Admin Change Email without email confirmation?

Admin Change Email without email confirmation?

Coleen_Astalos
We already have a mod to our forum that allows the ADMIN to change an email address for a user.  However, the user still has to confirm the email address by clicking on the link in the email and logging into the forum with the OLD email address.

This is very confusing for our members (they are NOT computer literate people).  They think just clicking on the link is all they have to do.   The link takes them to the forum to login to complete the action, but they try to login with the new email address - which doesn't work yet, so they get confused and frustrated that the email change hasn't happened.

Is there any way we can bypass this confirmation step so that we can just change the email address directly for our members and save them the confirmation frustration?

Thanks,
Coleen

Re: Admin Change Email without email confirmation?

GregChapman
Hi Coleen,

You might be interested in this post:
http://support.nabble.com/Bug-Report-Change-of-Address-by-Administrator-td7596650.html

Re: Admin Change Email without email confirmation?

Hugo <Nabble>
I just checked the code and the link in the confirmation email doesn't require the user to be logged in. The new email is confirmed once that link is opened. That code is in java and is part of the Nabble core, so it doesn't depend on the customizations of the forum.

Re: Admin Change Email without email confirmation?

Coleen_Astalos
Thanks.  I did a test and confirmed that the address is changing just with clicking the link in the email.
I also confirmed that I do not have any custom code for this in my Nabble - so I am using the base Nabble for the email address change.

I did see the same error message that Greg mentions here: http://support.nabble.com/Bug-Report-Change-of-Address-by-Administrator-td7596650.html  when I logged into Nabble (with my admin account) from the same browser screen that had come up confirming the address change.

So I did another test doing it as  member to see what they get.  Here is the scenario:
1) Login with the email account I wish to change (as a member)
2) Change email address under my profile (as a member).
3) Logout of Nabble
4) Click on link in email to confirm address change - presented with confirmation of email address change page
5) Click on link in the upper right hand corner to "Login" from that page
6) Login with new email address
7) Immediately after login, presented with the message:
Change Email Confirmation
We were unable to change your email address.
Please try changing your email again or go back to menu.
I did NOT click on the link in the email more than once.  (BTW, if I click on the link to "Return to Profile" and login that way, I do not get the error message).

The email change does happen, but as Greg mentions, it is confusing for members as they just got the confirmation that says it happened, but then when they login, they get the message that says it didn't happen.

Coleen