About no scroll-bar

ajac63
Just discovered that there's no scroll-bar after a forum is embedded, which presents obvious problems for larger posts.

Re: About no scroll-bar

GregChapman
I have encountered that bug from time to time - quite rarely. I have never determined exactly how to replicate it, so don't recall ever reporting it.

However, a refresh of some kind has always solved the issue. I can't remember whether that was refreshing the page in which the forum is embedded or using the forum's own refresh option.

Re: About no scroll-bar

ajac63
This post was updated on .
Thanks again.  Refreshing the page that the forum is embedded in sometimes works but not always.  As to using the forum refresh option, this does not show at topic level; there's no refresh link/button.  I've also contacted the web-editor people about this issue, so I'll find out what they've said next.

Right, they've suggested to me that there might be some forum setting that's causing the issue, well I can't find what it could be...  Anyway, this is what's in the code-container/box so far:

<script type="text/javascript"> nabble_width = "1470px"; nabble_scroll_top = true; nabble_ignore_title = true; </script>talk-IT forum
<script src="http://talk-it.549.s1.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>

Is there any additional style or something that I should be adding that might solve this problem?  Otherwise I can't really proceed 'going live' with the forum which is a bit of a downer, as I was 'this far' from doing the final finishing touches.

Re: About no scroll-bar

ajac63
Ok, so what do I do now?

Re: About no scroll-bar

ajac63 wrote
Thanks again.  Refreshing the page that the forum is embedded in sometimes works but not always.
For me it always did when I remembered the right option - or that's how I remember it. As I say, for me it was rare enough not to be a worry and always seemed to work after a second attempt.
As to using the forum refresh option, this does not show at topic level; there's no refresh link/button.  I've also contacted the web-editor people about this issue, so I'll find out what they've said next.
The only time I do not see the Refresh link is when the forum is not embedded. It is possible to break out of embedding if you have the Embedding Option set to " Allow users to view this forum without embedding." I am sometimes forced to do this in order to see the full "Change Permissions" table. (On that forum I have around 20 User Groups) and it is embedded in a site with a fixed 960px width.

Worst case scenario might be to allow jumping out of embedding.

Right, they've suggested to me that there might be some forum setting that's causing the issue, well I can't find what it could be...
Again, I have to say I have no solution and know of no setting to fix this. I wonder if the Refresh option is failing for you because of browser cacheing. I know that sometimes simply hitting the Refresh toolbar button or F5 only re-fetches the cached page, and I need to hold CTRL as well for it to work. There are some reports on the forum suggesting particular problems with Safari. Gary has had certain problems with Chrome that do not occur in Firefox. It remains a mystery for me.

Anyway, this is what's in the code-container/box so far:

<script type="text/javascript"> nabble_width = "1470px"; nabble_scroll_top = true; nabble_ignore_title = true; </script>talk-IT forum
<script src="http://talk-it.549.s1.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>
Nothing in that jumps out at me as faulty.

Is there any additional style or something that I should be adding that might solve this problem?  Otherwise I can't really proceed 'going live' with the forum which is a bit of a downer, as I was 'this far' from doing the final finishing touches.
I'm afraid I remain as foxed by this as you.

Re: About no scroll-bar

ajac63
Thanks again, really appreciated.  I think I've discovered what was causing the problem, which is that whenever a change is made to the forum, the embedding code changes.  So, if you don't update the code-box of the html page that you want the forum embedded in, that page won't show the changes and so content will be cropped.  So the solution was to simply edit/update the embedding code in the target web page - and this works!  I just tested it on my local disk/system.

Problem I see with this though, is that I won't possibly know whenever a change is made to the forum, such as a member making a new post.  I would constantly have to edit the embedding code, which of course would be impossible.

Re: About no scroll-bar

GregChapman
If by "a change is made to the forum" you mean a post is added then I'd say you'd got it wrong.

However, the embedding code will change if you do something such as change the domain name or get Nabble to implement https.

Can't say I've ever managed to link the bug to a change in embedding code, but a change in embedding code is a pretty rare occurrence and the pagination bug has only occurred rarely for me, so maybe you have found the cause.

Re: About no scroll-bar

ajac63
This post was updated on .
Making a few initial admin posts was precisely the changes I made to the forum.

When I next tested the web page/site that the forum is embedded in (currently offline...), that's when I realised that some of the forum content was cropped or not showing.

Racking my brain as to how to solve this mystery, I then thought of re-pasting the embed code into the index page.  So, I then ran the web-editor that I use and re-pasted the embed code into the code-box/container.

That's when I noticed a difference between the original embedded code and the replacement one.  I then removed the original and just kept the replacement and then simply resaved the page and then re-published to my local disk/machine.

I then went into the correct folder and ran the index html file, and the problem was solved.  No content in any part of the forum was cropped or not showing.  I'm next going to create some further admin posts and then see if the same problem occurs again, that is without editing the embed code.
------
Right, turns out the fault was not with either the embedded forum settings nor with my web-editor, but because Opera hadn't cleared some cookies and cache settings.

So I went in and out of the twilight zone during the last few days due to a browser glitch! How annoying is that!

Re: About no scroll-bar

GregChapman wrote
If by "a change is made to the forum" you mean a post is added then I'd say you'd got it wrong.
To clarify, when I wrote that I meant adding posts to a forum will not alter the embedding code.

Re: About no scroll-bar

Glad you seem to have it fixed.

Now I'm annoyed with myself!

I should have thought about the cookie possibility.

I've only ever tried Opera on my phone and don't know how that reacts with Nabble.

There's a trick I discovered that seems to fix a number of data retention and cashing issues on all Android mobile browsers

Switch to Desktop mode to reload a page and then revert to Mobile mode.  That seems to have the effect of re-initialising the loading of a page.

Re: About no scroll-bar

ajac63
Aha, then sorry for my confusion, but the embedding code was different.  How this happened I don't know.