New button: Subheader

Jim Westergren

When writing in the blog or forum app I normally use subheaders but that is not working so well in Nabble.

Example:

---

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent arcu magna, dictum non porta eu, pellentesque ut velit. Praesent consequat sapien at nisi ultrices eu consequat augue fringilla.

Here comes a subheader

Phasellus iaculis ornare felis a mollis. Phasellus tempor mauris ac diam vulputate bibendum. Nullam dolor elit, tincidunt id blandit vel, faucibus eu metus.

---

In the above example I am using the bold button. I would like a subheader button which would produce this result:

---

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent arcu magna, dictum non porta eu, pellentesque ut velit. Praesent consequat sapien at nisi ultrices eu consequat augue fringilla.

Here comes a subheader

Phasellus iaculis ornare felis a mollis. Phasellus tempor mauris ac diam vulputate bibendum. Nullam dolor elit, tincidunt id blandit vel, faucibus eu metus.

---

Note the use of the h2 element with a margin-bottom:-10px for good SEO, usability and readability. If it is possible the button could be skipped (less clutter) and instead some regex with preg_replace being used that automatically replaced bold on a single line sourrounded by line breaks into the above h2 instead.

Owner of the free website service N.nu

Re: New button: Subheader

Hugo <Nabble>
We are discussing this internally. I think it makes a lot of sense, but I am afraid the regex replace would break the look of old posts (where a subheader is not appropriate). But maybe we should try that and see what happens (since the regex is very specific). If people complain, then we would remove the regex replace and add a "subheader" button. I will let you know our decision. Thanks.

Re: New button: Subheader

GregChapman
Am I missing the point? Does this require a lot carefully applied regex to alter existing messages?

Surely, this is just a restatement of the request for an alternative rich text editor or as a minimum, a button that allows you to add

-

 tags to new messages combined with a bit of extra default CSS to apply to such headings?

Re: New button: Subheader

Hugo <Nabble>
Indeed, we have decided that we will not apply the regex replace because bold should always mean bold and we shouldn't try to fix that. Users always had the HTML format option, so they should have used such option if they wanted some h2...h6 tags. What we are going to do is to allow those tags in TEXT mode and add a button to the toolbar.

Re: New button: Subheader

GregChapman
It appears that the roll out of this feature into the "Tips" button may be causing problems.

I promised to bring the Free Support thread Recent Nabble Update has deleted all text that is inside < and > (triangle brackets). Can we undo this change? to your attention here as there does appear to be some unwelcome side effects from the change.

Re: New button: Subheader

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I have created a ticket in our internal forum to handle this issue. The other developer (Franklin) should discuss the problem in that thread soon.