Options in a Mail List

GregChapman
Hi Pedro,

I've just created my first Nabble Mail List:
http://aivuk-members-mail-list.33396.n7.nabble.com/

Everything worked as I expected (For the first time I saw the various "Adult only options" and guidance messages about embedding a forum) - and then I embedded the "forum" in a web site.

When I view the embedded mail list and am logged in as  the administrator the only item I see on the Options menu is "Subscribe via email".

Is that what I should expect?
Can I only do administrative tasks when operating in the non-embedded environment?

Re: Options in a Mail List

Pedro
Where is this list embedded?

Re: Options in a Mail List

GregChapman
It seems I was premature!

At the time I wrote I was still testing the forum, embedded only in a local file on my computer.

Now I have uploaded that file to give you the URL it is working as expected.

Re: Options in a Mail List

GregChapman
Perhaps not quite an "Options in a Mail List" but related...

The most recent messages report that the size limit for images uploaded to Nabble  is 1Mb for images and 5Mb for files. I assume these limits still apply. On the forum I know you receive warnings of failure on upload. However...

What warnings are given to those emailing a mail list with images and files above those limits?

What appears in the archive and what notifications are given (if any) to forum users that a message may lack images of attachments?

Re: Options in a Mail List

Pedro
I will check for you.

Re: Options in a Mail List

Which is your mail list server?

Re: Options in a Mail List

GregChapman
Nabble!

The "mail list" is just a Nabble sub-forum that I will encourage my clients (members of a professional association) to use exclusively for email contributions. (Most will use top-posting that can make short replies difficult to find amongst all that fully quoted text in replies, so I want to keep emailed contributions away from the areas that will hold the material intended for longer term storage and reference.)

My question is really:

Does Nabble have a system that generates a reply saying something along the lines of "Your email has not been accepted by the mail list as it has a large attachment. Please keep inline images to less than 1Mb and attached files less than 5Mb." and, if not, what does happen when large files arrive as attachments to emails?  Are they stored regardless of size when submitted by email?

Currently, I have set up the forum as "Mixed" and created the "List" sub-forum in the expectation that I will create another "Files" sub-forum that will act as the archive of files submitted by email. I plan to train some of the users to determine which email attachments deserve archiving and create new topics in the "Files" area for them that will contain links to the "Nabble links" of the attached files in the List area. Users will only need to visit the forum if they have lost their copy of a file or if it was distributed before they joined the mail list. New members may also want to research old correspondence.

Re: Options in a Mail List

Pedro
I made some tests. It seems that there is no warnings. When you send an image that is larger than the limit it doesn't go to the Nabble application.

Re: Options in a Mail List

GregChapman
I feared that!

Is there any chance of adding an automated message to be sent to the sender in those circumstances, suggesting alternative approaches, such as reducing the size of an image and resending or uploading a file to somewhere like a Googledrive or Dropbox account and pasting the link?

Re: Options in a Mail List

Pedro
We are working on it.
My test forum.