Embedding on Weebly

Sandrine Pelissier
Hello,
I did set up a new forum http://creative-well-being-forum.81949.x6.nabble.com/
and did copy/paste the code onto my weebly website to embed it here: https://www.myartboxonline.com/creative-well-being-class-forum.html
I only get a loading message in the editor and a link to the forum on the page. It is not embedded.
Did I miss something?
Thanks
Sandrine

Re: Embedding on Weebly

GregChapman
Hi Sandrine,

What I can say is that many web editors and site creation software would not display the output of script code, so it is possible that part of what you describe may be normal - but in this case, I don't think that applies.

On the live site I see a link to the forum and when I click on it I get taken to your forum - but it is not embedded.

When I look at the code behind the live site I see Nabble's embedding code pasted correctly.

However, if it is pasted correctly then I would expect to see the forum display embedded in your page.

My best guess is that you are not pasting the the code in the right way in Weebly's page editor. I think this is something you need to check on in their help files or their support centre.

As further background, the first part of the Nabble code (the < a> tag) is intended to produce a link to the Nabble forum (which is what it is doing). It is for cases  for cases where the second part, (the <script> tag) does not work.

So all this suggests that somehow you are pasting Nabble's code into Weebly selecting the correct option in Weebly before you paste but in a way that prevents the script from doing its job leaving just the fallback link to do its job.

Re: Embedding on Weebly

Sandrine Pelissier
Thanks Greg for taking the time to look into it.
I copied the code again, did paste it into an html -embed code  space again and it is the same issue.
It says it is loading on my editor and I see only the link on my website.

Now, it des not really matter to me if people have to click on the link to go to the forum because I really like the way this forum works. I used Tal-ki before and ran into many issues.

The only thing that really matters then is that only people who take my class could access the forum. If I protect the access to the link with a password on my website, is there a way to make the forum not public from this address: http://creative-well-being-forum.81949.x6.nabble.com/  ?

Thanks
Sandrine

Re: Embedding on Weebly

GregChapman
Sandrine Pelissier wrote
Thanks Greg for taking the time to look into it.
I copied the code again, did paste it into an html -embed code  space again and it is the same issue.
It says it is loading on my editor and I see only the link on my website.
I recall others who use Weebly have had issues of this kind, but there are definitely Weebly users who have got their Nabble forum to behave as it should. I still think that issue is something you need to take up with Weebly support. That is, if the following doesn't help:
http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594853.html
Now, it des not really matter to me if people have to click on the link to go to the forum because I really like the way this forum works. I used Tal-ki before and ran into many issues.

The only thing that really matters then is that only people who take my class could access the forum. If I protect the access to the link with a password on my website, is there a way to make the forum not public from this address: http://creative-well-being-forum.81949.x6.nabble.com/  ?
Generally, I would advise against using a facility within Weebly to password protect an area of your site. Almost invariably it is better to set up your Nabble forum appropriately. It's all a question of "User Permissions". I have a post which explains some of the principles at:
http://support.nabble.com/Moderating-free-forum-tp6873076p6873871.html

Re: Embedding on Weebly

savemyexams
Hi Greg,

I was wondering if you/Sandrine found a solution to the problem of embedding a Nabble forum in a Weebly site?

I have exactly the same problem as Sandrine, where I copy and paste the snippet code for Nibble into a code element in Weebly. When the is page is displayed, there is only a link to the forum instead of an embedded forum.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Jamie

Re: Embedding on Weebly

GregChapman
I've just checked the link to Sandstone's forum and it is working and displays a login screen. However the link to her Weebly site now gets  an error 404, so it seems that she has abandoned her site and closed it down.

I am still inclined to believe this is a case for Weebly support rather than Nabble.

Re: Embedding on Weebly

savemyexams
Hi Greg

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've inserted the HTML code supplied by Nabble on the following page but as you can see there is only a link displaying and the forum isn't embedded. Can you suggest a way to remedy this? I will also contact Weebly support but would really appreciate it if you could maybe shed some light on it!

Link to page: https://www.savemyexams.co.uk/forum.html

HTML Code inserted:
Save My Exams! Forum
<script src="http://save-my-exams-forum.2368031.n4.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>
Best
Jamie

Re: Embedding on Weebly

GregChapman
This is definitely a support question for Weebly.

When I look at the code in your page surrounding the Nabble code I see this:
      <a id="nabblelink" href="http://save-my-exams-forum.2368031.n4.nabble.com/">Save My Exams! Forum</a>
      <script src="http://save-my-exams-forum.2368031.n4.nabble.com/embed/f1"></script>
and a lot more stuff before a final closing
This shows that you have embedded the full Nabble code, which as you see comes in two parts:
# A link to your forum (in effect fallback code in case the script doesn't take effect)
# Some JavaScript code that should embed the forum and remove the the link.

As, the correct Nabble code does appear on your page yet the script doesn't take effect it must be down to its position in the code and the styling of the various "div"s that surround it. Some of the styling will take effect as a result of the various IDs and Classes attached to the various structures into which you have placed the Nabble code.

I am deeply suspicious of the part that says "overflow-y: hidden;" which suggests to me is designed to hide any content after the text that forms the link. The script itself isn't "content" in the HTML sense.

I know this is rather technical and the whole point of using Weebly is to hide you from these technicalities, but it does suggest to me that there is some feature within the Weebly interface that has been overlooked and that will require Weebly support to provide an answer.

Re: Embedding on Weebly

savemyexams
Hi Greg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this a little further. I really appreciate it.

I realise any further work on this would be well beyond the call of duty (arguably you’ve already gone way past that point!). Would you perhaps be interested in doing some paid consultancy work for us to help integrate the Nibble forum into the Save My Exams website?

As for Weebly, they are almost 100% useless when it comes to providing any support for integrating 3rd party applications into their sites.

Many thanks again for you help so far.

Best,
Jamie

Jamie Undrell
--
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter: @SaveMyExams

On 1 Feb 2017, at 12:42, GregChapman [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Embedding-on-Weebly-tp7596707p7597678.html
To unsubscribe from Embedding on Weebly, click here.
NAML

Re: Embedding on Weebly

GregChapman
Take a look at this post:
http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594853.html
and see if it helps.

I'm a sometimes grumpy, retired and mildly Aspergers Syndrome suffering fellow and the thread and may demonstrate why I may not be the best person to take on a Support role. :-)

Bear in mind that you can email any registered poster on a Nabble forum by clicking on their username. You are taken to their Profile screen where there is a link to enable this. Obviously, getting in touch with someone who is familiar with Weebly should be a better bet than getting me to gain expertise in a product that is completely new to me.