Search in Private Areas

GregChapman
I have a number of forums where there are private areas with the "View" permission removed for those in the "Anyone" group. It appears that any forum or sub-forum must be set for "Anyone" to "View" for Nabble's search engine to be able to spider that area.

Is there any code that can be applied in NAML that will allow access to the search results while still keeping the results only viewable by authorised users.

For example, could the search engine be assigned a dummy email address, so an administrator could add a group "Search" and assign the dummy address to it. That would give the ability to an administrator to add or remove the "View" permission from the "Search" group thus controlling which forums/sub-forums were searched. Obviously, an additional filter would need to be added to the results so users only saw the results from those sub-forums where they themselves had the "View" permission?

Just an idea... Doable?

Re: Search in Private Areas

Harvey
Just a guess but I'd say no.

Re: Search in Private Areas

Greg, sorry for the delay.
GregChapman wrote
It appears that any forum or sub-forum must be set for "Anyone" to "View" for Nabble's search engine to be able to spider that area.
This is not totally true. The search engine does work in the private areas, but you have to search from there. In other words, go to a private area and try to search for a private topic. The search dropdown will be initially set to "Everywhere" -- please change it to "In <subforum-name>". The search should work, please check.

I understand that ideally the search engine should work from anywhere and should always display what the user can view, but this is hard to implement. The solution above shouldn't be an issue if you have one (or at most two) private areas in your forum. What do you think?

Re: Search in Private Areas

GregChapman
Hi Hugo,

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
The search engine does work in the private areas, but you have to search from there. In other words, go to a private area and try to search for a private topic. The search dropdown will be initially set to "Everywhere" -- please change it to "In <subforum-name>". The search should work, please check.
I've now done quite a few tests in various forums at various levels in the structure and, as you suggest, this seems to work reliably.
I understand that ideally the search engine should work from anywhere and should always display what the user can view, but this is hard to implement. The solution above shouldn't be an issue if you have one (or at most two) private areas in your forum. What do you think?
Currently, I do not have any forums where my users are likely to want to search in multiple private areas so, for the time being, it is not a problem, but certainly it would be better to allow a search across multiple areas.

I can get away with it because I tend to have only one private "chat" area in any forum, where people might want to search for historic entries. Any other private area in the same forum tends to be for reference material where topics are pinned into alphabetical order, making the need to search far less likely - and even if a search was required the user would know that what he wanted would be in that one "reference" area.