Users, Groups and Permissions

Posted by Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>
IMPORTANT: If you use permissions, you will have to set them up again.  The old members and administrators were converted to temporary groups and the old permissions were not converted at all.  So you should reorganize your groups and then set permissions in your app (e.g., forum, blog, gallery).

Nabble has improved how users, groups and permissions work. Here is a summary:

(1) Now you can create as many user groups as you want. All apps come with four default groups:

    Anyone: All users belong to this group, including unregistered users.
    Authenticated: Users whose email is available in the database. Basically, registered users and people who posted to mailing lists (archives only).
    Members: Default group. You should define the permissions for this group.
    Administrators: Users with special privileges that can control your application.

(2) For each user, you can select which groups he/she participates. This option is available in the user profile page:

(3) You can organize groups and users by clicking on "Options > Users > Manage users & groups". Each group has a textarea with users and you can add and remove them according to your goals. To remove a group, just remove all users from it and save the changes ("members" and "administrators" are fixed groups and thus cannot be removed).

(4) You can configure what each group can do by clicking on "Options > Users > Change permissions". You can override these settings in subcategories (e.g., sub-forums).

87 Comments

Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Please post the link to your app and I will take a look.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

administrator can not assign to members of a workgroup

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
the assignment option should be there if you belong to a group that can be assigned topics, right?
The problem might be the wording of the option … be assigned …

As administrator I expect permission to assign to people in the four old groups.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

Re: columns, left to right: visualising implicit relationships between groups

Graham Perrin wrote
OK, this will probably make more sense to me after I visualise the grey ticks in check boxes …
Without the greying in of things, it's easy to be confused.

Example: I was on the verge of posting a new question —

Why is the administrator prevented from something as basic as posting (Create_topic)?

That default, and some others, seem very peculiar.
— then realised that I was focusing on the wrong column:

Put simply: what's shown in the column for Administrators is a false reflection of what applies to administrators.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

Suggestion: remain on the permissions page after saving permissions

For the benefit of any administrator who knowingly or unknowingly misunderstands any part of the permissions page, I suggest a more friendly default:

* after saving a change to permissions, do not force the administrator away from that page.
Simon Large Simon Large

Re: columns, left to right: visualising implicit relationships between groups

Why is that a false reflection? The 'Create posts' row is unchecked so you have no permission to do that.

The only curiosity seems to be that admins do not get all permissions by default.
Admin Goliath Admin Goliath

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

The Link is:

http://jack-klugman-forum.958780.n3.nabble.com/

The last two subcategories are "missing".  If I change the VIEW of the subcategorie (Moderatoren-Thread, Hausboot) to this group...... I can't see this subcategorie anymore. But in my profile I'm member of this group. I can see it only, when I change it to: VIEW ANYONE.
Re-run Re-run

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
You must login as the owner of the forum (the account that shows at the bottom of the front page). You may post a link to your forum and I will take a look.
Ahh see therein lies the problem. I was not the creator. Back in March I think, I got admin rights. The creator never responded to any emails of mine and never visits the site. So I took it over.
This is the site: http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/
Harvey Harvey

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
I see Owners changed to Authors is now added on the CHANGE PERMISSIONS page. But the Authors groups does not show on the MANAGE USERS AND GROUPS page.  When I tried to add an AUTHORS Group I ended up with two groups named Authors on the PERMISSIONS page.
Yes, we renamed "Owners" to "Authors" to make things more intuitive. Note that this group is not a real group of users where you can add/remove people to/from. This group represents the authors of posts in your application. For example, if you select that "Authors" can view, then users will be able to view their own posts (even if you mark the forum as private by disabling "Anyone" and "Authenticated" for that "Can_view" row).
I do you still have to make the author an admin to change the date of a post? It seems so.

Is there a way to back date a post when the author first enters it?

We are loading multiple old stories into our newspaper and we want them to have the original date. The primary author isn't an admin and it's not super convenient:

Ask him to sign out.

Sign in as me.

Make him an admin.

Sign out as me.

Sign in as him.

Change the date.

Sign out as him.

Sign in as me.

Remove his admin status.
HTTPS Please!
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

The problem is that the front page of your forum shows the first topics of each subcategory. Since those missing subcategories are private, we have to hide them from the homepage so that other users don't see their private topics. I know that you have access to them, so showing the topics just for you would be fine, but we have cached pages and all users must see the same page for performance reasons. If you don't care if people see just the topic subject on the front page (as long as they can't open those posts and read), you may change this logic when we release the templates feature in the future.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Hey, that's true. I remember now. I added you back to the list of administrators. Please let me know if you have other issues that I can help.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

This was a bug in the system and we fixed it. From now on, all you need to control is the "Change_post_date" permission. So if you select that authors can change the post date, then this is enough. Please let me know if you still have issues.
Re-run Re-run

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Yup all there! Thanks Hugo!
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: administrator can not assign to members of a workgroup

You must make sure you belong to at least one group that has the assignment permission checked.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: checks to the left

No, this is not a rule of thumb. This works only for the first two columns. Administrators certainly have more power than any other group. So you can ignore the order of columns and focus on the permissions.
Harvey Harvey

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
This was a bug in the system and we fixed it. From now on, all you need to control is the "Change_post_date" permission. So if you select that authors can change the post date, then this is enough. Please let me know if you still have issues.
This is not working for us.
HTTPS Please!
Harvey Harvey

Date changing in newspaper.

I am getting closer to the bottom of this!

I can change dates of things I author in the top level of the newspaper but not in the subcategories.

I think it's because while I am ADMIN of the newspaper I have not been added to any of the groups. I don't have the access to do that? How to make this happen.

PLEASE!
HTTPS Please!
Harvey Harvey

Re: checks to the left

When signed in as admin, within my subcategories in the newspaper I don't have the option to "manage users and groups" the way I can at the top level. What do I do to remedy this:

?
HTTPS Please!
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: checking a box towards the left should automatically check (in grey) boxes to the right

Graham Perrin wrote
I retract this suggestion until there's clarification under <http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Users-Groups-and-Permissions-tp5568913p5574067.html>.
I replied to that post. This is not a rule of thumb.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: checks to the left

Groups can only be managed from the root node and they apply to the whole tree structure. So you have only one group of admins, one group of members, etc. What you should override in subcategories is the permission set, so that you can tell the system what each group can do. If you want a group of administrators just for one subcategory, then you should create a group like "admins-of-subcategory" and add the right permissions to that group in that subcategory. Please let me know if you have questions, comments or concerns.
Harvey Harvey

Re: checks to the left

Hugo - this is not working for me and I can't tell if I am missing something obvious or there is a bug. I have spent a significant amount of time trying to figure this out.

I see how the permission are inherited into sub forum/categories. This makes sense. And you only go "custom" if you want to override inherited permissions from the top level. Completely logical.

The thing is I don’t have the admin powers that I should.

I can only change the dates on newspaper entries:

IF I am the author

AND

IF it is in the top level or main category.

This makes no sense.

I have EVERY box checked so that ANYONE can change dates but it doesn’t work.

I don't understand.