Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Coleen_Astalos
When a topic has a lot of discussion (which in my list happens primarily via email), the subject lines for the posts end up looking like this....
SU!: Re: RE: RE: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: October 2015 Out with Hostess Benefits in with Stampin' Rewards for Hostesses

Is there a way to strip off the extra RE:'s when the email comes in so there is just one?
I would think if you replaced "Re: Re: " with "Re: " that would reduce it to just one for the subject line.

I do a similar thing in the "Send Subscription Email" to strip off all SU!: tags in the subject line, before adding the SU!: tag at the beginning when it gets sent out.  But I couldn't figure out how to ALSO strip off all but one of the Re:'s in the same place because I only want an RE: when it's a reply email and I don't want to strip off all of them.   So I thought maybe doing it on the incoming side of the email would work.

Let me know.
Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Pedro
Didn't we have fix it before?

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Coleen_Astalos

We tried to remove the "Re:"'s and SU!:'s when sending out the emails, but that removed ALL the RE:'s (because it was in the same statement and we looked for all "Re" and all "SU!" and replaced both with "").  My members didn't like that because they couldn't tell what messages were new versus replies.   So we changed it to just remove the SU!'s.     If you can fix it in that same place, that would be great.  But if not, the idea I have now is to remove the "Re's" from the subject line as the messages come in and leave it so the SU!'s are removed when the messages are sent out.

Coleen

Coleen Astalos, Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alamosa, CO, [hidden email]
See my website at http://alamosa.stampinup.net
Are you a demonstrator? Join me on SUDSOL - Your 24/7 Upline!

To unsubscribe from Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply, click here.
NAML

NAML

I just made a "visual" correction with javascript. Look at topic_html macro.

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Coleen_Astalos

Pedro,

This works for the display in the forum, but the emails are still coming across with multiple Re:'s.  Can we permanently update the "Subject" so that the Re's are removed for both the forum & the emails?

NAML

I just made a "visual" correction with javascript. Look at topic_html macro.

http://support.nabble.com/Remove-multiple-RE-s-in-email-reply-tp7592885p7592971.html

To unsubscribe from Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply, click here.
NAML

Do you mean the emails subscribers receive? If so, I could just correct the subject field at the reply form.

Do you mean the emails subscribers receive? If so, I could just correct the subject field at the reply form.

http://support.nabble.com/Remove-multiple-RE-s-in-email-reply-tp7592885p7592979.html

To unsubscribe from Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply, click here.
NAML

Do you mean the emails subscribers receive? If so, I could just correct the subject field at the reply form.

http://support.nabble.com/Remove-multiple-RE-s-in-email-reply-tp7592885p7592979.html

To unsubscribe from Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply, click here.
NAML

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

GregChapman
Hi Pedro,

I've only scanned this topic briefly, but I wonder if this topic:

http://support.nabble.com/Mail-List-Subject-Line-Identifier-td7581972.html

and this contribution from Hugo:

http://support.nabble.com/Mail-List-Subject-Line-Identifier-tp7581972p7582055.html

might be relevant/helpful.

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Pedro
Thanks Greg, I remember that.
I think we have done that in Coleen's forum.

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Coleen_Astalos
Pedro,
I think this got lost in the shuffle of responses...

The correction you made fixed the display in the forum.  However, what I need fixed is the actual emails that are sent out to subscribers.

Currently in send_subscription_email we remove any extra SU!:'s.   (Regex replaces all "SU!: " with "")

Previously we tried to also remove extra "Re:"'s in the same statement (replacing "Re: " with "", but then we didn't have ANY Re:'s if it was a reply which my users didn't like.  So we removed it.

Is there a way to make a Regex statement that will do both the replace all "SU!: " with "" and also replace all "Re: Re:" with "Re:"?  (This way one Re: will remain if it's a reply). I couldn't figure out how to do that since there are two different replacement strings.

If that's difficult, an alternative would be to change the subject line on the incoming emails to remove any duplicate Re:'s so it would then be correct in the forum itself and wouldn't be a problem when the emails are sent out to subscribers.

Thanks,
Coleen

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Pedro
Please, test this override:
<override_macro name="send_subscription_email" parameters="node_attr,text_part,html_part" requires="subscription">
    <n.set_local_subscription.this_subscription/>
    <n.set_local_node.node_attr/>
    <n.comment>
        Changed to include subcategory in from name.
        Added SU! in front of subject line
        Removed extra SU!s in subject line
    </n.comment>
    <n.block.>
        <n.new_email.>
            <n.set_header name="Sender" value="[n.local_subscription.user.reply_address_for.local_node/]"/>
            <n.set_header name="List-Id" value="forum.sudsol.org"/>
            <n.set_header name="Mailing-List" value="list [n.local_subscription.user.reply_address_for.local_node/]; contact slb@sudsol.org"/>
            <n.set_header name="Precedence" value="bulk"/>
            <n.send>
                <to.local_subscription.user.user_email/>
                <to_name>SUDSOL Group</to_name>
                <from.local_subscription.user.reply_address_for.local_node/>
                <from_name>SUDSOL [<n.local_node.owner.name/>] via <n.local_node.get_app_node.subject/></from_name>
                <subject.>
                    <n.set_var. name="subject">
                        SU!: <n.regex_replace_all text="[n.local_node.subject/]" pattern="SU!: " replacement=""/>
                    </n.set_var.>

                    <n.regex. text="[n.var name='subject'/]" pattern="Re: ">
                        <n.if.find>
                            <then>
                                Re:
                                <n.regex_replace_all text = "[n.var name='subject'/]" pattern="Re:" replacement = ''/>
                            </then>
                            <else><n.var name='subject'/></else>
                        </n.if.find>
                    </n.regex.>

                </subject.>
                <text_part.text_part/>
                <html_part.>
                    <n.regex_replace_all text="[n.local_node.html_part/]" pattern="\u00a0" replacement=" "/>
                </html_part.>
                <set_headers_for.local_node/>
                <bounce_to.local_subscription.user.bounces_address/>
            </n.send>
        </n.new_email.>
    </n.block.>
</override_macro>

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Coleen_Astalos
Mostly works, but doesn't catch the upper case RE:'s.  I know there is a way to make it not be case sensitive as you've shown me before, but I don't remember.

Thanks,
Coleen

The pattern would be: (Re:)|(RE:). Please, try to change yours and let me know if now works for all cases,

RE: Remove multiple RE:'s in email reply

Coleen_Astalos
Thanks, that's what I needed.  Seems to be working.
Coleen