Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

GregChapman
After all my years with Nabble, for the first time, I have tried embedding a second sub-forum page in its own page within my web site.

Here's the forum: http://sbc-forum.2368949.n4.nabble.com/

The two sub-forums that are embedded are:
http://sbc-forum.2368949.n4.nabble.com/The-Bulletin-f72.html
http://sbc-forum.2368949.n4.nabble.com/Prayers-f150.html

Once you visit either of these pages you become locked into their respective main site pages and, for example, navigating via forum links from the "Bulletin" to the "Prayers" sub-forum does not also move you to Prayers page on the main site.

Can this be fixed?

(There are plenty of pages with limited public access and these are not intended to be embedded as it makes editing permissions so much easier, when you are not restricted to the narrow confines of the main site!)

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
hi, it seems that the "Prayer" page is not embedded...

It is embedded at at http://www.stalhambaptist.org.uk/ourprayers.php but because It's somewhat experimental and awaiting content from users there are no links to it on the menu system or elsewhere.

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
Hi Greg, I have registered on the forum and I see the main bulletin is embedded here:
http://www.stalhambaptist.org.uk/bulletin.php#nabble-f72
and the prayer and bulletin are both embedded on the site... perhaps I am not understanding the issue?

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

GregChapman
The issue is that once you are navigating round the forum on an embedded page you stay in the same page on the main site, so when you use the forum links to navigate from the Prayers page to the Bulletin page the redirect to the Bulletin page does not take effect. You can be reading the Bulletin page on the forum but it will be embedded on the Prayers page of the main site.

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
a bit confused. it seems to me the only way to navigate across subforums is through going BACK to the main list of subforums, you can't navigate across subforums directly in with links...

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

GregChapman
Just to clarify...
If you land on the main site's Bulletin page and then navigate, using the forum's links to the forum's Prayers page you stay embedded on the Bulletin page of the main site even though the forum's Prayer page is set to be embedded in the main site's Our Prayers page.

I was expecting that the page in which a forum was set to be embedded would take priority over whatever page on the main site you happened to be initially.

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
ooohh I see, the embedded forum changes but you want the containing page to navigate instead. Let me get back to you on that

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
Okay, I looked into the code. The embedded forum is an iframe thus the parent url is not effected, only in the iframe. when you navigate breadcrumb on the embeded forum it changes the iframe but not the parent url. Let me see what can be done...

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
hi, according to fschmidt, the solution is that you can remove the stop forum form the breadcumbs and have links outside of the embedded iframe. is that good enough?

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

GregChapman
haozwang<Nabble> wrote
you can remove the stop forum form the breadcumbs and have links outside of the embedded iframe.
I'm OK with NAML when it's building HTML and CSS code, but not much more.

In your answer I don't understand the phrase "stop forum form". If you can explain that I may be able to work out the rest.

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
Too many typos...
I mean remove the top forum from the breadcrumbs
Essentially just have links to sub forum pages outside of the iframe

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

GregChapman
Mmm! I fear that level of NAML coding is beyond me and I'm not clear that it would solve the problem.

(Pedro once removed the "Home" link from the breadcrumbs for me when he did a lot of coding when I was using "Smart Pages" to hide a selection of areas from part of the forum audience. The trouble was people could jump from one section of the forum to the other by accessing it through their profile pages, as you were then always returned to the "Home" page. His solution was to replace the "Home" link in the breadcrumbs with a "Back" link to keep the two audiences separate, but that introduced a number of bugs that were never resolved. After Pedro left,  I split the two forums and they now run independently.)

I guess I had in mind an approach more like this when clicking any link within the forum that would open a new page:

Does the link on the forum target a page with a "Redirect to" set?
If yes: Jump to the URL on the main site (not the forum permalink) and let the forum page appear there.

Obviously, it's going to be a relatively slow operation as the forum has to re-load completely at the new page - but  that is an inevitable consequence of demanding separate redirects. I can live with that!

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
hey Greg, did you try your solution? how did it work out?

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

GregChapman
I haven't tried to implement it as I don't trust my NAML coding skills.

Can you provide some sample code on the required macro and then I'm prepared to have a go myself.

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
Hi Greg, sorry about the late response. I let Franklin know what you need and see if he has solutions

However, what we suggested is akin to opening a new page thou

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

haozwang<Nabble>
Hi Greg, sorry for the extremely late reply on this issue but in the embedded frame links should set to "target top" would resolve the issue? at least when not accessed through the profile page?

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

h3rb1x
haozwang<Nabble> wrote
but in the embedded frame links should set to "target top" would resolve the issue? at least when not accessed through the profile page?
I also embedded another "application" (sub forum) on a separate page.

How do you set "target top" exactly, I have the below?

<script type="text/javascript"> nabble_width = "700px"; nabble_ignore_scroll = true; nabble_ignore_title = true; </script>

Note: Removing the breadcrumb seems like a good option and I will try it.

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

h3rb1x
Well, the bread crumbs are the way to go however, I was not able to find a way to remove it just from the specific application/sub forum. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you.

Re: Redirection Fails When Multiple Pages Are Embedded

GregChapman
Hi  h3rb1x,

Removing the breadcrumb menu will completely trash the ability to navigate round your forum. I don't see that as a solution.

I have not had time to investigate Hoazwang's suggested solution. Sample code from him would probably be useful for both of us! (I think he is suggesting that we edit a macro - not sure which - to insert HTML code that specifies where to open an HTML link)