Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select
I am a complete novice in this field. Can someone please advise;
My first drama is with the cut and paste function, I have registered a new forum with Nabble and was set to transfer the forum to Weebly my problem is accessing the HTML page at Weebly, I have opened the source page and I can't insert any changes to that. So how do I do it? (Step by step please)
I have noticed a whole range of questions on this forum that are of interest to me, my second question is should I carry out all alterations/amendments to my forum page prior to or following the transfer to Weebly
Thanks in Advance

Re: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
E Cig Select wrote
I have registered a new forum with Nabble and was set to transfer the forum to Weebly my problem is accessing the HTML page at Weebly, I have opened the source page and I can't insert any changes to that. So how do I do it? (Step by step please)
I am afraid to need support from Weebly to answer that question. This forum is for Nabble support only.
my second question is should I carry out all alterations/amendments to my forum page prior to or following the transfer to Weebly
You can customise your Nabble forum at any time. It doesn't matter if your forum is currently embedded or not.

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

Hi Greg

On the Internet I located a n item by Nabble which outlined several shortfalls of the forum used by Weebly and suggested that Nabble was a far better product,which was completely compatible with Weebly and Nabble also provided a step by step guide on how to achieve this (which I can send you if you wiah). This guide was very specific about inserting the alternative porum into weebly, hence my question.

Hope this clears up the situation.

Regards

I have registered a new forum with Nabble and was set to transfer the forum to Weebly my problem is accessing the HTML page at Weebly, I have opened the source page and I can't insert any changes to that. So how do I do it? (Step by step please)

I am afraid to need support from Weebly to answer that question. This forum is for Nabble support only.

my second question is should I carry out all alterations/amendments to my forum page prior to or following the transfer to Weebly

You can customise your Nabble forum at any time. It doesn't matter if your forum is currently embedded or not.

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594697.html

To unsubscribe from Embed forum in Weebly Website, click here.
NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
I don't use Wix, Weebly, or any other web-based web authoring tool that advertises itself as "no knowledge of codding required" so am unable to comment on their facilities. What I can say is that you'll find many posts on Nabble Support that indicate that users of these services have difficulty embedding a Nabble forum into their site.

I have always believed that is because you do need an understanding of how HTML and CSS work, even if you don't actually need to know the details of syntax of the languages to work with these tools, so the claims for these products are highly misleading, while not being untrue.

Visiting a web site is like being a car driver. You don't need to know how it works to get it to do what it was designed for. Most car drivers would not dream of building a car. They realise you need the additional knowledge that a mechanic has.

If you wish to build a web site being a driver is not sufficient. You need some knowledge of mechanics as well.

The questions we get here from Wix and Weebly users seem to indicate they attract drivers, not mechanics. It's hardly surprising so many have difficulties.

I confess I tend to have little sympathy for their naivety. I will help where I can but cannot help when the answer needs knowledge of the web building tools they use.

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

Well, what can I say. I am a tad offended by your assumptions, your attitude and your tone. I would think that if you are performing an assistance role with Nabble you certainly have a funny way about how to do it. I would imagine there are many people in similar situations to myself with the scenario that I found myself facing. The last thing I expected was the reply you sent to me. So I would like to clarify a few facts (which you should have made yourself aware of before you undertook any form of response to my questions)

In the first place my query had nothing to do with Weebly, they just happened to be a provider I had selected, the issue I raised came from an internet post by webnots who clearly stated that I could insert a Nabble forum in my Weebly site. While it is a bit late (You should have read this before you attempted to answer) I have attached the link to that webpage;

http://www.webnots.com/how-to-embed-nabble-forum-in-weebly-site/

Following the creation of my forum, I received a direction from Nabble on embedding it in my website:

“To add this forum to your website, copy and paste the following code on your HTML page:” (Link attached)

That’s when I had the problem, I was unable to follow the directions, because I could not identify the tabs or fields on the Weebly site. Now this may not appear logical to you, but my first instinct was to approach the person who issued the directions I was trying to follow and that was Nabble (Webnots). So I registered with their forum and wrote in, submitting my request for help. Then you came along.

For the information of any other party who may find themselves in the same situation that I was in, the reason the direction doesn’t work, is that Weebly have changed their setup and how you embed anything into their site. Attached is their link on how to proceed;

http://kb.weebly.com/custom-html.html

In closing may I just add, Prior to undertaking any activity relating to websites, I spent over 100 hours going through over 30 tutorials produced by Killersites.com dealing with HTML and CSS, just to gain that understanding of what is needed to design and build a website. I also purchased “Building a Web Site for Dummies” and undertook many hours of research on the internet.

May I recommend Mr Chapman, you spend the next week reading Dale Carnegie’s book “How to win friends and influence People”. You have failed on both counts.

Regards.

[...]

http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594703.html

To unsubscribe from Embed forum in Weebly Website, click here.
NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
E Cig Select wrote
Well, what can I say. I am a tad offended by your assumptions
My apologies, if I offended you. Look at it this way. My post said more about me than it did about you. There's no reason for you to take offence when I say things about myself and my attitudes.
if you are performing an assistance role with Nabble you certainly have a funny way about how to do it.
So you do understand me!  I have funny ways!

Let's go back to the beginning. You don't know how to insert a snippet of HTML code into a Weebly site.

I told you that for that you need to turn to
http://www.weebly.com/

You chose instead to turn to:
http://www.webnots.com/
You say that site is out of date, so you need to turn to that site to ask them to update it

I am not clear why you think that
http://www.nabble.com/
has anything to do with Webnots. There are hundreds of sites out there which attempt to provide help with other people's programs and services. Webnots appears to be one of them.

I cannot help with either Weebly. or Webnots sites. I don't use either. I will do my best to help Nabble users who have problems running a Nabble forum.

I'm glad you were eventually able to find what you needed on the Weebly site. (Good to know I made the correct suggestion in the first place!)

Re: Embed forum in Weebly Website

ibatey
Its really easy with Weebly.

Just add a page in <Pages>   This will add a blank page in the style of your site.

Click Save and Edit on the page you added

Then drag the tile from the builder menu which is for embedded code (Looks like </>)

Click on the box you just dragged and then click on <Edit Custom HTML> button.

You will then effectively have a place to paste the code from nabble.

Paste the nabble code and publish your website and hey presto!

Click on your published site and the page you added and you should see the Forum from Nabble.

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

Hi

It is really great to have civil communication from someone at Nabble. Following my last experience, I had deleted my previous correspondence as I did not envisage that I was making any progress. I would like to resume and use your forum (my intention all the time). Do I need to re join the Nabble site as a beginner or do I continue as one who has already joined and just ‘Log- in”?

Another question regarding the forum, I have not yet published my website and would like to have it all set up before I do (including the forum). Is this practical?

Regards

Terry

Just add a page in <Pages>   This will add a blank page in the style of your site.

Click Save and Edit on the page you added

Then drag the tile from the builder menu which is for embedded code (Looks like </>)

Click on the box you just dragged and then click on <Edit Custom HTML> button.

You will then effectively have a place to paste the code from nabble.

Paste the nabble code and publish your website and hey presto!

Click on your published site and the page you added and you should see the Forum from Nabble.

http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594853.html

To unsubscribe from Embed forum in Weebly Website, click here.
NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
Hi Terry,
E Cig Select wrote
I had deleted my previous correspondence as I did not envisage that I was making any progress.
Let's hope we get on better this time.

It seems your correspondence on this forum was not deleted, or you have re-registered with the same email address, which will have revived it.
I would like to resume and use your forum (my intention all the time). Do I need to re join the Nabble
site as a beginner or do I continue as one who has already joined and just 'Log- in"?
I think you mean "resume and use my forum". Also bear in mind that ibatey is just another Nabble user like you or I. He just happens to have some experience with Weebly, that I lack.

If you just stripped out any customisation, sub-forums and dummy posts you created earlier and then abandoned your forum, then you can simply login again and pick up where you left off.

If you took the option to delete the account you created to set up an manage your own forum then if you register again at Nabble using the same email address, you should find your old forum still exists. However...

A forum will disappear eventually. Nabble flags accounts marked for deletion but only actually deletes them during a periodic "house-keeping" process. If that has not taken place your account can be revived by re-registering. If the "house-keeping" has taken place then any work you did before will be gone and you will be presented with a new default forum.
I have not yet published my website and would like to have it all set up before I do (including the forum). Is
this practical?
If you embed your forum in your site, then it will display there and you will be able to work with it in your unpublished Weebly site, so yes, that is entirely practical.

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

OK let’s try again.

Please remember I have very limited knowledge of IT and how it all works.

How do I get back to the stage of my original Nabble forum that I had been working on. I was at the stage where I had been provided with an embeddable code that I could insert into my Weebly website when it all hit the fan and I withdrew from the conversation.

I want that embeddable code, so I can proceed and get everything up. My intent is to then preview what is there and make sure it is :

·         What I want from the forum

·         Able to be viewed in the workable stage that any visitors to my site will see.

Regards

Terry

[...]

http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594897.html

To unsubscribe from Embed forum in Weebly Website, click here.
NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
Hi,
E Cig Select wrote
How do I get back to the stage of my original Nabble forum that I had been
working on.
I'm not quite sure what stage you're at.

Have you still got the emails that tell you the URL of your Nabble forum?
(It will look something like: http://yourforum.1234567.n1.nabble.com/)

Have you entered its URL in the address bar of your browser?

When you do, does your forum still exist or do you get taken to Nabble's home page instead?

Have to successfully logged in there?

If you can do all of those steps then you find the embedding code at:

Options > Embedding options

If you cannot get that far you need to report at which step it went wrong and the result you got when you tried.

We'll tackle your other questions about what you want from the forum and what visitors will see once we get to that stage.

Be aware that I know nothing of Weebly, so exactly how you then insert that code in your main site is beyond my ability to help. You will need someone with Weebly experience to answer questions in that area.

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

I think I have pretty much got how to insert the code, I remember the code was provided, but regret that I deleted all that info. Along with the Emails. I’m thinking that it is probably best to start from scratch, but suspect that I will get a message along the lines od “you are already registered”

So any suggestions?

[...]

http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594900.html

To unsubscribe from Embed forum in Weebly Website, click here.
NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
Hi Terry,
E Cig Select wrote
I think I have pretty much got how to insert the code, I remember the code
was provided, but regret that I deleted all that info. Along with the
Emails. I'm thinking that it is probably best to start from scratch, but
suspect that I will get a message along the lines od "you are already
registered"
It does sound as if you have no choice but to start from scratch.

Nabble allows you to create multiple forums using the same ID, so it should not matter if you use the same email address as before when creating a new forum.

However it may well complain if you use the same email address but a different password. The only answer is to try it and report the result here, so we all learn something.

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

Hi Greg

Well I have embedded the Nabble code into my website, just need to clarify a few things with Weebly and it should be up and running.

In the meantime, if there is a Nabble “how to do” sgheet I would like to be directed to it. I also have a wish list that I would like to have in my forum which I am not sure if they are all possible, but I am sure you will be able to advise.

·         I would like access to the forum and the ability to read all posts available to any visitor to my website.

·         To enter a post on the forum I want them to “register”

·         I wish to establish a set of Rules that are posted on the site

·         I wish any potential member to confirm they have read and agree to the rules prior to being able to register

·         I would love to prevent the posting of any URL or Email address on the forum

·         I want to be able to ban members for specific periods including permanently.

I think that’s about it for starters.

Hope you can advise

Regards

Terry

I think I have pretty much got how to insert the code, I remember the code
was provided, but regret that I deleted all that info. Along with the
Emails. I'm thinking that it is probably best to start from scratch, but
suspect that I will get a message along the lines od "you are already
registered"

It does sound as if you have no choice but to start from scratch.

Nabble allows you to create multiple forums using the same ID, so it should not matter if you use the same email address as before when creating a new forum.

However it may well complain if you use the same email address but a different password. The only answer is to try it and report the result here, so we all learn something.

Just a Volunteer Nabble Helper - because the nice folk at Nabble have helped me!

http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594906.html

To unsubscribe from Embed forum in Weebly Website, click here.
NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
Hi Terry,
E Cig Select wrote
if there is a Nabble "how to do" sgheet I would like to be directed to it. I also have a wish list that I would like to have in my forum which I am not sure if they are all possible, but I am sure you will
be able to advise.
Unfortunately, there is no "complete" Nabble documentation and they are not very good at keeping what is available up to date. They tend to regard this forum as they place to sort out issues.
*         I would like access to the forum and the ability to read all posts available to any visitor to my website.
I'm not sure I understand what you have in mind with that statement. You, and anyone, can reach your forum through its URL, or the site where you embed it, and "read all posts available to any visitor". Can you re-phrase it?
*         To enter a post on the forum I want them to "register"
All you need to do is alter the default User Permissions. I think a post of mine made a while ago might help explain the fundamentals:
http://support.nabble.com/Moderating-free-forum-tp6873076p6873871.html
*         I wish to establish a set of Rules that are posted on the site
It is simple enough to post a message that includes your "house rules". You could "Lock" it. That means no one can reply to it. You could "pin" it. That means it will always appear above any others in the list of topics showing on the forum. It would also be possible to create a dedicated area (sub-forum) where all such guidance notes appear.
*         I wish any potential member to confirm they have read and agree to the rules prior to being able to register
There is no facility with the standard Nabble product to any kind of check box, which I think is what you have in mind. You would either need to do some NAML coding yourself, or pay for Premium Support and request that enhancement. Nabble's facilities tend to grow in this manner. It is not uncommon for a paying customer to request a feature like that and if it is feasible for the staff they add it to that customer's forum. In some cases they decide it would be popular enough and they add it to the standard Nabble product for all and it appears on all forums.

However, if you have read the "Moderating a Free Forum" post, you'll see you may find that using the "Members" group is an appropriate work around. (If you prevent those in the "Anyone" and "Registered" groups from posting then when those users attempt a post they'll reach a "Request to Access" screen, which provides space to send a brief email to the administrator. You could add a note to your forum's "Description" field warning people that they cannot post they send that request including confirmation they have read your terms and conditions.)
*         I would love to prevent the posting of any URL or Email address on the forum
That's not part of the standard package, but possibly could be achieved with some special coding by Nabble. However, I doubt that anything could be done that can truly stop people posting what will be obvious links to humans. How about www seahawk17 ddoott org ddoott uk for example? However, I do recall a request on the Premium Forum which requested links be prevented in signatures. You might care to research that.
*         I want to be able to ban members for specific periods including permanently.
There is no process for banning forum users for a specific period. You can, however, ban and unban at will, but it is a manual process.

Banning is something that is tricky. Bear in mind that registration is in the user's hands not yours. So all someone has to do is register with a different address. Again, use of the "Members" group is your work around because you have the power to add and remove users from that group. (Be careful with use of the terms "registered" and "members" within Nabble. They have different and specific meanings.)

You might want to look take a look my forum at:
http://www.seahawk17.org.uk/forum.htm
What you see there is an example of Nabble's "Mixed" application.
In the sub-forum "Announcements and FAQs", to which only I can post (I set the User Permissions for that sub-forum so that only those in the "Administrator" group can post), there are a number of pinned topics including what you might call my "house rules" at:
http://seahawk-forum.968426.n3.nabble.com/Registering-Membership-and-Posting-Rights-tp1628920.html

The "Introduce" Yourself" sub-forum is an example of a sub-forum where every post in pinned, to keep user's posts in alphabetical order. It also explains again the information in the Membership FAQ.

You will also see most areas of the forum use the Description fields to contain general "rules", "guidance" and "instructions" about how posting needs to be conducted in that area. The SeaHawk forum could, perhaps, provide inspiration for the way to build your own forum.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more.

Generally, I'd recommend you break your questions into separate topics with appropriate subject lines. This makes it easier for those who come later with similar questions to find the answers on the forum. As it is we're drifting significantly from the "Embed forum in Weebly Website" subject this topic shows at the moment.

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

Hello Greg

You are far too modest, I think your response answers more questions for us “Newbies” than anything I’ve seen before. It may be very easy for you guys/gals who do this all the time, but for us First Timers it is a daunting challenge to even start.

Your help is invaluable. Well done.

Was very impressed with your own site, so you will be hearing from me again, just have to sort through all the info you have sent.

Thanks

[...]

http://support.nabble.com/Embed-forum-in-Weebly-Website-tp7594692p7594935.html

To unsubscribe from Embed forum in Weebly Website, click here.
NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

E Cig Select

Hi Greg

I am just about to go live with my site. I have published it but it is blocked to view by a Password. I would like you to view the site and then I can clarify a few minor irritants I still have. I do not wish to include the password in my message for obvious reasons. Can you contact me direct with your private Email address so I can advise you of the password.

Thanks

Terry

NAML

RE: Embed forum in Weebly Website

GregChapman
E Cig Select wrote
I am just about to go live with my site. I have published it but it is
blocked to view by a Password. I would like you to view the site and then I
can clarify a few minor irritants I still have.
I have emailed, as requested.