Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Coleen_Astalos
I'm not sure if this is even possible, but the #1 thing that I think would make Nabble more user friendly is an upgrade to the editor so that it doesn't just show you HTML coding, but actually is a WYSIWYG editor.

This is the #1 turnoff of my members using the online site to post.  It's very cumbersome to compose a post and then have to check formatting/layout using the Preview Message option.  Most people are more familiar with WYSIWYG editors where it shows  you exactly what the post will look like as you type.  When they see the HTML coding they are confused and it screams "OLD" to them.

If it was more intuitive to post online, I think more of my members would use the online site and that would result in more page views and thus more advertising $$'s!

Just a suggestion for a future enhancement.
Coleen

Re: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Pedro
Please, take a look on my forum http://pedro-3.1104361.n5.nabble.com/format-tp4151.html , try to reply and use some format features.
Note that, Nabble tags won't work together with this WYSIWYG editor.

RE: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Coleen_Astalos

Pedro,

This looks GREAT!  A few things I noticed...

1) When you pick the Font size, Font Family or Font Format, it doesn't display the selection in the box like you would normally expect (so you know what the current font/size is)

2) Adding an image requires it be on the web somewhere - can this be changed to load an image to Nabble and display it - like the current option?

3) There isn't an option for attaching a file to the post.

But overall a significant improvement!

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, [hidden email]
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

RE: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Pedro
As I said, we can't use our tags with NicEdit, the editor that I used.
As this editor doesn't have a file upload tag, we can try to toggle them as I did below:
http://pedro-3.1104361.n5.nabble.com/format-td4151.html#a4159
see at the bottom of the page two buttons to toggle the editor. Try it mixing our and NicEdit tags.
Let me know what do you think.

There are some others editors here:
http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/10-best-wysiwyg-text-and-html-editors-for-your-next-project/
You can choose another one and I will try to help you implement in your site.

RE: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Coleen_Astalos

I'll look at the other editors.  But, I noticed on the NicEdit demo they have two icons for images:

Add Image - which is what you have on the Nabble test - adds an image from a URL.

Upload Image - uploads an image from your computer - which is what we'd want, is that an option for us?

If we could get the "Upload Image" option, then we're 99% there - the only missing function we use is uploading a file that NicEdit doesn't seem to have.

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, [hidden email]
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

As I said, we can't use our tags with NicEdit, the editor that I used.
As this editor doesn't have a file upload tag, we can try to toggle them as I did below:
http://pedro-3.1104361.n5.nabble.com/format-td4151.html#a4159
see at the bottom of the page two buttons to toggle the editor. Try it mixing our and NicEdit tags.
Let me know what do you think.

There are some others editors here:
http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/design/10-best-wysiwyg-text-and-html-editors-for-your-next-project/
You can choose another one and I will try to help you implement in your site.

http://support.nabble.com/Recommendation-for-Editor-Upgrade-tp7591631p7591665.html

To unsubscribe from Recommendation for Editor Upgrade, click here.
NAML

Pedro - could you try this one on your test site: http://imperavi.com/redactor/
It looks very simple and clean and has everything we need including inserting images, files & videos.
Coleen

Have you seem this one: http://www.tinymce.com/index.php ?

I didn't realize this one wasn't free.  But it's reasonable priced.  If there was a way it could be tested out first to make sure it works for us, we'd contribute to the license fee cost.
Coleen

Alright, I'll try this one.

Me neither. Look: http://imperavi.com/redactor/download/ , there is no free/trial license.

Please, choose another editor.

RE: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Coleen_Astalos
Pedro <Nabble> wrote
Have you seem this one: http://www.tinymce.com/index.php ?
I looked at this one and I don't see the capability to upload a file.

NicEdit works fine - except for the fact that there isn't a way to attach files (and that seems to be the case for most of the free ones).

An alternative would be to use something free like NicEdit and then add another input box on the post message / edit message page that allows you to attach files to a post?   Not sure it would be worth the extra coding versus paying for something like Redactor that has it included in their plugin (and has a very nice interface).

Coleen

RE: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Coleen_Astalos
Pedro,
Can you try this one: http://editor.froala.com/download ?
It looks nearly like the Redactor one, has all the capabilities that we'd like including easy Image and File uploads
While it has a cost it has a free download that we could try out first.
Coleen

I tried several things and the closest I got was a toggle button between Nabble Editor and nicEditor. Do you have more suggestions?

I tried several things and the closest I got was a toggle button between Nabble Editor and nicEditor. Do you have more suggestions?

http://support.nabble.com/Recommendation-for-Editor-Upgrade-tp7591631p7591692.html

To unsubscribe from Recommendation for Editor Upgrade, click here.
NAML

Pedro, any progress on trying this one?
Coleen

RE: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Pedro
Hi Coleen,
I couldn't make an upload file button work in any editor,

RE: Recommendation for Editor Upgrade

Coleen_Astalos

Pedro,

This one has an upload file option built into it...

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, [hidden email]
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

I couldn't make an upload file button work in any editor,

http://support.nabble.com/Recommendation-for-Editor-Upgrade-tp7591631p7591945.html

To unsubscribe from Recommendation for Editor Upgrade, click here.
NAML

Which one?

Froala Editor: http://editor.froala.com
It has a nice drag and drop for both image uploads as well as file uploads.
Coleen

It worked. Please, reply this post http://pedro-3.1104361.n5.nabble.com/icons-td4148.html in order to test the editor.