Restricting who can post to my blog...

integrativeawareness
I just started a blog and embedded it into a demo website http://demo-sep242014.businesscatalyst.com/untitled-16.html.  The way it is currently working...anyone can go on and create a post. I only want the admin to have this ability.  I thought I went in to the 'Change Permissions' and changed all the appropriate settings, but nothing has changed.  Please advise...

Re: Restricting who can post to my blog...

GregChapman
Unfortunately, you don't say what settings you changed, whether you saved them and whether you have confirmed that the settings you changed are still in place.

All you should have to do is clear the marks in the Anyone column and add marks to the Administrator column for the permissions Create_topic and Reply and then click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen.

Can you confirm you have done this and that the settings are in place when you revisit the Change Permissions screen.

Re: Restricting who can post to my blog...

integrativeawareness
I have the following settings:

View  - anyone
Reply - anyone

Everything else is Admin.  With that said, you mention Reply - should be Admin, but I would like other people to be able to comment on the post.

Please advise and thank you for your prompt response.

Cheers,
Sean

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:27 AM, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately, you don't say what settings you changed, whether you saved them and whether you have confirmed that the settings you changed are still in place.

All you should have to do is clear the marks in the Anyone column and add marks to the Administrator column for the permissions Create_topic and Reply and then click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the screen.

Can you confirm you have done this and that the settings are in place when you revisit the Change Permissions screen.
Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Restricting-who-can-post-to-my-blog-tp7591974p7591980.html
To unsubscribe from Restricting who can post to my blog..., click here.
NAML

[hidden email]
312.752.5049

Re: Restricting who can post to my blog...

Re: Restricting who can post to my blog...

integrativeawareness wrote
I have the following settings:

View  - anyone
Reply - anyone

Everything else is Admin.  With that said, you mention Reply - should be
Admin, but I would like other people to be able to comment on the post.
Just to put Pedro's response in context...

The setting "Reply - Anyone" will indeed allow anyone to make a comment on your posts.

The danger in allowing Anyone to do this is that you may get a lot of spam posts.

Most forum administrators would only allow "Registered" users to reply. That means you have a point of contact if should you wish to respond privately to someone who posts. You could also ban them, although, as Nabble warns you, that is not a reliable approach as anyone can re-register a new address and carry on spamming.

That leaves you with the option of using the "Members" group. As the link that Pedro shows, this is an entirely manual process that you control as Administrator. The disadvantage of only allowing Members to post is that any potential commenter instead of being able to comment immediately, is presented with a form that asks them to provide an email address and give reasons for being allowed to post. You would then have to add them to the Members group.

Depending on the popularity of your blog and whether it attracts spammers, it is probably worth initially allowing "Anyone" to post and only moving to "Registered" or "Members" if you continue to have problems with unwelcome posts.

RE: Restricting who can post to my blog...

integrativeawareness

So, is creating a ‘Post’ and ‘Reply’ controlled by the same setting?

Also, how can I remove the following items (within the blue circles within the attached photo).

Thanks,

Sean

http://support.nabble.com/Restricting-who-can-post-to-my-blog-tp7591974p7592001.html

Capture.PNG (701K) Download Attachment

RE: Restricting who can post to my blog...

GregChapman
integrativeawareness wrote
So, is creating a 'Post' and 'Reply' controlled by the same setting?
You are confusing terms. I use "Post" to mean any article or message created on Nabble.

"Create_topic" is the permission to start a completely new posts that is not a reply to previous post. This is the permission you would grant to, for example, the creator of a blog or for a company forum that is only used to announce new products.

"Reply" is the permission granted to respond to existing post. In some applications these are referred to as Replies, in others as Comments.

Both permissions allow posts but they will appear in different ways in the structure of a Nabble application.

Also, how can I remove the following items (within the blue circles within
the attached photo).
You really don't want to do that - and in some cases it is against the terms and conditions of the use of Nabble.

To explain:
In the top area:
The Application Name: is part of a set of breadcrumb menus that allow a user to navigate between various forums and sub-forums.
Refresh: allows an embedded forum to be updated without having to waste time reloading the main page within which it is embedded.
Username; (which depending on condition may be replaced by "Login" and "Register" items) is how a user identifies themselves to Nabble and gains access to various customisations, such as username, signature, email address, etc.

To the right:
Feeds: A feature that allows users to choose a method of accessing the forum in ways that may be more convenient to them.

At the Bottom:
Powered by Nabble: Take this away and you break Nabble's T&C.
Edit this page: Essential for advanced customisation and necessary if you want to change the very features you are talking about want to amend.
Remove Ads: Easily removed by clicking the link and paying for the ads to be removed.

As you see, virtually every one of those links is either required or essential for it to be present, or can make your forum more attractive or easier to use for some of your users. Those that could be regarded as entirely optional are barely worth removing anyway.

If you really want none of those things then one must question whether Nabble is the right product for you. You might be better off placing your posts on on your main site and finding an embeddable "guest book" that allows visitors to respond to what appears there.

RE: Restricting who can post to my blog...

integrativeawareness wrote
Also, how can I remove the following items (within the blue circles within
the attached photo).
Hi,
After all this great Gregg's explanation , please, if you still want to remove anything, create another topic in our support. Let's keep this thread to discuss about permissions only.

Thanks.
My test forum.