subscribed without actually registering so that's fine.  Yes to the email notification for subscribers too that would be very useful.

Thanks again Greg your help is very much appreciated!

Regards

Karl