Script to convert a downloaded Nabble backup to standard mbox format

Script to convert a downloaded Nabble backup to standard mbox format

David (EVDL Admin)
This post was updated on .
Thanks. I appreciate the emailed warning.  Unfortunately our forum is an email discussion list archive, so aw foo.

All I can say is that we're grateful to Nabble for almost 14 years of reliable service.

QUESTION, if I may:

Does anyone know of a script to convert a downloaded Nabble backup to standard mbox format, or will I need to roll one myself?  The backup info at http://n4.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=54 contains a link to "learn more" about the forum structure, but it's dead and gone to 404 heaven.

Re: Script to convert a downloaded Nabble backup to standard mbox format

Richard Sargent
David (EVDL Admin) wrote
Thanks. I appreciate the emailed warning.  Unfortunately our forum is an email discussion list archive, so aw foo.

All I can say is that we're grateful to Nabble for almost 14 years of reliable service.

QUESTION, if I may:

Does anyone know of a script to convert a downloaded Nabble backup to standard mbox format, or will I need to roll one myself?  The backup info at http://n4.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=54 contains a link to "learn more" about the forum structure, but it's dead and gone to 404 heaven.
No script for you, but I can tell you that the backup is a zipped Postgres database backup. The node_msg file under e.g. pg_backup\schemas\s1294792\tables contains the messages in email cleartext format. The parent directory contains the SQL definitions, including tables.sql to help you interpret the tuples.

PGCOPY....................E.c....Return-path: <pharo-bugtracker-bounces@lists.gforge.inria.fr>..Envelope-to: lists+1303112041398-3456798@n4.nabble.com..Delivery-date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 02:47:20 -0700..Received: from mail1-relais-roc.national.inria.fr ([192.134.164.82])...by sam.nabble.com with esmtp (Exim 4.72)...(envelope-from <pharo-bugtracker-bounces@lists.gforge.inria.fr>)...id
 <etc>

Postgres documentation for the file (and all the other files) can be found at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/sql-copy.html. See the Binary Format section well down the page.

The heart of the schema is probably the node table which looks like the defines the relationships between messages.

Good luck!

Re: Script to convert a downloaded Nabble backup to standard mbox format

Cody1
Any chance you have created such a script that you can share?