when posting, how can comment be shortened..

when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
Hello,

as far as the newspaper lay out on 1st page, how can we shorten each comment with a, see or read more, etc. after a short intro?

thank you, kara

     patches` +  pockets` everywhere are linking,  good folks are building this network by coming together eye to eye sharing their bi`joy experiences of what works.

       come talk..

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

GregChapman
By default Nabble uses the first 300 characters of a newspaper post to create the summary shown on the main News page. However you can create a custom summary of whatever size you choose, if you go to:

Options > Application > Extras & Add-ons > Content > Custom summary for Newspaper

There are instructions on how to use the facility by the option.

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
Greg,

i tried going into options but don't see what you said should be their.

are you saying once i find this i can do this to any of my posts as administrator, as well  others to shorten them that come up on front page as well in a subcategorie?

thanks, kara

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

GregChapman
Hi Kara,

our combined`effect wrote
i tried going into options but don't see what you said should be their.
You do need to be logged in as an administrator. How many of the list of options I gave can you navigate to?
are you saying once i find this i can do this to any of my posts as administrator, as well  others to shorten them that come up on front page as well in a subcategorie?
Yes! Once that option is turned on, then on any news story you can edit, you will be able to add the {summary_start} and {summary_end} tags to control the text shown on the front page of your newspaper application. To edit other people's posts you need to turn on the special permission at:

Options > Users > Change Permissions > Edit_all

(It's a permission only available to Administrators)

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
Thank you,

i see my mistake, i went into options of the post.

you folks have done a lot of nice work!

good day, kara

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
Ok , still having an issue;

i see on 1st page i can go into options>application>extras .... but my post was done under a subcatagorie that does not give me these options under options.

   what comes up under options is; edit name + description.. change application type.. mailing list archive settings..change title + meta tags..

+ when i try to change + add {summary_start} + same with end, it comes up with a 500 error.

could this be that my subcatagories are not set to match parent, maybe you can run thru that mode, or tell me what i did wrong. + if this is the issue setting all subcatagories to do as ist page, is it possible to just write in the summary start + end, or do i have to set each option for each subcategorie seperately.

or do i set each post option seperately??

for when i add the summarys, the words just show in the post. the function of hiding text does not work.

also when we resolve this, should i delete these questions, i could leave some if i have the choice to be helpful for others, + delete some not pertinent. please give me your feedback on this.

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

GregChapman
I did some tests and I am having the same issue on nested Newspapers. I think there may be a bug in Nabble's code. We'll have to await some feedback from one of the Nabble team.

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
Hi,

i see on my forum, some subcategories have read more, + i did not do anything, so have you fixed it + can you please tell me how i can do t my front page, newspaper mode + others if different.

thank you, kara

     patches` +  pockets` everywhere are linking,  good folks are building this network by coming together eye to eye sharing their bi`joy experiences of what works.

       come talk..

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

Pedro
I'm making some tests here.

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
Pedro,

how is testing going? do you think i should change the format so it is not newspaper lay out on front page? could that be why the read more is coming up on the subcategories? i guess i could just have comments come up only in subcategories + not on 1st page. it would be better then the lengthy comments, unless you can figure it out.

i just don't want to rush you or have you over work because of the way i chose it, so please set me straight + i can adjust.

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
not trying to rush you, i just wanted to know if i should rethink this??

like should i remove all on 1st page back to subcategory`s only, which i would have to change structure?? i don't mind rethinking all this if you are just too busy.

how long do you expect before you would get an answer, aprox?

so i can make a note to all, for first page is too inconvenient to go thru all.

happy day, kara

                        `i come to talk story

I guess I didn't understand. Do you want all posts in the first page with the same size and a "read more" link in the bottom of each?

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
thank you for addressing this issue.

is this something i determine with each post as a moderator? or can it be set so all posts have a headline + one can choose to read more. is it then the subject headline only that is visible.

i see this done sparaticly thruout forum, i would like it all for easy reviewing.

i realize i could change my format to display this, but can i keep my exisiting + do a `read more for all?

please tell me did you fix the bug, so i can then go in + set this in parent to happen thruout, or must i set it for each subcategory? or is it now changed from what you told me to do before you recognized a bug?

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

Pedro
Try to change your application type to "News", I think it will fit perfect for you.
Options -> Application -> Change application type

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
thank you Pedro,

i went in to change it, it was on blog, when i changed to news, an erro 500 server error page came up. now i cannot get into sight at all, tells me same error 500 server error.

please confirm when can what i should do.

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

Pedro
I've turned it back to Blog while I'm investigating what happened.

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

Could you try this:
go to Change appearance -> Preferences -> restore default
Then, try to change to News again.

The problem is that the your setting of quantity of topics per app is too high, let's try the default and see what happens.

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
thanks Pedro,

much better! plus i need to explore these other options you awaken me to.

good day, kara

                        `i come to talk story

Re: when posting, how can comment be shortened..

our combined `effect
Hello,

i've managed to go to every subcategory + reset the application to news to condense ` read more, in comments, accept again, the `plan subcategory gave me an error 500. so can you please reset to blog, so then do i do the same as you suggested before;

    change appearance, preference, resotre default, change to news??

please confirm,

thank you, kara

     patches` +  pockets` everywhere are linking,  good folks are building this network by coming together eye to eye sharing their bi`joy experiences of what works.

       come talk..

                        `i come to talk story
12