Users, Groups and Permissions

Posted by Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>
IMPORTANT: If you use permissions, you will have to set them up again.  The old members and administrators were converted to temporary groups and the old permissions were not converted at all.  So you should reorganize your groups and then set permissions in your app (e.g., forum, blog, gallery).

Nabble has improved how users, groups and permissions work. Here is a summary:

(1) Now you can create as many user groups as you want. All apps come with four default groups:

    Anyone: All users belong to this group, including unregistered users.
    Authenticated: Users whose email is available in the database. Basically, registered users and people who posted to mailing lists (archives only).
    Members: Default group. You should define the permissions for this group.
    Administrators: Users with special privileges that can control your application.

(2) For each user, you can select which groups he/she participates. This option is available in the user profile page:

(3) You can organize groups and users by clicking on "Options > Users > Manage users & groups". Each group has a textarea with users and you can add and remove them according to your goals. To remove a group, just remove all users from it and save the changes ("members" and "administrators" are fixed groups and thus cannot be removed).

(4) You can configure what each group can do by clicking on "Options > Users > Change permissions". You can override these settings in subcategories (e.g., sub-forums).

87 Comments

Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Harvey44 wrote
Question ... while you can check multiple boxes in the permissions checklist I would assume that checks to the left are cummulative. When you check "ANYONE" is the same as checking every box.
That's correct.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Click on "Options > Users > Manage users & groups" and make sure you have the right administrators set.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: harvesting of e-mail addresses from archives of lists

Graham Perrin wrote
It seems wrong to reveal the e-mail addresses of all posters in the management interface.
You can only see users that belong to your application. You cannot see users from other forums, blogs, galleries that you don't own. So this is how standard services work on the internet. For example, if you register to a phpBB forum, the owner of that forum will be able to see your email address. Besides that, some users have requested this feature as a way to control their business activities (e.g., users pay a fee to get access to a forum -- these users can be identified by their email addresses).
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Are administrators, and are owners, implicitly members?

Graham Perrin wrote
In other words: for owners and administrators to add and reply to topics, should I check more boxes?
Yes, you should check more boxes, unless all administrators belong to the "Members" group. So in this case you don't have to select the checkbox for administrators. It is important to remember that the "Owners" column represent the owners of the node (app or post) that is being handled. For example, if you decide that "Owners" can reply, then anyone who has a post will be able to reply to their own posts. So, we are talking about the owner of the node that will be replied to. Questions?
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Are members implicitly authenticated?

Graham Perrin wrote
Are members implicitly authenticated?
Yes. The only type of user that is not authenticated is "anonymous" (those users that post without registering). All other users are authenticated. You can't add an anonymous user to a group. So administrators, members and all your custom groups can only contain authenticated users.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Please click on "Options > Users > Manage users & groups" and add your email to that list. After that, you will have all privileges again.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: owner can not assign to members of a workgroup

I am not sure I understand the problem. If the assignment permission is inherited, then the assignment option should be there if you belong to a group that can be assigned topics, right?

Maybe you can post a screeshot of the second link.
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Harvey44 wrote
When will the red notice go away? Seems like all users can see it and are asking about it. Anyway to limit it to admins or just change to Permissions?
We are looking for a solution. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Harvey44 wrote
Is there a way to delete the old groups listed in the group window?
Yes. Remove the contents of the text area and save the changes. The idea is that groups without users shouldn't exist.
Harvey44 wrote
I was hoping that authors could change there own post dates in the newspaper without me making them an admin, but that doesn't seem to work. Am I correct?
You should select the "Owners" column for that permission. Maybe we should rename that column to "Authors" because the current title is confusing our users.
Harvey44 wrote
Also I have two applications - forum and newspaper.  If I copy and paste the entire list of authenticated users from the forum to the newspaper will they automatically registered for the newspaper with the same password? THAT would be WAY COOL! (Please say yes!).
Sorry, but no. You can see that the authenticated group is read-only. Even if you paste that list into another group (e.g., Members) those users will be created as unregistered. This is actually the meaning of "authenticated" for Nabble (the database has the email of the users, but this doesn't mean he/she is registered).
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

We removed the red link and implemented a notice that only administrators can see. Problem solved :-)
Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Hugo <Nabble> Hugo <Nabble>

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

We removed the red link and implemented a notice that only administrators can see.
Harvey Harvey

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
I was hoping that authors could change there own post dates in the newspaper without me making them an admin, but that doesn't seem to work. Am I correct?
You should select the "Owners" column for that permission. Maybe we should rename that column to "Authors" because the current title is confusing our users.
I see Owners changed to Authors is now added on the CHANGE PERMISSIONS page. But the Authors groups does not show on the MANAGE USERS AND GROUPS page.  When I tried to add an AUTHORS Group I ended up with two groups named Authors on the PERMISSIONS page.
HTTPS Please!
Fee Fee

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

Hello Hugo

I read all through your article and although I don't 'do' technical, I thought I would have a go and I did manage to get all my members back into my forum.  Everything seemed to be OK until I tried to post on another board.  My forum is split up into different boards ie Cafe which is the one we use most of the time, then other ones like Health, Entertainment, Pets etc.  I can post new threads and reply to the ones on Cafe but nowhere else.  A sign comes up that says I need to request permission from the Administrator.  I thought I was the Administrator!
I have checked the permissions on some of the boards, and I have permission to post on those boards but something is not letting me as I still get the notice.

Other than that problem do I also need to do the permissions for each individual board?  And can you tell me what is the difference between Authenticated and Members?

ETA:  I've just gone back to have a look and have found that I cannot answer previous threads (like one on Friday) on Cafe, it says the same as before, that I need to contact myself!
Re-run Re-run

Re: Users, Groups and Permissions

I can't do that. Clicking options only gives me "subscribe via email" and "post by email".
nothing more than that, I have no users or manage users and groups.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

Options menu not displaying the expected options

Re-run wrote
options only gives me "subscribe via email" and "post by email".
Please, what's the address of the forum?
Re-run Re-run

Re: Options menu not displaying the expected options

http://honda-cb750-s.456789.n3.nabble.com/
It was originally started by another person who no longer admins the site. So a few months back, Hugo gave me full admin rights on the site.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

Authenticated group, Members group

Fee wrote
what is the difference between Authenticated and Members?
In the opening post:

> Authenticated:
> Users whose email is available in the database. Basically, registered users and
> people who posted to mailing lists (archives only).

> Members: Default group. You should define the permissions for this group.

@Nabble

Maybe clearer to say registered users instead of Default group.

@Fee

If it helps:

• members are implicitly authenticated

• for a Nabble application that interfaces with a traditional mail list: people who post to the list in the traditional way are treated as authenticated without requiring a Nabble membership.

<http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Users-Groups-and-Permissions-tp5568913p5571297.html> highlights a key point re: the left-to-right arrangement of columns.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

checking a box towards the left should automatically check (in grey) boxes to the right

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Harvey44 wrote
… checks to the left are cummulative. When you check "ANYONE" is the same as checking every box.
That's correct.
Suggestion

Make the checks explicit — a user check to the left should automatically check, in grey, all boxes to the right.

Postscript

I retract this suggestion until there's clarification under <http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Users-Groups-and-Permissions-tp5568913p5574067.html>.
Graham Perrin Graham Perrin

columns, left to right: visualising implicit relationships between groups

OK, this will probably make more sense to me after I visualise the grey ticks in check boxes …
Fee Fee

Re: Authenticated group, Members group

Graham Perrin wrote
Fee wrote
what is the difference between Authenticated and Members?
In the opening post:

> Authenticated:
> Users whose email is available in the database. Basically, registered users and
> people who posted to mailing lists (archives only).

> Members: Default group. You should define the permissions for this group.

@Nabble

Maybe clearer to say registered users instead of Default group.

@Fee

If it helps:

• members are implicitly authenticated

• for a Nabble application that interfaces with a traditional mail list: people who post to the list in the traditional way are treated as authenticated without requiring a Nabble membership.

<http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/Users-Groups-and-Permissions-tp5568913p5571297.html> highlights a key point re: the left-to-right arrangement of columns.
I think I must understand tech speak more than I think I do.
Thank you, I have sorted myself out now.
12345