prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Andrew Wilcox
Where do we configure the prefix for all message subject lines of a forum?

Thanks,

Andy

Re: prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Hugo <Nabble>
Hi Andrew,

Open your forum, then click on "Options > Mailing list settings". You should change the "Subject Prefix" configuration. Note that messages already archived won't be affected (we would have to run a script in the back-end to fix those). You can also enter "<auto detect prefix>" to let Nabble recognize the prefix automatically.

Regards,
Hugo Teixeira
Nabble.com

RE: prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Andrew Wilcox

Thanks Hugo, but I do not see ‘Mailing list settings’ in my ‘Options’ menu?

Andy

RE: prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Hugo <Nabble>
Is your forum a mailing list archive?
If not, what exactly are you trying to change and why?

RE: prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Andrew Wilcox
We imported a mailing list archive, but I believe it is now a regular forum.  What we are looking for is a way to add a prefix to the titles of the subscription emails.

RE: prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Graham Perrin
FWIW, one of three recommendations within an IETF request for comments:

There is widespread skepticism in the technical community that labels of any sort will be effective. Such labels should probably be avoided as ineffective at best.
<http://www.diigo.com/04qmv> for a highlighted view of <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4096>.

If users (of the Nabble forum) opt to subscribe to the forum, or any part thereof, via e-mail: will they be surprised by the absence of a
[xxx] prefix?

RE: prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Will <Nabble>
Andrew, we don't have this feature right now. But it is a common mailing list feature and it is useful to the email-only people. So, let me discuss this with the team to come up with a reasonable solution.

RE: prefix convention of adding "[xxx]" prefix to message subjects

Andrew Wilcox

OK thanks

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/prefix-convention-of-adding-%22-xxx-%22-prefix-to-message-subjects-tp2117529p2273884.html