Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos
Is there a way to sort the users when you go to "People"?  I will have over 1000 active members and trying to find a single person in 50 pages worth of members to add/change their usergroup will be impossible.

I tried to enter them alphabetically under "Manage Users & Groups", but it didn't maintain that sort - what is the sort set at now?

Better yet would be a way for Administrators to search for a particular user (perhaps under the Manage Users & Groups area) and then be able to access the user page to be able to Add/Remove groups, Send an Email , Ban the user and/or see their posts.

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Sort Users

GregChapman
Coleen_Astalos wrote
I tried to enter them alphabetically under "Manage Users & Groups", but it didn't maintain that sort - what is the sort set at now?
It appears to be similar to the "People" list, primarily by number of posts, possibly by date registered then date of "Anyone" status after that. Not sure beyond that!
Better yet would be a way for Administrators to search for a particular user (perhaps under the Manage Users & Groups area) and then be able to access the user page to be able to Add/Remove groups, Send an Email , Ban the user and/or see their posts.
I'm curious.

I find that I only need to access the user's profile screen and take the actions available there on viewing a post or receiving a registration notification email. Both those provide direct access to the user's profile screen.  It's true that without a post or or new registration notification in view access to a user profile who has not posted is tricky, but what scenario have you in mind that requires a general search through all users?

RE: Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos

My situation is this:  My site is a paid membership site and we also give a free 2-week trial.  This is a site for artistic/creative people - so most are very inept with computers.

When I have someone sign up for the trial (or sign up for a certain length subscription) I add them to my password protected site.  [I'm still debating whether I will create a registration for them in Nabble (with the same password as the site) or whether I'll leave it to them to create a registration IF they want to post (90% of my members never post - just view)]  I have my Nabble set up so that anyone can view the discussions (Nabble is embedded within my password protected site - so they'll only be able to view if they have access to my site).  But they have to be in the "Members" group to post.   I could changed viewing to "registered" or "members", but then they HAVE to register/login first before seeing anything.  I'd rather the trial people at least be able to see the discussions as that may help them decide if they want to sign up or not.

I currently have over 1000 members.  Each month I have 20-30 members leave, 50-100 trial members of which 20-30 end up  joining.  Plus, I always have a handful of paid members whose recurring payment doesn't go thru and they don't correct it - removing them causes them to take the necessary action to pay again (then I have to re-add them).

When their trial ends (or their subscription expires), I need to remove them from the Members group and add them to the "Expired Members" group.  So I need to be able to find the person easily to change what group they are in.  That is why I need to be able to search the People area to make that change - maybe there is an easier way?

I'm also struggling with any subscriptions they may have created while they were a member (or a trial member).  The "Expired Members" group has no permissions (not even to view). I was hoping that moving them there, would make it so the system wouldn't generate any emails to them for subscriptions.  But that doesn't seem to be the case - since they're ALWAYS in the "Anyone" group, which has viewing privileges and as such allows the subscription to go out.   It seems like the only way I could get around having to remove subscriptions is to make them register and restrict viewing to only "Members" (which defeats wanting members to be able to view without having to login).  Maybe there is a customization that I could do to only allow subscriptions to go out if they're in the "Members" group.   This would allow me to leave the subscriptions (which is a larger problem as there is not just one, but one for each subcategory in the forum) and then if they rejoin, their same subscriptions would just resume.

Does that long winded explanation help?

Coleen

RE: Sort Users

GregChapman
Thanks! It helps enormously in appreciating the scale of the issue for you.

(In my thinking I had rather set aside the whole subscription based nature of your site. I can see that does make a significant difference in need compared to the average Nabble Administrator.)

RE: Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos

While I do think it's a good idea to have a search feature for the "People" section or a way to sort or something to make sense of a potentially pages long lists of names/emails for large groups.  As the administrator, I can use the "Manage Users & Groups" area to easily find a member to remove from one group and add to another group using the search the browser page.

I would also like to see an option that allows you to specify which users can see which gruops.  For example, I'd like only the administrators to be able to see Registered users.  But the way it's set up, if I uncheck Registered Users from being shown, then even I as the administrator can't' see them on the People page.  Or if I have a group that is restricted to only certain member (like Newsletter Co-op) I'd like those members to be able to see who is in that group, but I don't want everyone to be able to see who is in the newsletter co-op group.  It's not a big deal, but would be nice to have future option.

Coleen

RE: Sort Users

Pedro
I made a feature in order to search users by name. Hope it can be useful.
Add this at your naml code, note that is one override and a few new macros:
<override_macro name="people_tabbed_pane">
        <n.horizontal_tab_control.>
            <n.add_horizontal_tab
            url="[n.page_node.people_path/]"
            text="[t]Users & Groups[/t]"
            selected="[n.is_people_default/]"
            details="[n.visible_users_table.people_columns/]"
            />
            <n.add_horizontal_tab
            url="[n.page_node.people_path filter='online-users'/]"
            text="[t]Online Users[/t]"
            selected="[n.is_online_users/]"
            details="[n.online_users_table.people_columns/]"
            />
            <n.add_horizontal_tab
            url="[n.page_node.people_path filter='list'/]"
            text="[t]Search[/t]"
            selected="[n.is_people_filter value='list'/]"
            details="[n.page_node.raw_subscriber_list.people_columns/]"
            />
        </n.horizontal_tab_control.>
</override_macro>

<macro name='is_people_search'>
    <n.is_people_filter value='list' />
</macro>

<macro name='is_people_default'>
    <n.both condition1="[n.not.is_online_users/]" condition2="[n.not.is_people_search/]"/>
</macro>

<macro name="raw_subscriber_list" requires="node" dot_parameter="columns">
    <n.put_in_head.>
    </n.put_in_head.>

    <n.zebra_table_javascript table_selector="table.subscriptions"/>

    <form method="post" action=""  class=''>
    </form>
    <n.if.is_submitted_form>
        <then>
            <n.searched_users_list.>
                <n.people_table.>
                    <n.columns/>
                </n.people_table.>
            </n.searched_users_list.>
        </then>
    </n.if.is_submitted_form>
</macro>

<macro name="searched_users_list" dot_parameter="do" requires="node_page">
    <n.site_users. start="1" length="99" filter="name like '%[n.get_parameter name='name' /]%'">
        <n.do/>
    </n.site_users.>
</macro>
Please, test it for me.

RE: Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos
Ok, I've installed all the pieces and I'm not seeing what I expect.  For example, if I search for "coleen" (no quotes when I search), I only get :
coleen.pers - Unregistered user

But there are the following other users that have coleen in them (and what groups they belong to):
Coleen_Astalos - Registered, Administrator, Member
Coleen GoJade - Registered, Expired Member
coleen.pub - Unregistered user
Coleen Gmail - Registered, Members

If I search for Coleen (upper case C instead of lower case C) I get:
Coleen GoJade and
Coleen Gmail,
But not the Coleen_Astalos one (or either of the lower case coleen ones)

Even if I search for Coleen_Astalos I don't get the main one for me.

If I use wildcard characters of * or ? I get no results.

I really would like to be able to search either the name or email address and get all results that include any part of the search string (regardless of case).  But let's see if we can get the name part working first and if we can, then look at adding email to the search.

Thanks,
Coleen

RE: Sort Users

Pedro
Please, try this new code for searched_users_list and the new macro.
<macro name="searched_users_list" dot_parameter="do" requires="node_page">
    <n.site_users. start="1" length="99">
        <n.filter_by.contains_substring string="[n.to_lower_case.current_user.name/]" substring="[n.to_lower_case.searchName/]"/>
        <n.do/>
    </n.site_users.>
</macro>

<macro name='searchName'>
    <n.get_parameter name='name' />
</macro>

RE: Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos
We're closer (now upper/lower case works), but still not there.

Same 5 users:
coleen.pers - Unregistered user
Coleen_Astalos - Registered, Administrator, Member
Coleen GoJade - Registered, Expired Member
coleen.pub - Unregistered user
Coleen Gmail - Registered, Members

Search on coleen or Coleen now gives me only these two entries:
Coleen GoJade
coleen.pub
(none of the other 3)

Search on Astalos - no results
Search on Coleen_Astalos - no results

Coleen

RE: Sort Users

Pedro
Ok, I note that you have more than 99 users and you are the user "0".
I've changed the searched list to <n.site_users. start="0" length="99999">  .
Take a look now.

RE: Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos
Works great.  When I go opertional I'll have well over 1000 members and more members are added daily.  So 99999 is a good upper limit.

Now is there a way we could add the email to this search (and display the email address next to the username too)?
Coleen

RE: Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos
I set up the display of the users email address on the peoples page.  But still need help on searching by email address as well.
Thanks
Coleen

RE: Sort Users

Pedro
This is the email filter:
<n.filter_by.contains_substring string="[n.to_lower_case.current_user.user_email/]" substring="[n.to_lower_case.searchName/]"/>

If you add it at searched_users_list macro it will check if the searched text is in Name and Email at the same time.
But you can check the searched text at an hypothetical string that contains Name and Email. So that, if one of them has the text, it will be shown:
<macro name="searched_users_list" dot_parameter="do" requires="node_page">
    <n.site_users. start="0" length="999">
        <n.filter_by.contains_substring string="[n.to_lower_case.current_user.name/]+[n.to_lower_case.current_user.user_email/]" substring="[n.to_lower_case.searchName/]"/>
        <n.do/>
    </n.site_users.>
</macro>

RE: Sort Users

Coleen_Astalos
Thanks.  Works great!
Coleen

RE: Search Users

Coleen_Astalos
I realized I'm going to need a similar search like this for the Subscribed Users - as I know I'm going to have to unsubscirbe members for them.

I can see two options for this:
1) Add a search tab to the manage_subscribers page to allow me to search for a user name/email address
or
2) Under the user_nodes page add a new entry that shows all subscriptions.

The second option would be preferable so I can see all their subscriptions at once.  But if #1 is easier I can work with it.

Thanks,
Coleen

RE: Search Users

Pedro
I didn't understand the second option.

RE: Search Users

Coleen_Astalos
The second option is on this user page:

To have an option that says "Subscriptions" that gives a list of all the subscriptions that user has in the forum.

This would also be really nice for the users themselves to be able to see what they're subscribed to and be able to unsubscribe in one place.
Coleen

RE: Search Users

Pedro
It seems to be totally different from the first option which is easy to do.

RE: Search Users

Coleen_Astalos

Yeah, that's what I thought.  But I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask for option 2!

Let me know what I need to do to implement option 1.

Thanks,

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, [hidden email]
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

RE: Search Users

Pedro
Do you prefer another tab to search or search field at Current Subscribers tab?