Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos
This problem appears to be only with emails that are sent to the forum via Gmail accounts.  While the post looks fine on the Nabble site, and the received email in Gmail looks fine, the emailed version displayed in Outlook has  symbols in them.  It looks like it occurs after certain symbols such as a period(.), exclamation point(!) and sometimes a colon (:).

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

I'm also attaching the HTML from this same email.
Outlook Version:SU!_Just_Sayin'.htm
Gmail Version:JustSayin-GoogleVersion

Ideas?
Coleen

Re: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Pedro
I don't have outlook to test it. Have it started after our attachments changes?

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos

No, it's been there since before that.  Let me know if there is anything I can provide you to help.  Perhaps there is a way to just strip off any of those characters right before the email is sent?

Coleen

I don't have outlook to test it. Have it started after our attachments changes?

http://support.nabble.com/Posts-going-thru-Gmail-have-funny-A-symbol-tp7589092p7589108.html

To unsubscribe from Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol, click here.
NAML

Give me a link on your forum to a post that contains this character, even though It is not possible to see on web.

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos

Here you go: http://forum.sudsol.org/Test-of-email-sent-directly-from-Google-td4527.html

I've also attached the HTML I get in Outlook to this email.

Coleen

Give me a link on your forum to a post that contains this character, even though It is not possible to see on web.

My test forum.

SU! Test of email sent directly from Google.htm (44K) Download Attachment

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos

I meant to include a picture of what that post looked like in my Outlook.  Here it is:

Coleen

Give me a link on your forum to a post that contains this character, even though It is not possible to see on web.

http://support.nabble.com/Posts-going-thru-Gmail-have-funny-A-symbol-tp7589092p7589115.html

To unsubscribe from Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol, click here.
NAML

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Pedro
It might be something in gmail. Even though, in the web app, we don't see the character, we can see that there are two characters on that spot, the space and the Â.
Please review your gmail encoding settings.
This might help you:
Sounds like you need to change your encoding setting. Click the topmost gear (up in the right corner), choose Mail settings, then go to General, scroll all the way down to Outgoing message encoding, and then choose Use default text encoding for outgoing messages
source.

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos

It's already set to default text.  So that's not it.

Isn't there just a way we can strip off the  symbol when a post either comes in via email using Regex.   (Perhaps in process_message_html where other special characters are handled)  Or before it is distributed via email?

Coleen

It might be something in gmail. Even though, in the web app, we don't see the character, we can see that there are two characters on that spot, the space and the Â.
Please review your gmail encoding settings.
This might help you:
Sounds like you need to change your encoding setting. Click the topmost gear (up in the right corner), choose Mail settings, then go to General, scroll all the way down to Outgoing message encoding, and then choose Use default text encoding for outgoing messages

http://support.nabble.com/Posts-going-thru-Gmail-have-funny-A-symbol-tp7589092p7589142.html

To unsubscribe from Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol, click here.
NAML

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Pedro
I have to understand if it is a general problem. My posts with gmail doesn't have that character, so, I have to investigate why this is happening to you. The obvious reason would be your encoding, now I have to find another one.

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Please, set it as utf-8 and tell me what you see.

Re: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos
I changed it to utf-8 and submitted a message with an exclamation point ! in it.  It came across in Outlook the same was (as an A hat)  Here is a picture of what it looks like in my Outlook:

Inline image 2
I even tried displaying the messages in plain text format and I see the same thing in Outlook.
Coleen

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please, set it as utf-8 and tell me what you see.

http://support.nabble.com/Posts-going-thru-Gmail-have-funny-A-symbol-tp7589092p7589147.html
To unsubscribe from Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol, click here.
NAML

Can you set your outlook incoming encoding to utf-8?

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos

No, I seem to only be able to set it to HTML or plain text.

Coleen

Can you set your outlook incoming encoding to utf-8?

http://support.nabble.com/Posts-going-thru-Gmail-have-funny-A-symbol-tp7589092p7589152.html

To unsubscribe from Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol, click here.
NAML

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos
Ok, I figured out how to change an individual email message to display in UTF-8 format and the A hat symbol goes away.   But I've not found a way (yet) for all incoming emails to be displayed in UTF-8 format in Outlook.
Coleen

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Please, reply this message with an exclamation, via gmail. Let me see how it will be show,
Remember to never copy and paste any message, always type every thing.

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos
Here is a post that may be of interest:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16715071/php-mail-with-utf-8-encoding-displays-incorrectly-in-microsoft-mail-clients to this problem

Removal of the quotes around the utf-8 charset definition in PHP mailer was the solution for them.
Coleen

Re: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos
I am replying to this email from Gmail!  I hope this gives you the information that you need.
I can be very excited in my replies and use lots of !!! points!
Coleen

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please, reply this message with an exclamation, via gmail. Let me see how it will be show,
Remember to never copy and paste any message, always type every thing.

http://support.nabble.com/Posts-going-thru-Gmail-have-funny-A-symbol-tp7589092p7589155.html
To unsubscribe from Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol, click here.
NAML

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos
I also found this that might be of interest:
http://www.emailonacid.com/blog/details/C13/the_importance_of_content-type_character_encoding_in_html_emails

Which states that Gmail is the only client that automatically converts your text to UTF-8, no matter what the header Content-Type is set to.

Hope this helps you figure it out.
Coleen

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Coleen_Astalos
Pedro,
Here is a test that I did that I think shows the problem happens while going thru Nabble.

I sent an email from my Gmail account to Nabble and CC'd it to my Gmail account.  It was sent with utf-8 encoding.

The copy that I get directly (without going thru nabble) the encoding remains as utf and shows in the HTML as:

The copy that goes thru Nabble, the encoding changes to windows-1252:

I don't know where the encoding gets set in Nabble when the emails are generated - but it appears that the encoding is being set to windows-1252 and perhaps needs to be changed to utf-8.

All the emails I get from Nabble have the windows-1252 encoding (not just the ones sent via gmail).  But apparently it's only a problem with gmail originated emails as they apparently add some special characters that are only handled properly by utf-8 encoding.  If I change the encoding in Outlook to show the message in utf-8 format the funny  character goes away.  But there isn't a way in Outlook to set utf-8 as a default as Outlook uses the encoding provided in the email itself (as it should).  So in order to change the encoding to utf-8, you have to change it for each individual incoming message which is a pain (and most of my members wouldn't want to or know how to do).

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Coleen

RE: Posts going thru Gmail have funny  symbol

Pedro
I'll prepare some test for you. The problem is not so clear yet.