post by email option is missing

Assaf
Hi,
I subscribed to the apache spark developer's list (http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/). I want to post by email but when I press options I only see the option to edit my subscription (and there is no post by email option). The only way I can post is through the web UI.

How do I enable post by email?

Thanks,
    Assaf

Re: post by email option is missing

The forum at http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/ is not a mail list but an archive of a mail list. It may be worth reading the Background paragraph at:
to understand what is going on.

You say you have "subscribed to the list". I suspect that you have used the link on the archive at:
Option > Subscribe via email
That simply requests that you receive posts arriving at the archive via email. It does not register you as a user of the archive (which would allow you to post to the archive - but doing that  does not mean your posts will be accepted by the mail list itself) nor does it subscribe you to the list itself.

If you wish to post to the original mail list via email then it would be best to follow the "more options" link in the archive description and subscribe direct to the mail list..

Re: post by email option is missing

Assaf
This post was updated on .
I unsubscribed and resubscribed to the list. I am now getting some of the emails twice, however, when I choose the options there is still  only the option to edit my subscription (and there is no post by email option). Is there a different link I need to access in order to get to the non archive forum and get the post email?

Is there something I am missing?

Re: post by email option is missing

If you are getting two copies of the emails it sounds as if you have subscribed to both the Nabble archive and the original list.

If that is the case one reason why you might not have a full set of duplicates is if some people are posting to the archive but are not subscribed to the list. Then the messages posted at the archive would get rejected by the list as being posted by a non-subscriber and you would not receive them via the list subcription

If you have not registered at the archive then you will only see the "Subscribe via email" link on the Options menu.  As the dev@spark list has no mechanism to suspend receipt of emails while retaining a subscription I can see no benefit in posting via email to the archive. You might just as well post direct to the list, especially as you can't suspend subscription emails from the list.

Re: post by email option is missing

Assaf
Thanks for the explanation.

I am still a little confused though.

How would I post directly to the email list? I do not know the email target to use. When getting emails from the archive, I get in the bottom of the email an email address to post to (which returns an undeliverable email response telling me"You can't post by email to a mailing list archive."), when getting from the email list, I get the original email, no additions. I wanted to use the options to set post by email in order to get the unique email to post to in order to create a new thread.

So I guess my question is, how do I figure out the unique email needed in order to create a new topic in the email list by posting by email?

Re: post by email option is missing

If you visit http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com you'll see the forum description says:

If you visit the more options link you are taken to the page:
This page includes a link to the mail list's home page:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spark-dev/
where you find a list of addresses you need to subscribe and unsubscribe and get further information from the original list from which the Nabble archive is built.

I used dev-help@spark.apache.org to get some of the information I needed to make some of my earlier replies in this topic.

Re: post by email option is missing

Assaf
Ok, now I am even more confused.

I am already subscribed to both the archive and the mailing list. What I cannot do is post to the list.

According to http://n3.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=45 I can't simply send an email to the email list, I have to use a specialized link.

I can't find anywhere info on getting the link.
When getting emails from the archive subscription they all have a [via apache spark developers list] in the sender and at the bottom of the email I see:
   To start a new topic under Apache Spark Developers List, email ml+s1001551nXXX@n3.nabble.com

When I try to use that to post, I get a a sending failure which says I can't post to the archive list.

When getting emails from the email list subscription, I don't see any additions which tell me how to post.

When emailing the help ('dev-help@spark.apache.org') and when going to the site (http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spark-dev/) I see nothing about posting by email. The only place I see help on posting by email is in http://n3.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=45 which says there is supposed to be an option on the forum page (which there isn't). I understand the forum page is for the archive but there isn't a forum which isn't the archive.

I still don't understand what steps I need to do in order to post a new message by email instead of doing it from the website.

Re: post by email option is missing

GregChapman
If you wish to post by email to the list then I would ignore the archive and send directly to the mail list itself.

At the top of the page: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spark-dev/
A number of addresses are shown:
To receive every email accepted onto the list use:
dev-subscribe@spark.apache.org
If you don't want to be inundated with mail from the subscription you can limit the mail received to a single email each day containing an extract of each message, subscribe to the digest using:
dev-digest-subscribe@spark.apache.org

Once successfully subscribed you should then be able to post new topics to the mail list using the address:
dev@spark.apache.org
Obviously any mail received from the list can be replied to directly through your email program.

Note than many mail lists place new subscribers "on moderation". When in this state emails sent by that subscriber are not distributed immediately to other subscribers. Instead they are held until a moderator has the time to inspect and approve their content. In some cases that can take several days, so your emails may appear to have gone into a black hole and only appear in a batch much later, once approved by the moderator.

Normally, after a few posts demonstrating that you are not a spammer, moderation will be removed and then your mail will flow to the list immediately - and also appear on the archive.

There is a gaping hole in the help page at:
http://n3.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=45
It fails to mention that you must have registered on the archive . Once registered you will find the Options menu has the additional item "Post by email". However, as I said earlier, that won't work unless you also hold a subscription on the mail list itself. as explained at:.
and, of course, posts made via the archive may be subject to moderation in the same way as they might be if you posted direct to the mail list.