problem with security certificate with nabble forum

problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
hi
my nabble forum says that the connection is not secure, as does this support forum
2017-03-24_(3).png
2017-03-24_(2).png

please help, thank you.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

geofredo soleado
Have seen this elsewhere, on a different forum.

It is not a Nabble issue as such, more of a browser issue, the one l saw was on Firefox.

Try a different browser, and your may find the padlock is not there.

In any case,it is a warning, it in no way some sort of big issue where sensitive information is compromised and l don't think is a thing to lose sleep over.

I would suggest posting a link to your forum, so that others can test,rather than a screenshot .

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

geofredo soleado
Have just located your forum, am on chrome, on a tablet, no padlock.

Screenshot

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
thanks for the reply, the odd thing is, its a new problem, all was fine until a few days ago, but now my members do not want to sign in, as they think the site is unsafe.
i am not to confident either, and if the problem continues will have no choice but to close it down.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

geofredo soleado
This post was updated on .
Firefox did a recent update, that may be the problem.

You haven't said if you use Firefox or have tried another browser.

The site is safe.

You and your members just need to try a different browser and then report back.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

GregChapman
I think the answer to the issue is here:
http://support.nabble.com/HTTPS-SSL-urgent-tp7594627p7594635.html

Personally, like Hugo, I don't see the problem with a lack of https. What it provides is encryption of traffic in transit, but generally people accept a lack of encryption in email while in transit, so why not on a forum. Your email is secure only while on a server, protected by passwords, etc. A Nabble forum is the same.

If your forum discusses topics that requires greater privacy for your users then I do wonder exactly what it is that the users have to hide.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
its not about hiding information, its about ensuring my clients feel safe using the site, and when the site warns it is unsafe, its disconcerting, we only talk about stocks and issues related to them, but people need to feel they are not being hacked, and with the situation as it is, i can not give them any confidence.
here is a message from one of my members
"but it's still warning . . . unsafe connection ? You sure it's ok ? "

i use firefox, and that does seem to be the problem, there are no warnings with I.E., but that does not solve the issue, as firefox is a popular browser.

i do appreciate the answers and help, but it looks like i will have to migrate to a different forum provider unless the issue is resolved.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

geofredo soleado
Honestly, there is nothing l would have thought for Nabble to resolve.

As l keep sayimg it is a Firefox issue, who is to say if you migrate to another forum provide the same thing will not happen?

Talk to Firefox,their security seems to be a bit higher than other browsers, then perhaps come back and say how it went?

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
the same issue is present here on this support forum, i doubt very much that firefox will have any interest in helping me, i have checked another forum plug in provider (MyBB) and there is no security issue with their site when using firefox.

oh well, it seems you guys that are tech savy see no issue in this, but the users of my forum including myself do.

they have no reason to trust me above what their browser is telling them, here is another message from a user

"Are you sure that it is safe now?

Recently scammed on Bitbargain and lost 3 bitcoins, so am very worried "

nothing i say will change their view, and the longer this continues, the less likely they are to remain members.
looks like migration is my only option.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Coleen_Astalos
If we have have a custom domain name and get a SSL certificate for that domain name, will that help resolve this problem?

Today, we just switched our entire WordPress site to SSL and our Nabble Forum is embedded as a page on our WordPress site.  Initially it wouldn't load the insecure content at all.  Now I somehow have managed to get it to load the forum without SSL - but when members try to login there, it'll give them the "insecure login" message.

With the recent change to Firefox and overall web security in general, my users are leery about signing into an unsecured site.  Our payment pages are secure, but that isn't good enough for many people these days.

Thanks for any help/insight.
Coleen

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

geofredo soleado
This post was updated on .
Since yesterday, l have looked at pro-bord forums, they are" not secure",yet are contributed daily by thousands of people world-wide,without any problem.

Nabble is the same

Also looked at the stockbuds forum, to see what was so sensitive, it is not discussing stocks in the financial sense but seems to be discussing stocks in cannabis and marijuana, happy to be put right on that,if wrong.Perhaps that is the sensitive issue?
Also has  about 3 active members, the rest say little ,most have contributed nothing.
Have no idea where or what the Bitcoins comment has to do with this, unless someone revealed something they should not have

If this is looked at logically, nothing has changed, all sites were fine before the Firefox uplate a week or so ago,so all is fine now.

Nobody with any sense would post financial info on an open forum anyway,that might be the only issue.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
you just dont seem to be getting it at all.

nothing on the forum is illegal, or sensitive, its just stocks, mostly biotech, or with a medical slant, its just THE growth industry, OK?, we dont care like you seem to do that it is cannabis....all the stocks are perfectly legal, that is not the issue, though as you keep mentioning it, it clearly is to you..

as for the number of users and the amount of posts, really its none of your business, the forum is new, has 50 + members, and was set up for just a few of us, again not really your business or in the slightest even relevant to my query

The issue is simply the fact that firefox tells anyone that access the forum that it is not secure, and that information which could easily include passwords is at risk of being compromised.
Its pretty simple really, all the sites i visited have a green padlock, nabble does not, hence my need to migrate which i will do when i have time.
thank you for your help, but MyBB just seem more professional in that they take this security issue more seriously, as they dont have the same problem.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
you are also wrong about nabble being the same as other 'pro-bord' (sic) forums
when you log into them you are not warned with a pop that the connection is not secure, when you try to log in to nabble forums you do get a pop up, so no one will sign in, its really simple, when a browser tells you the connection is not secure its pretty normal for people to be wary, i am one of those people and so are my members

stocktwits is probably the most popular/active  BB for stocks, and though there are warnings about images not being secure, it does not mean that passwords are vulnerable, and no warnings are given when you log in at all.

however as your focus seems to be about deriding the content of my site which is actually irrelevant to the issue i feel i am totally wasting my time with the so called support here. it really is poor, and so is nabble, it has been a total waste of my time and money now.

i would advise others with the same issue to migrate to a better supported forum provider.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

geofredo soleado
This post was updated on .
No Mister ,your are wrong,if your go onto a proboards forum,click on the small info icon next to the domain name it tells you it is insecure and about passwords etc.

As regards Nabble support you have to pay a premium for full support,on free support usually you just get answers from  other Nabble forum users just trying to help.

As regards time and money, what has this actually cost you?

Don't bother to answer ,the question is rhetorical.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
you seem unable to read posts, and just fling out total rubbish in your responses.
I am a member of stocktwits, and there is no  warning about connection security when you log on, after logging on in the info it tells you images may not be secure, this is totally different to the issue you seem unable to understand, perhaps due to some prejudice on your part that seems apparent.

i have paid to remove adverts, and spent time setting up the forum.

it is a waste of my time and money due to the security issue which  no one here seems able to solve.

as others also have the same problem, including a member here above in this thread, it does appear to be an issue for some people, security generally is these days.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

geofredo soleado
Last word, because can't be bothered anymore,

Read this?

http://support.nabble.com/What-does-it-cost-to-remove-ads-td7597786.html

Ask for a refund.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Micky
I got the same problem. Doesn't look good- puts the wind up people. Makes them bounce immediately.  They think they are going to get robbed or hacked etc  I'm only new to it all but I can understand peoples concern. It serves traffic like a bad job reference.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Kingskin
thank you, it is definitely not just me, no one will log on any more, except for one friend who trusts me, its a joke.

the log-in at least should have a security certificate or whatever it needs just to make people feel safe, facebook seems a better option tbh.

Re: problem with security certificate with nabble forum

Micky
It's a pity because it's an otherwise such a cool fourm system, cant fault it apart from that quite important little issue abot having it secure.  My freinds are dubious about it too. I saw another post where another user came up with a cerificate solution.  If nabble could buy in to that at worse charge us all a little sum, just to solve the matter & cover the certificate costs perhaps it would keep us all happy. Where there is a will, there is a way!