Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

iMotorcycle
Hi I'm planning to embed a Nabble Newspaper feed in a web site, as a way of having an easily updatable News page (in a site built using Adobe Muse).

Is there a way to hide the bits on the right — "New posts, Options, Feed, Subscribe, Archives" — to leave just the entries themselves? The idea is that only I will make the entries. (Readers could post comments or replies below if they wanted to.)

I tried embedding the Nabble feed in a Muse page and hiding the bits at the right underneath another Muse element, but this doesn't work because when you click on the link to open the story, it expands to the full width — so the section on the right is hidden.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

GregChapman
I have a newspaper application embedded in my site at:
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com/blog/index.html
The general layout is achieved through: Options > Application > Change Appearance > Preferences > Page Layout and set the option to "Narrow". Will that do what you want? (You can't afford to remove the various menu options as then you cannot control the app, but it does remove the sidebar.) If not then describe more fully what you seek and the Nabble team may be able to edit the NAML for you.
Volunteer Helper - but recommending that users move off the platform!
VIst GregHelp to discuss Nabble Alternatives.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

iMotorcycle
Hi Greg

Many thanks, your Greg Afloat application is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. I've set mine to Narrow as you suggest, which has successfully removed the sidebar.

It does however seem to have left links to New Post, People and Options just above the first entry, so seems to be allowing anyone to make a post. As with your site, the aim is for me to be the only one who can post or make changes, so it would be great if there were a way to disable these?

I noticed with Greg Afloat that you allow readers to make a Comment, but they have to log in, which is as I'd expect. But again, with mine it seems to be possible to comment without logging in. I thought perhaps this was just showing up because I was logged in, but when I emailed the link to my wife's computer it still allowed her to add a comment without logging in.

Basically the way you have Greg Afloat set up is just how I envisaged my news/blog page, so if you could let me know the workings of that, please, I'd be very grateful indeed! It's such a relief to find such an elegant solution to adding a blog style page to a Muse web site, because up until now I haven't been able to find a way of doing this.

By the way I noticed you have added a border and captions to some photos on Greg Afloat, so if there is a simple way to do that I'd be interested to know, please.

And sorry, hope you don't mind one more question: I tried to make a post including a photo via email, but the photo didn't appear in the site in the normal way (and when I emailed a photo direct from the phone, it had to be downloaded with a click, rather than just appearing). I guess there's probably no way round that, so I'll just upload them from the blog page. But it would sometimes be useful to be able to upload direct from the phone, so if there is a simple way round this perhaps you'd please let me know.

Thanks again.

Roland Brown





On 2 Sep 2012, at 22:30, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] wrote:

I have a newspaper application embedded in my site at:
http://www.gregafloat.plus.com/blog/index.html
The general layout is achieved through: Options > Application > Change Appearance > Preferences > Page Layout and set the option to "Narrow". Will that do what you want? (You can't afford to remove the various menu options as then you cannot control the app, but it does remove the sidebar.) If not then describe more fully what you seek and the Nabble team may be able to edit the NAML for you.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://support.nabble.com/Possible-to-hide-New-posts-etc-tp7581204p7581205.html
To unsubscribe from Possible to hide "New posts" etc?, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

Pedro
Hi,
Please see Options -> Members -> Change Permissions. There you can change the permissions for all type of users. You can unmark "Create_topic" and "Reply" for all type of users.
Let me know if you want to remove the "New post" link too, so I will have to edit your NAML code.
iMotorcycle wrote
 I tried to make a post including a photo via email, but the photo didn't appear in the site in the normal way
Which email provider do you use? In gmail you have to click "Insert Image" when you are writing the message.
My test forum.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

GregChapman
In reply to this post by iMotorcycle
I think Pedro has answered most of your questions except how I achieve the borders and captions round photographs. This is relatively simple, but does require adding some code to the CSS dialogue at: Options > Application > Change appearance > CSS
.nabble .caption750 {
	background-color: #ddddee;
	width: 760px;
	text-align: center;
	font-size: 0.9em;
	margin: 5px auto;
	padding: 5px 0px;
	border: 1px solid #000080;
}
In my most recent post, you'd see this in the edit box:
<p class="caption750"><nabble_img src="keelseal01.jpg" border="0" class="center" alt="Rust Marks in the
Cockpit"/>I had first noticed the rusty stain a month ago which had accumulated in various corners of
<i>Just&nbsp;17</i>.<br>Then I assumed it was caused by iron filings blown across the dyke from the quay
heading work.</p>

If you need any of this code explaining, let me know.
Volunteer Helper - but recommending that users move off the platform!
VIst GregHelp to discuss Nabble Alternatives.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

iMotorcycle
Many thanks Greg. Unfortunately I’ve spent all day getting to Spain and will be here working all week, but I look forward to trying it all out when  I get home.

Regards

Roland



On 3 Sep 2012, at 09:00, "GregChapman [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think Pedro has answered most of your questions except how I achieve the borders and captions round photographs. This is relatively simple, but does require adding some code to the CSS dialogue at: Options > Application > Change appearance > CSS
.nabble .caption750 {
	background-color: #ddddee;
	width: 760px;
	text-align: center;
	font-size: 0.9em;
	margin: 5px auto;
	padding: 5px 0px;
	border: 1px solid #000080;
}
In my most recent post, you'd see this in the edit box:
<p class="caption750"><nabble_img src="keelseal01.jpg" border="0" class="center" alt="Rust Marks in the
Cockpit"/>I had first noticed the rusty stain a month ago which had accumulated in various corners of
<i>Just&nbsp;17</i>.<br>Then I assumed it was caused by iron filings blown across the dyke from the quay
heading work.</p>

If you need any of this code explaining, let me know.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://support.nabble.com/Possible-to-hide-New-posts-etc-tp7581204p7581211.html
To unsubscribe from Possible to hide "New posts" etc?, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

iMotorcycle
In reply to this post by Pedro
Hi Pedro

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I chose a bad time to enquire about this because I’ve just spent all day getting to Spain and will be here all week with no chance to update my Nabble efforts — but I look forward to doing so when I get home!

I would like to remove the New Post option if possible please because I’d like to use the Nabble feeds as ’news blogs’ on a web site I’m working on in Adobe Muse, so if you could let me know how to remove this too, please, I’d be very grateful.

Regarding posting a photo, my email provider is a UK firm called Demon, and I normally just attach the image to the email message. This successfully uploaded the image to Nabble but the text that I’d written below started with just a word or two to the side of the image.

I also tried uploading an image from my iPhone, just by choosing the email option straight from the phone (which creates a message in the phone’s Mail app), but this time the image didn’t appear at all. No worries if this isn’t possible, but it would be great to be able to upload a pic and a few words so simply, so I just thought I’d mention it in case there is a way.

Regards

Roland



On 3 Sep 2012, at 05:09, "Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]"<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
Please see Options -> Members -> Change Permissions. There you can change the permissions for all type of users. You can unmark "Create_topic" and "Reply" for all type of users.
Let me know if you want to remove the "New post" link too, so I will have to edit your NAML code.
iMotorcycle wrote
 I tried to make a post including a photo via email, but the photo didn't appear in the site in the normal way
Which email provider do you use? In gmail you have to click "Insert Image" when you are writing the message.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://support.nabble.com/Possible-to-hide-New-posts-etc-tp7581204p7581210.html
To unsubscribe from Possible to hide "New posts" etc?, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Possible to hide "New posts" etc?

Pedro
iMotorcycle wrote
I would like to remove the New Post option if possible please because I’d like to use the Nabble feeds as ’news blogs’ on a web site I’m working on in Adobe Muse, so if you could let me know how to remove this too, please, I’d be very grateful.
See Options -> Members -> Change Permissions. There you can change the permissions for all type of users. See the rows "Create_topic" and "Reply", change the select box from "default" to "modified", then keep only the "Administrators" column marked.  Test it and let me know if it is enough for you.
iMotorcycle wrote
Regarding posting a photo, my email provider is a UK firm called Demon, and I normally just attach the image to the email message. This successfully uploaded the image to Nabble but the text that I’d written below started with just a word or two to the side of the image.
Please, check if besides this option of attach a file, you have the option to insert an image. In gmail we have both.
I also tried uploading an image from my iPhone, just by choosing the email option straight from the phone (which creates a message in the phone’s Mail app), but this time the image didn’t appear at all. No worries if this isn’t possible, but it would be great to be able to upload a pic and a few words so simply, so I just thought I’d mention it in case there is a way.
I'll check it.
My test forum.