Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
I am the administrator of a Mailman 2.1 listserv that I am integrating with Nabble.

Everything seems to be working except that messages posted to the Nabble forum do not seem to be sent to the listserv (or they are not arriving?)

Messages sent to the listserv appear as expected in Nabble. I can confirm that the Nabble address is subscribed to the list.

Can anyone suggest a solution or the next step to troubleshoot?

As an addendum, I originally posted this in the free forum until I could finally figure out where to sign up for paid support (from a link in the Free NAML forum heading). It could be just me, but it was pretty hard to pay you - might be worth assessing where the information on paid support can be found and making it more prominent.

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Pedro
Hi,
Could you give me the addresses, so I will check the list and your archive.

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
http://link.appalachiancommunities.org and [hidden email]

Thanks!

On 5/22/2012 3:12 PM, Pedro <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] wrote:
Hi,
Could you give me the addresses, so I will check the list and your archive.

http://support.nabble.com/Listserv-to-Nabble-works-Nabble-to-listserv-does-not-tp7570790p7571750.html
To unsubscribe from Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not, click here.
NAML

--
Mark W. Kidd
Roadside Theater - Thousand Kites - Appalshop

606-536-0115 (cell)
roadside.org
thousandkites.org
appalshop.org

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Pedro
Hi,
go at Options > Application > Mailing list archive settings and deselect "Hide mailing list archive information from users".
Please, let me know if you were trying to do something else, so we can help you.

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
I've disabled the "hide mailing list archive information" box but I do not understand your question.

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
I didn't notice some error messages before now but they may be relevant.

"This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet." You can see them on each message here:
http://appalachiancommunities.org/link/#nabble-td4979737

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
I want to know why did you enable that option? Do you really want to hide the mailing list archive details from the UI? I can explain to you how to do that with NAML, but you shouldn't use the option above.

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
Honestly it's because the Nabble-generated markup does not look good and it's not where I want it to be on the page. That's why I added the box with "Want to participate in AC-Link via email? Visit the listerv subscription page." in the page above the embedded forum.

http://support.nabble.com/Listserv-to-Nabble-works-Nabble-to-listserv-does-not-tp7570790p7571842.html

thousandkites.org
appalshop.org

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
This post was updated on .
Let me add to my response: are you saying that by disabling the link to the mailing list in the application settings I am also changing its functionality? If so that would seem to be a problem with the UI.

Edit:  Somehow, when I disabled that option it also changed the title of the page it's embedded in. That's a problem with the settings UI for sure.

Disabling that option in the application settings, is mostly used to replace your mailing list server with Nabble's email subscription feature, as you can see here: http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=46

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
OK, now that you tipped me off to this problem I am pretty sure I see what's going on.

You have an option called "Hide mailing list archive information from users" which should actually be called something like "Disable listserv posting integration."

When you check or uncheck that option it completely changes the functionality and the title of the page.

I don't intend to use the Nabble email posting because it's not as simple or robust as what Mailman offers me. I'll see what I can do with NAML to get things looking the way I want without checking the box.

Please, let me If you need any help with NAML. I can help you make things the way you want.

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
Thanks.  I have started a new thread for my NAML adventures.

(And paid support has already more than paid for itself!)

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd wrote
You have an option called "Hide mailing list archive information from users" which should actually be called something like "Disable listserv posting integration."
The idea of this feature is to help admins who want to replace a standard mailing list with Nabble's subscription/post by email feature.  We changed the settings UI (see below), but this will be available only after the next release.

If you really want to hide mailing list information from users, then maybe the best option for you is to override the "mail to list" macro and remove the condition "not.is_hidden_mailing_list" from the first if-statement. You can search for that macro and let us know if you have questions.

Re: Listserv to Nabble works, Nabble to listserv does not

Mark W. Kidd
Thanks, that makes sense. Even seeing the new UI, I just want to say that "Hide" is not the verb I would use to describe that change. Something involving "Disable" is probably what you're looking for.

The visual 'hiding' is incidental to all of the other things that happen when you click that checkbox.