Name changing

Harvey
I'd like to be the only one who can change someones screenname.

Somebody figured out that it's easy to do and now it's getting crazy with people changing their names.

Re: Name changing

Pedro
Which name exactly are you talking about? Username? Post's title?

Re: Name changing

Harvey

Yes usernames.

(via mobile)

On Dec 4, 2012 5:27 PM, "Pedro &lt;Nabble&gt; [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Which name exactly are you talking about? Username? Post's title?

http://support.nabble.com/Name-changing-tp7582163p7582165.html
To unsubscribe from Name changing, click here.
NAML

Re: Name changing

Pedro
For a quick solution I could delete the "Edit Personal Information"option from standard users, so they wouldn't be able to edit their password and other informations too. What do you think?

Re: Name changing

Harvey

Seems like too much.

Cant make name change an admin function?

(via mobile)

On Dec 4, 2012 5:52 PM, "Pedro &lt;Nabble&gt; [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
For a quick solution I could delete the "Edit Personal Information"option from standard users, so they wouldn't be able to edit their password and other informations too. What do you think?

http://support.nabble.com/Name-changing-tp7582163p7582167.html
To unsubscribe from Name changing, click here.
NAML

Re: Name changing

Hugo <Nabble>
I think this is a very strange request. I have never seen a forum that doesn't allow you to change your user name. I think users should have this freedom. The point is that good users wouldn't normally abuse this feature. What kind of issues do you have with those names? I am sure good users don't want bad names associated with their accounts.

Re: Name changing

Harvey
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
I think this is a very strange request. I have never seen a forum that doesn't allow you to change your user name. I think users should have this freedom. The point is that good users wouldn't normally abuse this feature. What kind of issues do you have with those names? I am sure good users don't want bad names associated with their accounts.
That's the key = good users.

The forums I've been a member of would require you to join with a new email address to have a new name. Essentially you can't change your existing name.  I'm a member of a forum where I inadvertently had a typo in my user name. I emailed the admin and asked him to fix it. He did. That was it.

Forum admins can work incredibly hard to build something of value.  It's frustrating to give away control to those who aren't concerned with your investment (of time), who'd like to screw things up for laughs.

My goal is to have a quality forum that requires a minimum of moderation.  Let's say I post 3x a day, and change my name once a day for a month.  And say of those 90 posts I made in a month 20 of them are "quoted."  What you have is a mess.

If that was your forum what would you do? Ban the person? That seems heavy handed. The point is to create a structure that leads to community and conversation. Not moderation.

The reason you require registration is so that people can be identified. Otherwise just let everyone be anonymous.  If I post anonymously I never have to take any responsibility for what I say.

What do you think is a reasonable number of times a user should be able to change his name? If they exceed that number what would you do as a moderator?

Re: Name changing

Pedro
Tomorrow, there will be a release that covers your issue. I will explain it better after it has been released.

Re: Name changing

Harvey
I want to understand your point of view before you release this. If you think I am wrong help me understand.

I'm curious if you are just giving me what I want of if you think we are solving a real problem.

Also let me know your solution before you do it.

Thanks guys.

http://support.nabble.com/Name-changing-tp7582163p7582185.html

--
"Like" us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NYSkiBlog
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nyskiblog

Re: Name changing

Hugo <Nabble>
Harvey, your explanation of the problem makes sense and convinced me that this can be useful in some cases.  The easiest solution we have is to use CSS to hide the user name editor and leave the other controls available (change email and password). Pedro should give you more instructions later.

Re: Name changing

Harvey
Would there be some way to change a name?

I guess I'd have to undo the css, let the person make the change and then put it back?

Re: Name changing

Pedro
Harvey44 wrote
I guess I'd have to undo the css, let the person make the change and then put it back?
Yes.

Re: Name changing

Harvey
Can you make this happen now? Its becoming a real problem.

Re: Name changing

Pedro
Yes. I'll let you know when I finish it.

Re: Name changing

Pedro
It's working now. I've changed your CSS code. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Re: Name changing

Harvey

I will look.

Can you show me the piece of css so i can remove if j need too?

(via mobile)

On Dec 11, 2012 12:13 PM, "Pedro &lt;Nabble&gt; [via Nabble Support]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's working now. I've changed your CSS code. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

http://support.nabble.com/Name-changing-tp7582163p7582284.html
To unsubscribe from Name changing, click here.
NAML

Re: Name changing

I found it thanks.

I'd like to remove the words "and user name" from the description of  "edit personal information."

Re: Name changing

It is this one:
/* remove this block to able the user name field */
#username-field{
display: none;
}

Re: Name changing