Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Hello,

Very annoying problem in my Nabble application (that is an Archive a Mailing List). As said in the subject, Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user. Because of that, all messages sent by the second user display the mail of the first as the name of the sender.

This problem appears after Pedro has imported a mbox file containing the old messages from our mailing list hosted at Yahoo groups.

This problem appeared for the following reasons :
Starting from May 9, 2014, Yahoo has adopted the DMARC policy. Following that, the "From" header doesn't contain anymore the name followed by the email of the original sender, but is composed by the sender's name and email + the name of the list followed by the yahoo list email into braquets.
(Ex.: "John Smith johnsmith@domain.com [list-name]" <list@yahoogroups.com>)
During the process of the import, Nabble has associated the "name" (= composed name) found in the last message sent by yahoo list with this list email.
(In my example, "John Smith johnsmith@domain.com [list-name]" was associated with <list@yahoogroups.com>)

I understand it's difficult for Nabble to avoid this. But this side effect is very annoying because, now, this email is shown to everybody and for many old messages and for all new messages coming from the list !

I think a simple solution could be to change the "name" associated to this <yahoo list email>. It could be the nabble archive title or something like this. However, I cannot do that myself because the administrator cannot change the name of another user, only the user himself. But as there is no real user behind the yahoo list email, nobody can register/login with this identity.

Could someone at the nabble team do that for me, please ?
Or is there a better solution ?

Thank you.

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

Pedro
Do the new messages sent to your list still have this problem?

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Yes, all new messages ! Tried still now. :'(

le 8/07/14 19:08, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support]
<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Do the new messages sent to your list still have this problem?
>

> -----
> My test forum .
> another user, visit
> ode=7590609&code=cGVnYXNlQHBlZ2FzZS1hc2JsLmJlfDc1OTA2MDl8NTA0NDUwOTMy

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Hello Pedro,

Do you have a solution for me ?
Can you change the name of that special user or is it needed to change the mbox file and import it again ?

If I change that name it would be solved?

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Unless you see another solution, I think it's an acceptable solution without
too many work.
A good name could be "From Forum Yahoo".

A better solution would be to change the author of all this messages in
order to be able to manage these mails appropriately, assigning a real user.
If you go this way, You could set this name and email :
    Pégase <[hidden email]>

Thank you.

I've done the quickest solution as you suggested. Nevertheless, I'm still thinking in a better solution.

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Thank you for the change. That's really better.

But I had not realized that, in the list view as in topic view, we are now
seeing the messages and author as :
    "Message title by From Forum Yahoo"

The "by From..." is not very nice.

Could I ask you to change once again the name of this user and replace "From
Forum Yahoo" with "Forum Yahoo" only ?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Pedro,

Help ! This problem is not solved :
Now that someone has sent a new post at the yahoo mailing list, in our Nabble mailing list archive, the name associated to the yahoo list email has change again to his name and email !
I've sent myself another post this morning and now the name associated to the yahoo list email has changed to my name and email !

After that, I've decided it's time to stop to play with Yahoo mailing list and have moved to another mailing list in order to avoid this DMARC policy problem from Yahoo groups. Unfortunately, in our Nabble mailing list archive, the name associated to the yahoo list email stay to my name + my email.

Can I ask you again to change the name of this particular user (yahoo list email) to the name "Forum Yahoo". As we have left the yahoo mailing list (yahoo groups), this problem will go away forever (I hope).

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Not having anymore answer from Pedro :-( , I made many attempts in order to find a solution to this problem.
Fortunately, finally, Nabble seems to have miraculously assigned a more generic name (my application name) to the yahoo list email, removing the name and email previously set to this email.

Ouf ! I hope this name doesn't change anymore now.

P.S. I'm very disappointed that the Nabble support doesn't help me more on this.

Please, give me your forum url again, I couldn't find it here in our forum. And let me know if you want to have that name changed.

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Hi Pedro,
For now, this "user" has taken as name the title of my application. I think that can be left as it is.

P.S. It would be really a good feature if an administrator can access all these settings (name, reset password, email address).

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

Pedro
Ok, I will work on this feature.

Hi Pedro,
For now, this "user" has taken as name the title of my application. I think that can be left as it is.

P.S. It would be really a good feature if an administrator can access all these settings (name, reset password, email address).

http://support.nabble.com/Nabble-display-the-email-of-one-user-as-the-name-of-another-user-tp7590609p7590667.html
To start a new topic under Nabble Support, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Nabble Support, click here.
NAML

--
Pedro Alberto Bento Gomes

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
Oooh. Glad to hear this !
:-)

Le 14 juil. 2014 à 20:32, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] a écrit :

> Ok, I will work on this feature.

> P.S. It would be really a good feature if an administrator can access all these settings (name, reset password, email address).

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

Marc Martin
This post was updated on .
I think my listserv mirror has a similar problem.

The listserv I'm using has worked around the yahoo DMARC problem by making all emails from yahoo  appear that they are coming from "nobody@simplelists.com".   However, the Nabble archive thinks that "nobody@simplelists.com" is an actual person, and has given them a name.  Unfortunately, this name only corresponds to one person on the group, and not the other yahoo email users.

See here:

  http://seattlesmartmeterforum.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=user_nodes&user=16

Ideally, the name assigned to nobody@simplelists.com, "F Smith (via sm list)" would be changed to something generic, for example "Yahoo Email User".  However, I see no way that I can make that change.

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
It would be very more suitable that a list administrator can modify the name
and other personal data of some registered user. I think it's a basic
feature Nabble should have. We could than deal with this kind of situation
and help our members in some other situation.

For this specific problem, in my application, Nabble has now associated to
this particular user the name of the application. I've made many attempts
myself and I don't know what specific setting has caused this. I think it
could be the Mailing List Archive Setting (Options > Application > Mailing
List Archive Setting). My application is indeed a Mailing List Archive.
I have there :
    Mailing List Address : [hidden email]
    List Server : Yahoo! Group
When some mail was sent, suddenly the name has changed to the name of the
application.

Hope this can help you.

We have made the feature that allows admins to modify user data. It may be released today in all servers, so that you can test it.

Wonderful. Thank you.

Please, give your forum's url. I don't have it saved here.

Re: Nabble display the email of one user as the name of another user

François Van Lerberghe
As it's a private archive mailing list, I send it to your personal mail
address.
Note that I've tested the feature that allows admins to modify user data.
This seems to work like a charm. Thank you.

12