Moderating free forum

amitsarvaiye
Hello. I just plan to use your free forum for our website. Is there an option for moderating posts...approve or disapprove any post?? Is there any way of creating sub-forums in your free forum??
Also can there be customization of the free forum?
Thanks a lot.

Re: Moderating free forum

GregChapman
amitsarvaiye wrote
Hello. I just plan to use your free forum for our website. Is there an option for moderating posts...approve or disapprove any post??
No!

Nabble does not operate like a mail list. It operates as a forum. You approve (and trust) users not individual posts.

Bear in mind that a mail list has a single level. Anyone can join, using any mail address, even a false one, and post. Hence the need to moderate individual posts.

On a forum a user must provide a valid email address when they register, so it is more secure and the user easier to trace. This is why registration to is used to allow people to post and as they become trusted, you then grant them permission to post at ever deeper levels. Hence moderation of individual posts should never be necessary.

Is there any way of creating sub-forums in your free forum?
Yes! Login as an administrator and select OPTIONS > STRUCTURE > CREATE SUB-FORUM (Create as many levels as you wish!)

Also can there be customization of the free forum?
Yes! There's a huge range available, affecting the nature of the Nabble application, general layout, considerable customisation using CSS, and more! (and shortly, through NAML, Nabble's own markup language, even more control of appearance.

Re: Moderating free forum

Peter <Nabble>
Great answer Greg. Just complementing, through NAML there will be possible not only to change appearance but to implement new features also.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: Moderating free forum

amitsarvaiye
Thanks!!!
But how can I approve users???...sorry, but as I am a newbie I am pretty much unfamiliar with the usage.

Re: Moderating free forum

You need to go to OPTIONS > USERS > CHANGE PERMISSIONS.

By default, Nabble allows anyone to see (View) your forum post new messages (Create_topic) and reply (Reply) to existing messages. They don't even need to register! Hence "Anyone" has these permissions by default.

As it is convention for forums to require registration before posting, Nabble also provides a higher class of user called "Registered". By default the only additional permission that class has is to see the list of registered users. However, the expectation is that you would remove the permission of "Anyone" (i.e. the general public) to post and reply and add those permissions to the "Registered" group. Some forums would not even allow the public to view the contents of the forum, hence the "View" permission might be removed from "Anyone" as well. In such cases anyone visiting the forum's URL would be met with a Login screen.

Registering is the only automated change of status. It occurs when a user clicks on the link in the email they receive after following the Register link and supplying an email address. (You can get an email notifying you of new registrations via OPTIONS > APPLICATION > EXTRAS & ADD-ONS > EMAIL & NOTIFICATIONS.) All other changes in Group membership require an administrator to make the change. Apart from the four default Groups "Anyone", "Registered" "Administrator" and "Member" you may add any others that you wish and set permissions as required.

Many forums will offer additional benefits to those who pay a fee or contribute in some other way to the community. Typically, such a status would allow them to see and post in additional areas (sub-forums in Nabble jargon) which may not even be visible to the public or registered users. Nabble allows for this with its predefined group called "Members". As with the Registered group, by default this only has one additional permission, to see members.

If you wish to implement such a two tier membership, first you need to create a sub-forum and set member permissions for that sub-forum to remove the ability of those in the "Anyone" or "Registered" group to view (possibly!), post or reply from it, while adding those permissions to the "Members" group. In this Support forum, it is done in reverse. "Anyone" can view both the Premium and Free forums. "Registered" can additionally, post and reply in the Free sub-forum, but only "Members" can post and reply in the Premium forum.

Note how, at the top-level forum, you can either keep the "Default" permission for any setting or change it to a "Custom" value, but for a sub-forum, the default is to "Inherit" its settings from its parent forum, although, as with the top level forum, you can set a "Custom" value for any setting.

In summary, you might want to think of it as designed to enable you to create a system where:

Anyone = The General Public
Registered = Those who have supplied a valid email address
Members = Registered users with Added Benefits

However, Nabble is entirely flexible. On some of my forums I have such groups as "Sellers" (for those I permit to post in a single "For Sale" sub-forum, but I don't wish to spam everywhere), "Moderators" (for colleagues who can move messages to a sub-forum hidden to other users while we decide how to handle suspect messages) and "Invites" (For filling with addresses of those members of the mail list software used previously - effectively pre-approving them). With these groups I create a special set of permissions that distinguish them from both registered and any awarded additional member privileges.

Re: Moderating free forum

mywaytoo
Another one... I knew this was vital for more people than just me...
Anne

Re: Moderating free forum

GregChapman
It's an update/rewrite of something I posted to "Camo" a few months back. (It used to go on about "Authenticated" users. Remember them!  )

Re: Moderating free forum

samson
Hi, thank you for your answer,

I'm not sure this what i want to do.
What i want is to disable people (registerder or unregistered) to post topic on the main page, but once they click on one of my sub forum ( LOGIC, AFTER EFFECT OR FINAL CUT) i want them to be allowed to post what they want.
I have read your post, but i'm scared i don t understand everything. My english is not the best...

thank you.

Re: Moderating free forum

samson
When i go to my forum, " bienvenue sur le forum mac tuto.com" i have three sub forum but instead of having some "topics"
posted in those sub forum i have some "answers" (REPONSE in french).
maybe i have made a wrong settings at first.

I hope my explanation or not confusing.

thanks for your help.

Re: Moderating free forum

GregChapman