registering a domain thru Nabble.. + how to publish.

registering a domain thru Nabble.. + how to publish.

our combined `effect
Hi

i see where Nabble can be a default url or i can customize my already registered domain thru my other web host, thru Nabble.

my objective is to no longer have my other web host + just publish my Nabbles forum thru Nabble (yet to define how - either templates or just publish forum - correct? that is my choice now?)

please tell me how or where i get these directions to publish forum thru Nabble.

so please confirm can i pay Nabble to register a domain name. tell me how. or is that what Nabbles default url is - if not please explain what this is. or do i have to go elsewhere to obtain a domain name + pay each year.

if i can get a domain name thru Nabble only, then can i customize differently a few, Ex: i have 5 workshops + when folks respond to each one, i could put a email box with a different customized url for each, or link? so that when i receive an email i know which workshop it is coming from because it is stated.

                  EX: i presently have an email service with these 5 entities. but if i change email to only 1 email, then i would still like to identify the email source before opening it.  i get a lot of scams, so this helps me plus it helps my commenters to focus on particular subject matter + then get answered.

so imagine as in your Nabble support if looked at your emails + saw all tomatoe intity, then a tomato skilled person could answer see.

if this makes sense to you, maybe you have a better suggestion for simplicity.

thank you, kara

     patches` +  pockets` everywhere are linking,  good folks are building this network by coming together eye to eye sharing their bi`joy experiences of what works.

       come talk..

                        `i come to talk story

Re: registering a domain thru Nabble.. + how to publish.

Peter <Nabble>
Nabble is not a registrar (organization that provides domain names). You should buy it somewhere else and then use it on Nabble's forum configuration so your domain name will return your forum.

For now we have forums, galleries, mailing lists, blog and news and in a very near future we will make available the template feature so you can customize your site the way you want. If you want to turn your forum into a portal, you can do it. All you will have to do is tweak the code a little bit. More details will be available when it is released.

I think you can do what you want with subforums or topics but I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.
Nabble staff. We never ask for passwords.

how to publish thru Nabble without a template..

our combined `effect
thanks Peter,

let me try again.

do I need a web host to embed Nabble forum? as in a text editor such as kompozer which i was working at to make an html page + then embed Nabble + host thru my prior web host Gaia which i like.

but Hugo suggested Nabble can do with out a web host or html page, if i understood right. after thinking about it, I'm trying to not waste any ones time with my lack of tech ability. so if i can simplify + publish to the www my forum thru Nabble only, then that seems most efficient.

so if i understand right please tell me how to do just this, once finish editing..

then I can convert my web proposed pages that i had developed on kompozer, which is a nice tool also, to edit on Nabble forum only, even without templates. as well then no need to pay for Gaia web host, when I can support Nabble more + in return have technical issues minimized.

then i will pay for a domain thru? + be up + running once i finish editing my nabbles forum.

please set me straight.. + thank you, kara

     patches` +  pockets` everywhere are linking,  good folks are building this network by coming together eye to eye sharing their bi`joy experiences of what works.

       come talk..

                        `i come to talk story

Re: how to publish thru Nabble without a template..

GregChapman
our combined`effect wrote
do I need a web host to embed Nabble forum?
Yes! but not for your Nabble application, only for the site into which you are going to embed it. Any Nabble application is hosted by Nabble itself.
as in a text editor such as kompozer which i was working at to make an html page
You are very confused. KompoZer, as you suggest, is a web page editor. You would normally use it to create your page with it on your local computer and then upload that page to a host. KompoZer, or any text editor, has nothing to do with arranging either a host or a domain name. It is just what you create your site with. You then use an FTP program to upload it to your host. A Nabble application does not need uploading as it is already hosted by Nabble.
+ then embed Nabble + host thru my prior web host Gaia which i like.
Again confusion!

When you create a page on your site, using Kompozer, you probably will add some images. When you do that all that gets inserted is some code that tells the browser where to find the image. You don't physically add the image to the page. You will probably intend that the image will be found on your host's computer and you have to upload both the page and the image to it. However, that image could be anywhere on the Internet. It is similar with a Nabble forum. All you are doing when you "embed" it is add a short piece of code to your page which tells the browser to insert the forum at this point on the page. When the browser sees that code it goes to the Nabble computers to fetch it and show it within your page.
but Hugo suggested Nabble can do with out a web host or html page
He did, because you don't need a page page in which to embed it. This very forum is NOT embedded in a page. Nor is this one:
http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/
but it has been made to look quite pretty by using Nabble's "CHANGE APPEARANCE" facilities.
if i can simplify + publish to the www my forum thru Nabble only, then that seems most efficient. so if i understand right please tell me how to do just this, once finish editing.
You just use the facility at: OPTIONS > EDITOR > CHANGE DOMAIN NAME and follow the instructions there.

As you say, you don't need a host. You don't even need a domain name to get your forum on the web, but without one you have to use the difficult to remember address that Nabble gives you. You only need a host and a page in which to embed your forum if you want to add extra stuff to your forum that can't be done by Nabble's customising facilities.

For instance, I have a forum at:
http://www.seahawk17.plus.com/forum.htm
That forum is embedded because I also want the visitor to the forum to be able to access all the other pages on the site and those pages can't be created in exactly the way I want using just Nabble's applications. (Incidentally, that site was created using KompoZer, an excellent tool!)

Re: how to publish thru Nabble without a template..

our combined `effect
thank you Greg,

to set it straight, i understand what you said, i was confused not at what you clarify but due to not yet understanding how to go into options + choose what you now say is my choices. + now that i choose to not use a text editor, such as kompozer now, whom is very good, or choose another web host such as Gaia guys who are great, i will use Nabble only + thankful for their progress..

good going Nabble for all your hard work! many thanks..

i'm awaiting one to find my forum, then i will try to understand the option setting to use just Nabble + or continue with my domain registered.

thanks again for lessons + nice web page Greg yourself, kara