I've created a mail loop

dlang
I created a test forum to play with (dlang-test) and then i edited the mailing list options.

since it wouldn't let me leave the mailing list address blank, I pasted in the e-mail address that I received messages from the list from.

this turns out to be a mistake as this is causing nabble to forward the messages to that list and is creating a loop of messages.

but since I don't have another address to send it to, and I can't leave it blank, I don't know how to fix it?

I'm going to test setting it to a bogus address and see what happens, but what should I have done?

Re: I've created a mail loop

Hugo <Nabble>
You should be able to stop the loop by setting a different email address (maybe an old address that you own). If you still have problems, please post the link to the app and I will fix it. Soon we will add a button to that mailing list settings interface to delete the current configuration.

Re: I've created a mail loop

dlang
I did that for now, but it gives a big warning about sending the message
to the list.

this will work for now (I'm just doing testing so it really doesn't matter
much how badly I mess things up)

David Lang

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] wrote:

> You should be able to stop the loop by setting a different email address
> (maybe an old address that you own). If you still have problems, please post
> the link to the app and I will fix it. Soon we will add a button to that
> mailing list settings interface to delete the current configuration.

Re: I've created a mail loop

dlang
the link to the list is http://dlang-test.1051270.n5.nabble.com/ if you get a chance to clear that

is there any way to set a subject prefix ( i.e. [listname] ) without connecting to an external list server?

David Lang

Re: I've created a mail loop

Hugo <Nabble>
dlang wrote
the link to the list is http://dlang-test.1051270.n5.nabble.com/ if you get a chance to clear that
Do you want me to delete that mailing list configuration? Please confirm.
dlang wrote
is there any way to set a subject prefix ( i.e. [listname] ) without connecting to an external list server?
No. But do you want to force a prefix in all subjects? The feature we have removes the prefix from the imported messages so that the archive can look cleaner.

Re: I've created a mail loop

dlang
On Thu, 19 May 2011, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] wrote:

> dlang wrote:
>>
>> the link to the list is http://dlang-test.1051270.n5.nabble.com/ if you
>> get a chance to clear that
>>
> Do you want me to delete that mailing list configuration? Please confirm.

yes please. it turns out that there are other things that don't work right
with it just set to a dummy address.

> dlang wrote:
>>
>> is there any way to set a subject prefix ( i.e. [listname] ) without
>> connecting to an external list server?
>>
> No. But do you want to force a prefix in all subjects? The feature we have
> removes the prefix from the imported messages so that the archive can look
> cleaner.

I want to force a prefix on all outbound e-mail, even if the person
subscribes through nabble.

by the way, I'm not seeing an obvious guide to using this, am I missing
something?

David Lang

Re: I've created a mail loop

Hugo <Nabble>
dlang wrote
yes please. it turns out that there are other things that don't work right
with it just set to a dummy address.
I removed that mailing list archive configuration. Feel free to put it back if you want to.
dlang wrote
I want to force a prefix on all outbound e-mail, even if the person
subscribes through nabble.
You will be able to change this when we release the templates feature. At this point, the "from" name in outbound emails have a suffix like "[via Nabble Support]" to let users create filters in their email client apps.
dlang wrote
by the way, I'm not seeing an obvious guide to using this, am I missing
something?
We don't have an up-to-date guide on how to use the website. We try really hard to create features as intuitive as possible and avoid the need of tutorials and guides. Users can look for answers in this support forum.

Re: I've created a mail loop

dlang
On Thu, 19 May 2011, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] wrote:

> dlang wrote:
>>
>> yes please. it turns out that there are other things that don't work right
>> with it just set to a dummy address.
>>
> I removed that mailing list archive configuration. Feel free to put it back
> if you want to.

not until I have a real mailing list setup :-)

> dlang wrote:
>>
>> I want to force a prefix on all outbound e-mail, even if the person
>> subscribes through nabble.
>>
> You will be able to change this when we release the templates feature. At
> this point, the "from" name in outbound emails have a suffix like "[via
> Nabble Support]" to let users create filters in their email client apps.

what is the ETA for templates?

> dlang wrote:
>>
>> by the way, I'm not seeing an obvious guide to using this, am I missing
>> something?
>>
> We don't have an up-to-date guide on how to use the website. We try really
> hard to create features as intuitive as possible and avoid the need of
> tutorials and guides. Users can look for answers in this support forum.

Ok, in that case I won't feel as guilty about asking when I can't figure
something out :-)

David Lang

Re: I've created a mail loop

Hugo <Nabble>
dlang wrote
what is the ETA for templates?
The idea was to release templates this month, but we are busy upgrading our servers. This is a very important upgrade because we will create hot standby databases that can survive a disaster without data loss. So I assume templates will be available in two or three weeks.