What user permissions & application type

What user permissions & application type

trebso
Hi

I want the home page to have several subforums, probably "Mixed" type - so that everyone can see the topics.

I want most subforums to be visible to anyone but only members can post and reply - I get how to do that.

I want one subforum to be visible on the home page, just like the others, but when either the subforum or a topic is clicked, I want anyone to only see the TOPIC HEADINGS (subject line?), not the actual body of the topics.

The reason:
- I want visitors to see that there's lots of interesting discussion going on, but
- I want members to be able to share private information with each other, in the body of the topics, without worrying that non-members can see it.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Re: What user permissions & application type

GregChapman
trebso wrote
I want the home page to have several subforums, probably "Mixed" type - so that everyone can see the topics.

I want most subforums to be visible to anyone but only members can post and reply - I get how to do that.
You missed the first line of the post at:
http://support.nabble.com/Moderating-free-forum-tp6873076p6873871.html
which said:
You need to go to OPTIONS > USERS > CHANGE PERMISSIONS.
I want one subforum to be visible on the home page, just like the others, but when either the subforum or a topic is clicked, I want anyone to only see the TOPIC HEADINGS (subject line?), not the actual body of the topics.
As you have worked out, that is achieved by using the "Mixed" application. However, you will find that all the sub-forums, not just, one, will reveal a list of up to six (by default) topics with an option to "View more" when that number of topics is exceeded.
The reason:
- I want visitors to see that there's lots of interesting discussion going on, but
- I want members to be able to share private information with each other, in the body of the topics, without worrying that non-members can see it.

Is this possible?
I strongly recommend that you play extensively with a forum, creating a number of sub-forums and populating all levels with posts. both using your original "Administrator" user, and a second user (necessarily having a different email address). You can then check that your forum behaves correctly for both "Registered" users and those in the "Member" group.

Registered users will have permission to view and post to the forum by default. Change their permissions so they cannot post. Go to a sub-forum and open the "Change Permissions" screen again. By default a sub-forum inherits the permissions of its parent. Change the permissions so that registered users may not view the sub-forum. Repeat this process for every sub-forum that a registered user should not be able to view.

I suspect you want something similar to my forum at:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/forum.htm
This has a "Mixed" top level with multiple levels of sub-forum, most of which are "Forum" applications. Some are "Gallery" or "Category" applications. Most of the sub-forums do not allow either anyone or registered users to post. There are some sub-forums that are completely invisible except to Administrators, such as a forum for "Moderated Posts", where I move inappropriate or obsolete posts. I never delete material as I never know if I may want to restore a post (or keep it as evidence of exactly what was said).

You'll also notice how I include guidance notes on the forums use in the description area of each sub-forum, and I include a number of FAQ in a special section, to make things easier for new users.)

Re: What user permissions & application type

trebso
Thanks so much; I really appreciate your help and patience!

Your Seahawk forum is really helpful as an example of structure and workflow.

All the best