show hidden email

whyphilip
How do I see a hidden email? I'm logged into Nabble and subscribed to the group, so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to see it. If I subscribed directly via email I would. This isn't a person's email, either, it was a list email given to me as an answer to a question. Therefore hiding it makes it worthless. Any way I can get that particular message emailed to me intact?

Thank you,
Philip

Re: show hidden email

GregChapman
There's no need to see an address, if you are reading it via the Nabble. You just click on the "Hidden email" link and you'll be taken to a screen where you can send an email to that address. (In those circumstances your address will be revealed to the recipient and you can carry on communicating via email.)

You forget that Nabble is public and is spidered by search engines and others with less honourable motives, so it is important to cloak any email address to prevent the address being harvested by spammers and other evil folk.

Email can't be spidered in the same way. People who use mail lists reveal their own address and are therefore traceable so there is not the same risk. This is why it is acceptable not to cloak address in email. Indeed it is against Internet protocols. These require that not just return addresses is included in (normally hidden) header lines, but also the entire delivery route the message took to reach you, and much more (such as the precise brand and version of the software you use to write your email).

Re: show hidden email

whyphilip
No, I do understand why emails are hidden by default, I've been around the Internet for a while now. But again, I'm not requesting any info I couldn't get if I had just subscribed to the list without Nabble as an intermediary. This was a direct reply to a message I sent through Nabble.

More importantly, this is one of those cases where the email address is the name of a mailing list that I need to investigate/search - not send an email to. It sounds like Nabble just won't work in this case and I should have subscribed directly. I'll do so in the future.

Re: show hidden email

sunkurt
I subscribed to the roboticsworldwide mailing list under Nabble.
Many of the job posting there, will provide an email that we can contact. But the page provided by Nabble does not have options for attachment. In that case, how can I send the required documents to the person?

Is there a way to see the hidden email? That does cause some problems, for sometimes the person may not leave his academic email for the job applications...

Looking forward to your reply!

Re: show hidden email

GregChapman
As you say, Nabble does not provide a way to attach files on the post email screen. If you want to continue using the Nabble archive of the list your only options are to:

• await a reply to an initial email so you then have the recipients address so you can then email the required attachments or
• upload the files that need to be seen by the recipient somewhere on the net and include the URL in your message

If those options are not acceptable or possible you will have to subscribe to the main list.

Re: show hidden email

sunkurt
Hi, Greg,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Thanks to your clarification as well. In that case I guess the two points might be the only solutions.

Btw, what do you mean by "subscribe to the main list" ... I am afraid I did not get that part.

Best, Kurt

Re: show hidden email

GregChapman
Hi Kurt,

As its name suggests a "mail list" is a list of addresses to which an email can be sent. Mail list technology on the Internet pre-dates the world wide web by a good margin.

While it is practical for an individual to Cc: an email to a small group of addresses and everyone in the group maintain the list of those who want to be included, if the list becomes popular then it becomes impractical, or impossible, for the list to be maintained accurately by all in the group.

As a result the Mail List server was invented, a program that maintains a database of addresses. To add your address to the database you would send an email to the server using a special "subscribe" address and similarly, you'd use an "unsubscribe" address to leave the group. After subscribing any message sent to the main mail list address would be distributed to all other subscribers.

The problem with a mail list is that a new subscriber cannot see past messages. This often led to long standing subscribers receiving messages asking the same questions over and over again, so it became popular for list managers to issue monthly mailings containing rules of conduct for subscribers and answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" (the origin of the term "FAQ" on the Internet).

With the development of the world wide web another solution to the FAQ problem was to create a site that displayed past postings. Nabble provides such a service and this is useful for those mail list servers that still don't offer a convenient way to inspect old messages posted on the list.

I assume you are talking about the Nabble "forum" at:
http://robotics-worldwide.1046236.n5.nabble.com/

If you read the top of the page there it says:

That last address takes you to a page where you can subscribe to the actual list on the web, rather than using a special email address. Visit the archives link on that page and you'll understand why an archive facility like Nabble is so useful.

Note that only by subscribing to the real list will any post you make at the Nabble archive be forwarded to the real list and then appear on the Nabble archive for all to see. One mail list FAQ you see on this forum is where people have not subscribed to the main/real list and ask why Nabble is holding their post as "pending".

Re: show hidden email

sunkurt
Hi, Greg,

I got it! I see. I did subscribe to the mailing list, but choose daily digest rather than individual email notifications. So I never really  check the messages there, often I come the Nabble forum to check directly. I thought the information will be the same here. lol

Thanks for your clarification! That helps a lot!

Best Regards,
Kurt

Re: show hidden email

unbelover
PLEASE note hidden email is ofetn a spam. even if you open it, do not open the attachment, even if it comes from your contacts: scammers crack mails and send message to all contacts with ransomware attached. That is how the vvv encryption occurs . deataled description follows http://nabzsoftware.com/types-of-threats/vvv-file

Re: show hidden email

newStimulus
hi! I understand that this thread is old, but! in such cases, never open the email!!! Use this program for blocking malware http://sureshotsoftware.com/guides/cerber-help-help-help/

Re: show hidden email