How to change others' usernames?

Graham F.
I am the proud owner of a Nabble forum, but I have a small problem. I require that people use their names as their usernames when they sign up, but some people have neglected to do this. I own the forum, but I can't find a way to manually change their usernames. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks,
Graham

(I like smileys, in case you hadn't noticed.)

Re: How to change others' usernames?

GregChapman
Graham F. wrote
I require that people use their names as their usernames when they sign up,
I can't find a way to manually change their usernames.
That's because there isn't one. A Username is in the exclusive control of the user.

The best you can do is tighten permissions further. Stop "Registered" users posting and allow only "Members" to post. Then you can refuse to grant your users Member status unless they have an acceptable username.

I do something similar on one of my forums. I accept what ever username someone registers but refuse to grant "Member" status until they have posted a message in an "Introduce Yourself" sub-forum with their Real Name as the subject line.  The "Introduce Yourself" sub-forum is the only one a registered user may create a new topic in - and even there they may not reply.

Of course it doesn't stop a dozen different people claiming to be "John Smith". And what about when you have two genuine John Smiths signing up for your forum? And how do you check that they are using genuine real names?

I sometimes wonder whether I am putting off very genuine people from participating as I find a large number of older Internet users are paranoid about posting their real name on the web.

Re: How to change others' usernames?

Graham F.
Thanks a bunch, Greg. I think that the internet has evolved to a point where using your name is virtually required. Anyways, I appreciate your taking time to help out. Also if any Nabble staff happens to read this, please consider adding such a feature.

Thanks all,
Graham

Re: How to change others' usernames?

Pedro
The key thing is the email, so, unfortunatly they can use any names as they want.
But Greg suggested a good idea, you can manipulate their groups by their emails to know exactaly who is "trustable".

Re: How to change others' usernames?

HEYPIKACHU
It should be possible for the forum owner to change the usernames of any participant, as there are people who create offensive usernames.

Re: How to change others' usernames?

GregChapman
You've replied to a very old topic. These days you do this:

1. Login as Administrator
2. Open a post by the user
3. Click on the user's username.
4. Click on Edit Profile