separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

donharrison
This post was updated on .
Hi Nabble,

l want to set 2 levels of my forum, presumably via "permissions.

level 1 is open to view by "anyone" and they will see 6 of the 8 sub-forums
level2 is for "members" and they can view,edit & post in all 8 of the 8 sub-forums.

l've tried in permissions, and sofar all l can do is acheive level 1 but not level 2.

here's a diagram of what l'm trying to do:

cheers Don.
fishingwesternport

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Hugo <Nabble>
So you want to "hide" the "Your fishing reports" sub-forum from users that are not members, right? In other words, only members can see the "Your fishing reports" sub-forum on the front page of the forum. Is this correct? Please confirm.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

donharrison
yes - that's it!

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Hugo <Nabble>
Okay, I understand what you want and I have another question now. I just looked at your forum and I see that it currently uses the MIXED type. Do you plan to continue using that type? If yes, then the idea is to hide the entire "Your fishing reports" section (including topic subjects) from the front page, correct? We also have to think about the "Topics View" link on the page, which goes to a page where all topics are displayed in a flat list. The main problem we have right now is that these pages are cached, so showing different contents to each user is hard. While I wait for your confirmation, I will think about the solution and soon I will reply back with an answer. Please let me know if you have other questions, comments or concerns.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

donharrison
happy to lose the flat view, as l like the topics view so visitors scroll down the page and see the post's in each sub-forum, rather than just the current popular topics...

On 2 September 2011 14:44, Hugo <Nabble> [via Nabble Support] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, I understand what you want and I have another question now. I just looked at your forum and I see that it currently uses the MIXED type. Do you plan to continue using that type? If yes, then the idea is to hide the entire "Your fishing reports" section (including topic subjects) from the front page, correct? We also have to think about the "Topics View" link on the page, which goes to a page where all topics are displayed in a flat list. The main problem we have right now is that these pages are cached, so showing different contents to each user is hard. While I wait for your confirmation, I will think about the solution and soon I will reply back with an answer. Please let me know if you have other questions, comments or concerns.
Official Nabble Administrator - we never ask for passwords.

http://nabble-support.1.n2.nabble.com/separating-which-sub-forums-can-be-viewed-by-anyone-members-tp6752233p6752709.html
To unsubscribe from separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members"", click here.

--
cheers Don.

mail: [hidden email]
site:  www.fishingwesternport.com

mail: [hidden email]
site:  www.fishingwesternport.com

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Hi Hugo,

Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Okay, I understand what you want and I have another question now. I just looked at your forum and I see that it currently uses the MIXED type. Do you plan to continue using that type? If yes, then the idea is to hide the entire "Your fishing reports" section (including topic subjects) from the front page, correct? We also have to think about the "Topics View" link on the page, which goes to a page where all topics are displayed in a flat list. The main problem we have right now is that these pages are cached, so showing different contents to each user is hard. While I wait for your confirmation, I will think about the solution and soon I will reply back with an answer. Please let me know if you have other questions, comments or concerns.
You may recall that I made a similar request for one of my MIXED forums shortly after discovering Nabble and recall that you said then that it was the cached nature of some of the screens that made the task difficult.

In my case I wanted a "Moderated Posts" sub-forum that would only be visible to "Admin" users, and would be where moderators would move a suspect post and discuss how to handle it (perhaps later moving it back to its initial sub-forum).

In my case I still wanted access to the "Topics View" page with posts to the "Moderated Posts" sub-forum hidden from "anyone" and "registered" users.

It seems that Don's request is very similar and I suspect is not unusual. In considering the issue, I would be grateful of you would give thought to a general solution to this issue, and not just a personal one for Don.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Hugo <Nabble>
I agree, Greg. I am looking for a generic solution.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Peter <Nabble>
This is not a simple request. We are looking for a way to get this done yet and it may take a week or two to implement the solution.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

donharrison
thanks guy's
l do acknowledge & appreciate the time & effort with this request.
and l think the solution, if found, may benefit many who want to
provide - member/ admin only access  - to areas within an open forum.

cheers Don.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

donharrison
Hugo <Nabble> wrote
Please let me know if you have other questions, comments or concerns.
l guess we would also have to consider "subscribers"  in this?
so non members who are subscribers, would only receive copies of post's from the open
sub-forums, not the members sub-forum(s) yeah?
or have l miss-understood how the subscriber button works?

cheers Don.

You mean that only those who are able to see the sub-forum should be able to receive those messages by subscription, right?
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

GregChapman
Yes!

I wouldn't want subscribers at the root level, seeing the moderators private discussions.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Hugo <Nabble>
Don't worry about subscribers. For each message Nabble sends, it checks "can this user view this message?". So the message is only sent if the answer is "true". The problem we will have to face is related only to the cached pages.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

I have a few alternative solutions that I want to discuss with you guys. The possible solutions I see are:

A) We could keep the app pages uncached. In other words, each visit to an app page would force the system to read the data from the database and build the HTML from scratch. So the system would build the page based on what the user can view. This would make the site a bit slower, but this shouldn't be an issue if the app isn't so big (e.g., more than 5,000 topics) or heavily visited.

B) Another option is to load the private information with javascript/Ajax. This makes more sense for the MIXED view, where each section is independent of the other. Thus the system would load private subapps with javascript if the user has privileges to view that subapp. For the TOPICS view, the whole table and pagination would have to be retrieved with AJAX and this isn't a good idea. Option A above (no cache) would be better for the TOPICS view.

C) Another option is to continue showing the public information by default on the main cached page, but show a special link to users that can view private/hidden information. The link would go to a page that is not cached and would list everything the user can view.

There is a fourth option that is the best in term of implementation, but this is too much work and we just don't have time for it now. So I would like to hear from you guys what you think about these three options above and we will work on the solution.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Thanks for considering this one. I can see that it's not a straight forward matter to decide for all cases.

As you mention a "best" option, that presumably answers just about all the "ifs and buts", I'm going to answer on a more personal and immediate basis and presume that Option Four can be offered when server load begins to make it a priority, or speed issues cause a demand for it from users.

I go for -A- for these reasons:

# Even my busiest forum has only some 5000 views currently, and is not likely to reach 5000 topics any time soon, so forum speed shouldn't become an issue.

# I feel topics view to be an important feature allowing you to see recent posts anywhere in the mixed view, and this seems to write off -B-.

# I would prefer access to appear seamless for "high level" users with "private" areas accessible to them without special links being used.

Sorry, it seems to produce a split vote!

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

donharrison
fair enough, however the way l see it, A is a change that affects everyone,
where as C, is a link to another page, with the forum left as it is. (if l'm understanding it correctly)

l was considering a 2nd domain, and having it set as members only with a link from the current domain.
but how l'd move stuff over & keep members post count across 2 domains, was doing my head in...

so l'll let you guy's agree on what is best, as l'm a newbie to most of this stuff.

cheers Don.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Hugo <Nabble>
Thanks for the feedback. We are working on this and soon I should have something to show to you guys.

Re: separating which sub- forums can be viewed by "anyone" & "members""

Hugo <Nabble>
We are still working on this. Please give us a few more days.
12